The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

watched two very different but equally enjoyable films over the weekend

First off, How I Spent My Summer Vacation, starring Mel Gibson as a crook who steals lots of cash and gets banged up in the most bizarre Mexican prison! Decent plot, well acted with some very funny moments interspersed amongst a bit of action. worth a watch!

Secondly (and been mentioned on here before) Moonrise Kingdom, for me one of Wes Anderson's finest, well shot, brilliantly acted (especially by the kids) with an ultra-cooky plotline.

All in all, a good weekend of films for me and the wife!

On the Tarantino theme, i went to see Pulp Fiction at "The Giant Screen" on Friday.

Obviously it's no news to anyone (myself included, I've seen it abotu 20 times) that it's awesome, but seeing it there was very enjoyable. It looked great.

Think they're showing some of his other films over the next couple of weeks (as well as Django, obviously) so I'd recommend it if you're a fan. Tickets were a fiver.

Only disappointment were the trailers. Apart from the inevitable one for Django, the rest were for shit comic book films, and Star Trek (which I have zero intention of ever watching)

Edited by Stevo985

Agreed about We Need to Talk About Kevin. I too found it quite dull and it seemed pretty obvious where it was headed.

Think I might go watch Gangster Squad this week. Anyone seen it? Any good?

I went to see 'Gangster Squad' and 'Les Miserables' over the weekend. Both are worth a watch, yet neither are without their faults.

Firstly 'Gangster Squad' was very entertaining. It felt paper thin though and is basically an action film at times. Little plot, yet pretty entertaining throughout. Gosling is good as always and Emma Stone is in good form too (as well as looking amazing). It's entertaining stuff and worth watching if you leave your brain at the door. It could have been so much more with the cast though and does feel like a bit of a missed opportunity.

Then there is 'Les Miserables'. Now, the cast in this film are all at there best. I'm one of the people that thinks Crowe can't sing, although he did make a good attempt at it I suppose. Jackman, Hathaway and Barks steal the show. Plus Sacha Baron Cohen works really well in his role, providing some funny moments. The film did drag for me in the last 30 minutes, yet I liked the rest of it and thought it was a really good musical adaptation. There were about 20 too many closeups though and it does feel like it was shot on a DSLR (bokeh overkill). Other than that it looks really nice (even a lot of the bokeh filled shots are nice) and if you like the musical then go and see it. Even if you don't like the musical then I would still say it's worth giving a go.

Bit behind but I thought the hobbit was pretty poor. It got better after the drawn out meeting at the beginning, but it didn't do a lot for me.

Re Tarantino, I was really excited a few years ago when there were rumours of him doing a Bond. That would be awesomepic.

I watched "War Horse" last night. Typical Speilberg corniness. Could have been better.

Bit behind but I thought the hobbit was pretty poor. It got better after the drawn out meeting at the beginning, but it didn't do a lot for me.

Re Tarantino, I was really excited a few years ago when there were rumours of him doing a Bond. That would be awesomepic.

Based on what I've heard, I'll wait until the Hobbit comes out on DVD

Yeah, I quite liked Death Proof too. Always gives me a hankering for nachos, plus Mary Elizabeth Winstead dressed as a cheerleader.

tumblr_lmnuokKBFu1qawmjso1_1280.jpg

Boner Time

So saw Citizen Kane, a few nights ago and really enjoyed it. Fairplay, when something is cited so often I can't help but think it's going to disappoint but it was very enjoyable, had a good natter with my mate about it for a while afterwards which is always the sign of a good'un. Orson Welles was rather good wasn't he? Have seen the Third Man as well and got A Touch of Evil lined up next too. Any other well known Orson films to have a gander at?

Caught Pans Labyrinth last night, hadnt seen it for a few years. Its such an awesome film and I had forgotten just how grisly it can be in parts.

Yeah, the torture scenes are hard to watch. Strange film, a good film, but one watch is enough for me...

Not sure I agree.

I agree that his take on a bond film (so his own movie but based on a james bond style, if you like) would be good (or at least interesting)

But I don't think him making an ACTUAL Bond film would be good. For Bond's sake.

A Touch of Evil is brilliant, once you get past Heston as a Mexican.

Agreed. Great movie, arguably the last ever film noir of the 40s-50s golden era.

Good soundtrack, too.

Did anyone else feel that Argo was a bit of a let down? I love Gone Baby Gone and The Town, but thought Argo, whilst it was great to watch, was hardly amazing.

I didn't find it particularly thrilling, also didn't get caught up with any moments of suspense. Was just a good story, which was made well. I don't think it's necessarily anything special, certainly not best film of the year.

Â