The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Michael Bay is responsible for some of the most heinous wastes of celluloid and human time in history, but damn is the Rock not a great action movie even 20 years on.

I can only assume it was a fluke. Or he had a lot of help making it. Even Nicolas Cage is good in it.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Chindie said:

Michael Bay is responsible for some of the most heinous wastes of celluloid and human time in history, but damn is the Rock not a great action movie even 20 years on.

I can only assume it was a fluke. Or he had a lot of help making it. Even Nicolas Cage is good in it.

Sean Connery takes most of the credit for that film .

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Chindie said:

I shut that one off after 30 minutes of it. Awful movie.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Brumerican said:

Sean Connery takes most of the credit for that film .

Ed Harris plus Sean Connery made it that good

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Chindie said:

It's no Con Air

In the right movie, Cage is brilliant. When the script actually warrants his wackiness - like in 'Bad Lieutenant' or 'Raising Arizona' - he's a magnetic screen presence. But he says yes to way too many projects, and even worse, has silly fanboy-ish enthusiasms for really shit projects of his own, which are rubbish. 

• Like 1

He's had taxman problems hasn't he?

For some reason I think it's him that's a serious memorabilia hoarder, got hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of weird and wonderful stuff kicking about

He is also a shit actor in a lot of films that have aged really badly and films that I didn't realise how bad he was until I got older, did like snake eyes and iirc kiss of death

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

For some reason I think it's him that's a serious memorabilia hoarder, got hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of weird and wonderful stuff kicking about

He is also a shit actor in a lot of films that have aged really badly and films that I didn't realise how bad he was until I got older, did like snake eyes and iirc kiss of death

Yes, he has had a few tax problems IIRC and two divorces. Doubtless these are key reasons behind his wanton profligacy.

And you're right about him being a memorabilia hunter, he's owned all sorts of weird shit. I remember he had to return a dinosaur skull to Mongolia after it turned out it was stolen (not by him) for example. I think he also own tons of comic-related stuff, he appears to be a real fanboy of the genre. 

On 03/04/2016 at 01:39, mikeyp102 said:

He is so wooden though 

I'll never get Nichlos Cage. He can seriously act when he wants to. 

Wild at Heart, Leaving Las Vegas and Adaptation he is brilliant. But in many films he is just unwatchable.

8 hours ago, villa4europe said:

He's so much of a fanboy he married Lisa Marie Presley because he loves her dad, and called his son Kal-El because he adores Superman.

He's a very odd bloke. But in the right role, he's not a completely bad actor. It's just the right role is once in a blue moon these days.

3 hours ago, jon_c said:

I'll never get Nichlos Cage. He can seriously act when he wants to. 

Wild at Heart, Leaving Las Vegas and Adaptation he is brilliant. But in many films he is just unwatchable.

Matchstick Men is one of my favourite Cage films 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Chindie said:

He's so much of a fanboy he married Lisa Marie Presley because he loves her dad, and called his son Kal-El because he adores Superman.

He also changed his name to Cage after Marvel's Luke Cage.

Fair play to him for not wanting to rely on the Coppola name, but to name yourself after a superhero instead is major fanboy.

On 02/04/2016 at 18:22, Rds1983 said:

[Cage] is an oscar winner.

Somehow that passed me by.  It's hard to believe, but yes it seems he really did.  I'll be cruel and suggest it must have been a very very weak year in the category.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BOF said:

Somehow that passed me by.  It's hard to believe, but yes it seems he really did.  I'll be cruel and suggest it must have been a very very weak year in the category.

To be fair, he is excellent in Leaving Las Vegas. Quick google shows that he was up against Anthony Hopkins, Richard Dreyfuss, Sean Penn, and Massimo Troisi. Not too shabby. 

Â