The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Saw Django tonight, quality.

Samuel L and the scene with the hoods were so bloody funny.

Bit with Aussies absolutely not needed, almost frustrating it was left in, I was happy and ready to applaud it as a solid 9, probably fell to an 8 because of that crap 20 mins.

I have absolutely no interest in the propaganda movie Bigelow has put out.

Someone been reading a certain Guardian review? The same Guardian reviewer who gave The Fantastic Four 4 stars!

To claim Zero Dark Thirty is propaganda is very short sighted, america looked for him and america found him this is the story, simple.

Edited by VillaForever1970

No, I don't read the Guardians film reviews.

There's been more than enough talk to make me decidedly suspicious of the film. That a debate about some aspects of the film exists is enough to set my alarm bells ringing and is enough to prevent me from seeing the film.

A feeling that isn't helped by the fact I didn't particularly like the Hurt Locker.

Cloud Atlas, while flawed is still a good movie imv. One that is certainly going to divide opinion. Like The Fountain which was also flawed, I think critically so, you had to admire Aranofskis ambition with that movie. Cloud Atlas is the same, very ambitious and I think it works more than it fails. It's worth a 2nd viewing before I can fully make my mind up about it.

But I like movies that actually try something. 

Watched Django Unchained last week, if Tarantino did a western it would be this, it did exactly what it says on the tin. Christoph Waltz was excellent. Other than that as I love Vegas going to rewatch The Hangover now.

I'm still yet to see Django, but hopefully I'll catch it in the coming week.

Watched The Prestige last night.  Very good film, although I was a bit disappointed by:

The magician played by Jackman's big teleportation/cloning trick using Tesla's device.  I know it's a film about magic, but while the striving for 'real magic' through such science was believable, I felt that this trick took away from the realism that had been presented behind the magic throughout the film up to that point.

Edited by Troglodyte

Jack Reacher - a decent adaptation from the book "One Shot".

My missus didn't like Cruise in the lead role but I thought he was OK considering he's half the physical size of the character.

Rosamund Pike was also very nice to look at :D

Watched The Matrix last night... probably the first time I have watched it in one go since I watched it at the Erdington Showcase in the late 90's (i think?).

I still think it looks very fresh. I forgot how good it was as well. 

Movies I've seen recently

Django - Awesome fun

Zero Dark 30 - Ok, but last act is great.

Lincoln - Day Lewis doesn't over act like I expected, good movie but overly Spielbergian which grates at times

Silver Linings Playbook - decent enough

Cloud Atlas - Mentiond above, good if flawed.

lincoln -

i think my biggest problem is its not the film i wanted it to be, theres next to no war stuff in there and IMO the civil war is very interesting, it starts just after he's been re-elected, id have liked it earlier but thats not what its about

i also cant remember the last time i saw a film that had so much assumed knowledge, i always thought lincoln was taught to kids in yankland at a evry early age, with the gettysburg address done at school plays etc, this just drives that home, the gettysburg address is read out but gettysburg itself isnt mentioned, emancipation proclamation is mentioned but not in any great detail, different politicians and characters are introduced but who / what they are isnt, so especially at the start you are given lots of names but their significance isnt apparent, the centre of the film is the workings of american politics, which i would say i understand to an extent but when 6 men are standing round shouting at each other about it its not easy to pick everything up, was also surprised that the slavery element in it isnt that strong, lincoln's desire to abolish it unless i missed it wasnt even explored, there was a mention of his dad not liking it but nothing deep and meaningful, or a decent look at TLJ character and his motives other than the thing at the end

the overall result IMO is that its a bit boring and surprisingly not really that emotive

Â