The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

1 hour ago, AVFCDAN said:

This is for listeners of the five live movie podcast.

I can't help thinking that its time for Mr Kermode to move on, there's an able replacement already waiting in Robbie Colin who has filled in before and just completed another 2 week stint. I just feel likes he's slightly out of touch these days although he's still good for the odd rant at some of the modern rubbish. Robbie seems like he knows foreign cinema very well but isn't afraid to appreciate the more current films even if the general consensus is that its rubbish, I feel like I'm getting a more rounded review out of him.

Anyone agree?

I like Robbie Collin and he seems a lot more settled in the role now he's had a few cracks at being on TV/radio. He's less of a personality than Kermode though. That probably makes him more useful as a critic and less as an entertainer.

Kermode tends to settle into the same ruts. He has his opinions and his favourites and it takes something spectacular to break or change them. That sometimes means you can guess the review before he even opens his mouth. I can tell you now that Nolan's next feature will be a film of the year for him, and that movie is barely off the ground yet. I can guarantee he will have a lukewarm reception to Civil War. He'll adore Midnight Special and he'll give it a longer mini review on this weeks top 10. But he can be very entertaining.

I would change a couple of things though. I listen to the podcast and the sheer weight of in jokes and slaps on the back the show gives itself is getting too much. And it's all a little too smug.

I listen to it more out of habit than anything else these days. It's a very 'comfortable' listen and I like the dynamic between Kermode and Mayo, so it's definitely something i'll continue to check out.

As for Kermode, like all good critics I agree with some of his reviews and can sometimes be vehemently opposed to them, but what he does have which is undeniable is a vast knowledge of the industry and it's genres. For that alone I genuinely respect his views.

• Like 2

I'd agree with D1 on his knowledge. He knows the most obscure movies in intimate detail, and the industry and the way it operates and that comes to the fore constantly. I think Collin has that as well, but more academically.

Edited by Chindie

I listened to the K&M podcast (and occasionally the live show) religiously for years but I knocked it on the head last year. I just got to the stage where as much as I enjoyed hearing about new movies, I just found Kermode insufferable.

Badum and indeed tish

Tab A slot B

30% light loss

The good lady 'er indoors

I'm not angry, I'm just disappointed

Rinse and repeat every week.

Of course, I'm now missing out on hearing about a bunch of movies that I would have picked up on from their reviews but I'm fairly sure if I listened to another one now, it'd be to the same formula.

Watched The Boy.  Very mediocre effort.  Not bad per se, just a bit meh.  Thankfully not that long so it didn't drag on.  5/10.

Watched that last myself, it was crap but I got a laugh out of it when I copped bishop Len Brennan was Brahms father.

39 minutes ago, Bunnski said:

Watched that last myself, it was crap but I got a laugh out of it when I copped bishop Len Brennan was Brahms father.

Unfortunately I don't get Father Ted references.  Had to Mooney.

22 hours ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

Tried to watch Hail Caesar yesterday. Got bored halfway through which annoyed me because I love the Coen brothers. There was only so much George Clooney looking startled scenes I could take though...

Might be unpopular but I'm gonna say it... Coen Brothers movies... meh

I like some - Big Lebowski and No Country for Old Men but others I've seen.. nah, not overly impressed. 

• Like 1

the big lebowski is probably the most overrated film in history IMO

from what ive seen o brother is good but thats overrated too, its a solid 7/10 film

fargo is superb

ladykillers is shite

true grit is good because of bridges' performance but i didnt think it was mind blowing, dont think ive ever seen it since it first came out, just kind of slipped away rather than regarded as a big film

burn after reading i really enjoyed but can understand that a fair few wont

a serious man i turned off, it was boring me to tears

no country for old men is superb

unbroken wasnt as good as it should have been

bridge of spies is again solid 7/10 stuff, surprised me how well received it was, its something thats been done before and better

so yeah they're a mixed bag but in general id say just ok

Just now, villa4europe said:

the big lebowski is probably the most overrated film in history IMO

totally agree

and my favorite movie of all time more or less is a Coen Bros movie

Man who wasn't there is still my favourite. 

I like most of their work to be fair but I really didn't get on with Intolerable Cruelty.

**EDIT** Actually, after looking at their filmography it's only The Ladykillers and Intolerable Cruelty that I haven't enjoyed. I way prefer the original True Grit but I thought their take on it was an admirable update.

Edited by Designer1

55 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Man who wasn't there is still my favourite. 

I like most of their work to be fair but I really didn't get on with Intolerable Cruelty.

**EDIT** Actually, after looking at their filmography it's only The Ladykillers and Intolerable Cruelty that I haven't enjoyed. I way prefer the original True Grit but I thought their take on it was an admirable update.

Yes Billy bob Thornton is brilliant

Just back from Batman v Superman

i liked it , admittedly I'm not a fan boy so don't have to analyse ever scene to make sure the Pantone colours on Supermans cape are correct  , but overall I thought it was a far better film than anything Marvel have put out in the avengers series of films ... 

Alas it will only go downhill now as they introduce to many characters in the subsequent sequels 

Whilst there are criticisms of BvS due to it's take on the characters, it's been panned mostly for pretty large problems with most facets of the film. It's more than disingenuous to suggest people are down on the movie because they're fanboys who are pissed off that it's not a photocopy from the page.

I didn't hate it, whilst not thinking it's great either, and my issues spanned both the adaptation and the film making. The latter is more important, and there really are elements of the fundamental fabric of that film that do not work. The twist the whole film turns on being a prime suspect.

I'd liken it to Prometheus in that it's just a badly made film IMO lots of good ideas and lots of stuff that should work all lost because of poor writing, editing and directing

I would go as far as to say that I hated it, other than batman none of it worked for me

And before anyone asks "Martha" was as bad as the inability to turn ;)

6 hours ago, Xela said:

Might be unpopular but I'm gonna say it... Coen Brothers movies... meh

I like some - Big Lebowski and No Country for Old Men but others I've seen.. nah, not overly impressed. 

very hit and miss for me, the 2 you mentioned are actually among the ones I dont like same with Ladykillers. Fargo is brilliant same with Miller's Crossing they be my 2 favourites

3 hours ago, choffer said:

Why does the The Hudsucker Proxy never get mentioned when talking Coen films? Possibly my favourite of them all.

Yep, whereas The Big Lebowski is overrated, The Hudsucker Proxy is underrated. It is fully evolved filmmaking that really stirs up visceral feelings. Strange and amusing movie. The Big Lebowski is like a Cheech and Chong movie, it's a total throwaway, and I bet you the Coen Bros would agree with my assessment!

Â