The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

23 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

havent really seen much of it so im assuming that deadpool hasnt got the massive merchandise push that the avengers benefits from either, lego, lunch boxes, toys, outfits etc its all making marvel / disney millions (probably billions tbf) 

This is where they make all their money, not in box office takings. They will do all they can to make as many films as possible at a low rating so that kids get pulled into it and buy the toys. My 4 year old nephew has a full Iron Man and Spiderman costumes and several toys and is obsessed with them both but has not seen either film. But his friends and their older siblings have and that is enough to hook a small kid.

12 hours ago, Chindie said:

A 15 rated Avengers probably doesn't make the money that makes it worthwhile.

Deadpool is an enormous success. It's a deeply unexpected one and it's success is largely down to a brilliant marketing campaign and importantly it's initial cost. It cost under £60m, and it shows. What they achieved with that budget is fantastic, but that's a fifth of the average blockbuster budget.

The higher works for Deadpool, is the right character to do it with. There are others, and there a few that straddle the line between fitting a harder movie and more suitting a lower rating, like Wolverine, but not all comic movies should be more 'adult' and they won't be. But there might be more of them. Certainly there will be a Deadpool sequel - with Cable for extra fun.

Agreed, I don't really expect The Avengers to be cussing and ripping peoples heads off in the next movie, obviously some will be more family friendly and I have no issue with that but those are the ones I will be avoiding in all honesty. The darker tone of Deadpool is exactly what I've been craving in the "comic book" genre, something which I don't feel like I've seen since Kick Ass.

Gervais is really over-doing it in that trailer. Doesn't come across as natural at all. Less is more.

That's exactly the problem. What made the office so great was it was so painfully realistic.

This just looks like a film, being obviously a film.

• Like 2

I've found almost everything he's done since The Office (which I also loved) pretty awful to be fair. Seems like he shot his comedy load with those 2 (and a bit) seasons. His stuff with Karl Pilkington is very funny, though. But I don't know how much credit he can take for that!

Life's Too Short was excellent to be fair. I tend to find I myself going through spells, where I really love Gervais, and then others where I think he's a clearing in the woods.

Gervais has a great track record. As good as al his other stuff is, nothing will beat the Office. The Xmas special, for me, is the greatest comedy episode (well, technically 2) of all time.I think it was as near to perfect as you can get.

I just hope this film is decent 

To be fair, yes, Extras had its moments. But at times it felt incredibly forced. The ending with him in tears on Big Brother was awful. IMO of course. I haven't seen Life's Too Short or Derek. From what I've seen, he's always very funny when presenting the Golden Globes. But The Office is one of my favourite comedies. 

http://Edge of Tomorrow Sequel Finds Its Writers http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/04/08/edge-of-tomorrow-sequel-finds-its-writers

The sequel to Tom Cruise's Edge of Tomorrow has found its writers. Joe Shrapnel and Anna Waterhouse will pen the follow-up to the sci-fi hit.

I dont really know what to make if this. I absolutely loved the movie.The plot was great, the setting, the design ect & while it did well it didn't get the recognition it deserved in terms of box office but I don't really see the need to revisit this. The movie as a standalone was fine, quite surprised by this.

well it was popular and made money, hardly surprising, if rather unnecessary. It was good fun. 

the remake of The Mummy is profoundly weird. The Brendan Fraser one hardly needed a re-boot, but apparently 90's is now a decade considered old enough for this sort of thing :blink:

4 hours ago, Rodders said:

well it was popular and made money, hardly surprising, if rather unnecessary. It was good fun. 

Domestically is did rather poorly at 100m, internationally it did ok with 270m. With its budget at 180m-ish in terms of profits it didn't really do that well. Hence why it's odd they're going back to it.

It was great fun, I loved it. 

Edited by mightysasquatch

I didn't realise that :/

Sundays films:

The Killing Fields and Whiplash.

So much blood! And The Killing Fields was pretty grim too!

Think its time for some comic relief after those two mind, excellent though they are.

Watched Fruitvale Station tonight. Was pretty harrowing but a generally excellent film. That said, there were a few scenes that were slightly grating and even perhaps a bit cynical... The scene with the dog for example. We've got to like him if he cares about dogs!

• Like 1

So went to the cinema and watched "The Boy".....

Less said the better. Was quite retarded really. 

Didn't really help that I literally watched "Housebound" the night before!

Edited by PieFacE

32 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

New trailer! Looks great I think. Tone is spot on. Only downside is that Harley isn't Harley to me. 

This will be the Harley that becomes the 'known' Harley, most cinema viewers will only know this version and there is a chance it will stick.

Still not keen on Leto's Joker or Smith's Deadshot.

Â