The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

im a history buff and nearly fell asleep after half an hour of it

I'm sorry but this doesn't make any sense, in your review from the previous page you said you didn't like it because it has assumed knowledge. Now you're saying you're a history buff. If you were a history buff surely you'd have the assumed knowledge??

what i mean is i love history, im really interested in the american civil war, so on paper lincoln should be right up my street, i went to see it with the hope that it would tell me something i didnt know but would understand instead what it did was fire a load of stuff at me which i had no real chance of understanding because they make no real effort in explaining, probably the easiest example being that other than the secretary of state (who you get told who he is around 10 minutes after he 1st comes on) you dont get told who any of his cabinet are, the names are mentioned their roles arent, most of it is the workings of american politics and how the 13th ammendment was passed

the film is about lincoln needing a 2/3 majority vote but the republicans being 20 seats short of winning so they set about convincing 20 democrats to vote yes without using cash to bribe them so instead they target democrats who hold office but have lost the last election so will soon be replaced by offering them cushy jobs such as postmaster

its all a bit boring IMO i wasnt expecting a war film by any stretch but wasnt expecting what it is either

there might be a cock on the block moment -

lincoln telling the southern delegation not to come to washington in an attempt to get it passed rather than rejected on the basis that the war was ending anyway and then lincoln's written message denying they were in washington (which im assuming was what he'd done, the lawyers trick, the question was are they in washington, the answer was no so he hasnt actually lied, again that was never shown so thats an assumption too)

that could be significant in the film or common knowledge i dont know, i just thought the film went far too deep down the politics route with then a look at his relationships with his wife and sons, didnt even try and make a proper suggestion as to why lincoln was so against slavery or as to what made him a good president, tells you he was assasinated but doesnt tell you who by or why (that i did know)

Looper. Brilliant and then kinda shits out the good will it earns for no good reason in the final 20 minutes.

Well worth a watch but crikey it makes a plot turn that undermines everything that came before it a little.

Just seen Beasts of the Southern Wild.

Beautiful film. Not visually but more emotionally. A lot of shaky cam, but didn't bother me too much.

What a remarkable performance by young Wallis. 

Hard to believe she was just six at the time of filming.

Totally this.

After seeing him in "Rome" I thought he'd be perfect as Reacher, even said as much on the Lee Child forum

I think Michael Shannon would have been brilliant

tall, physically imposing and the weathered stern face that tells you to "back the **** off"

you can also see his characters thoughts churning over in his head which is key to Reachers character as he is a deep thinker

only downfall is perhaps he is not buff or handsome enough for the role I guess but his other attributes would more than make up for that

Looper. Brilliant and then kinda shits out the good will it earns for no good reason in the final 20 minutes.

Well worth a watch but crikey it makes a plot turn that undermines everything that came before it a little.

looper is utter tripe...............................................................................................................................................................imo

Edited by Meath_Villan

looper is utter tripe...............................................................................................................................................................imo

Watched it yesterday and I have to agree. It really was hard work.

I was quite enjoying it as a well made bit of near future sci fi with nice ideas, I liked the look and the world it had created. I liked the performances, generally, too. For an hour and a bit I really enjoyed it.

It makes a really, really daft change of direction then that seems totally superfluous and actually doesn't do anything for the film positively, beyond giving an excuse to have a couple of SFX scenes that you get the feeling the film makers hoped would be somewhat iconic. The end of the film knocked the shine off it markedly, but I still think, for that first 2/3rds, it's a decent watch that belies it's budget. It was actually cheaper to make than Dredd.

I re-watched the original 'Planet of the Apes' last night. I forgot how weighty that film was, for its time. In fact, would a film now have what is essentially a court scene debating science vs faith? Also, never has a film changed so much on one line: Towards the end, when they blow up the cave, one ape shouts "What about the future!" and Dr Zaius replies "I may have just saved it for you." Well, take that line out and it is a film very much anti-dogma, but with that line it becomes very much anti-science. I can't remember another film that changes meaning completely with one line.

Still, a classic all the same.

(Although, The SImpsons did it better)

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner

I have never seen Planet of the Apes (any version).

I hate apes, monkeys, etc., and everything to do with them - even when they are humans in costume.

Not a phobia exactly, I just find them revolting.

The original Planet of the Apes is a brilliant movie and as CED says, there are a lot of questions thrown at you along the way but not in an 'in your face' way. It's one of those films genuinely worth watching.

Not sure you can have a spoiler for a 45 year old film but anyhoo ...

It was also the first series of films that a young me watched that had a cyclical time line that blew my mind

:)

So has anyone seen Zero Dark Thirty yet? (I remember us discussing what we thought it WOULD be like, but don't recall anyone actually giving a review or anything)

Taking my dad to see it on Friday (as there's little else on that he'd like)

Â