The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I liked this comment on Les Mis from little white lies

'Cinema will literally have to find new and exciting ways of being awful in order to trump Les Misérables at its own game. But the very act of searching for innovations in the field of awfulness will then bestow those films with a spark that will automatically make them more interesting and artistically vital than Hooper's.'

Scott Adams (Dilbert creator) didn't think it was up to much either:

"...I usually fall asleep during movies. If you put me in a darkened room for more than thirty minutes, it doesn't matter how good the entertainment is; I'll be off to dreamland before the opening credits are done. I tried hard to sleep through Les Miserables but I was continuously thwarted by something they call "singing." This movie was full of singing. And by singing, I mean the sad wailing of filthy, miserable people. If you would like to hear the entire soundtrack of Les Miserables without paying for a ticket, try punching your cat. But whatever you do, don't let your cat watch Les Miserables because that would be cruel. I don't care if your cat shredded your mattress and ate your wedding ring. The punishment would not be proportional to the crime..."

http://www.dilbert.com/blog/

Jason Manford's review :lol:

"Went to the movies with the wife. We saw this obscure movie I had never heard of, some French foreign film. They must have been giving away free tickets because the lines were out the door. Anyway, the movie starts and Wolverine is singing his guts out. then Catwoman starts crying and singing and it's all very moving. The only problem was, the girl next to me, who had apparently read the book or something, starts singing along. it was very distracting. so Wolverine is on the run from the Gladiator because Catwoman had a baby at Borat's house, but now she wants Wolverine to care for her. Time skip. A bunch of kids get shot, and in the end everyone dies. Four stars."

Singing conversations in films bring me out in a rash. I get violent episodes if someone bursts into song in a film. I'm even getting angry and anxious typing this thinking about musicals.

I despise everything that that toad Lloyd Weber ever did. The very thought of sitting through a film of Lez **** Mizz makes me want to vomit.

You'll love this then cos ALW had nothing to do with The Glums.

Edited by choffer

Singing conversations in films bring me out in a rash. I get violent episodes if someone bursts into song in a film. I'm even getting angry and anxious typing this thinking about musicals.

In opera sung speech is called recitativo, I despise it.

You'll love this then cos ALW had nothing to do with The Glums.

That's amazing. All these years, I assumed it was ALW.

Probably because all the ALW fans seem to love it.

Anyway, I've heard some of the songs, and they are easily crap enough to have been by him.

That's amazing. All these years, I assumed it was ALW.

Probably because all the ALW fans seem to love it.

Anyway, I've heard some of the songs, and they are easily crap enough to have been by him.

Cameron macintosh innit. Possibly worse than ALW because it has a pretence of not being (knowingly) shit.

Edited by choffer

It's a weird confession to make, but I actually really like "I Dreamed a Dream" from Les Mis.

I've never seen it, in any form, and neither am I much of a fan of musicals. But I just really like that song, certain notes do something to me that I can't explain.

Weird.

That being said, I've heard Hathaway's version and, whilst she obviously has a very good voice, I'm not a fan of that take on it.

I won't be making a point of going to see it, but I reckon if someone asked me to go with them, I'd probably go out of curiosity.

watched lincoln last night and while good im still leaning towards washington for the nod

Fitting Lincoln and Washington into the one sentence. Excellent work. I doff my cap to thee.

Â