The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Watched The Matrix last night... probably the first time I have watched it in one go since I watched it at the Erdington Showcase in the late 90's (i think?).

I still think it looks very fresh. I forgot how good it was as well. 

I think matrix 2 and 3 made me forget how good it was

They rank as two of the worse films I've ever seen to the point they tainted the original

Watching The Fighter on C4.  The Micky Ward biopic.  I forgot how awful the gor blimey Merry Poppings British accents were at the end of the film where he fights in England. :crylaugh:

On the topic of movies you haven't watched in years, I watched 'The Truman Show' for the first time since it came out (or just after... on video!). What a wonderful film it is. Also, Peter Weir has to be one of the best directors around. Gallipoli, Witness... even Master and Commander: Far Side of the World was, imo, considerably better than Pirates of the Carribean.

Jack Reacher - a decent adaptation from the book "One Shot".

My missus didn't like Cruise in the lead role but I thought he was OK considering he's half the physical size of the character.

Rosamund Pike was also very nice to look at :D

Who did she want as Reacher? I thought he was too fresh faced for a supposed drifter.

Josh Brolin, Mickey Rourke or Liam Neeson would have made the film a lot more satisfying I think. Where he goes to separate the fighting couple on the bus, imagine Jeff Bridges.

Who did she want as Reacher? I thought he was too fresh faced for a supposed drifter.

Josh Brolin, Mickey Rourke or Liam Neeson would have made the film a lot more satisfying I think. Where he goes to separate the fighting couple on the bus, imagine Jeff Bridges.

I always saw Ray Stevenson as Jack Reacher for some reason...

Edited by theboyangel

They rank as two of the worse films I've ever seen to the point they tainted the original

I actually don't think 3 is THAT bad.

Don't get me wrong, it doesn't come close to the first one. But I think the second just ruined any chance it had of being a decent trikogy. I think if 3 was the only sequel, people would have been ok with it.

But then again, I only saw it once and it was at the cinema, so maybe my memory is tainted.

I always saw Ray Stevenson as Jack Reacher for some reason...

Totally this.

After seeing him in "Rome" I thought he'd be perfect as Reacher, even said as much on the Lee Child forum

I thought the first Matrix was awful so lord knows how bad the sequels must be :)

watched J Edgar

the films main story is the relationship between him and his mother and the relationship between him and clyde tolson shown at different periods of his life and with plenty of mentions of scandals and presidents

problem is IMO the sexual tension between hoover and tolson is nowhere as good a story as the relationship between hoover and say the kennedys and it never really goes beyond tension, so like most biopic films it doesnt have a cock on the block moment where it actually tries to make a statement about hoover, just a lot of suggestion

hoover and kennedys differing opinions on the mafia and communism and the files hoover therefore kept on him could probably make a very interesting film by itself yet its given a 30 second throw away scene

As someone who doesn't know much about Hoover, I wasn't aware of what was missing from his story. So I probably benefitted from seeing the movie as a piece of entertainment rather than as some attempt at a comprehensive history of the man. I thought it was really rather good. I thought Di Caprio was brilliant as Hoover. I thought all the suggestion you refer to was enough to let you know that those were the things going on, without making them dominate the story. It also gave mention to plenty of ways in which he had a hold over certain people, while letting you know that a lot of those ways were not above board. All while showing you his obvious loneliness, fragility and reliance upon his mother's guidance. It made me sympathise with someone who I suspect I probably wouldn't sympathise with if I did know his story. In fact I imagine he is probably the very personification of everything I am suspicious of in this modern surveillance society. He is the grandfather of surveillance. It really is all about Di Caprio's performance though. And I've never seen a more convincing visual of a 'young man playing a 65/70 year old'. It's not a film I would plan in advance to sit down and watch, so I'm glad it happened to be starting just as I was about to sit down to watch a film :)

Couldn't agree more.

The great thing about the original as it was a sleeper hit, I went to see it not know what it was about tbh. Was amazing. 

On the topic of movies you haven't watched in years, I watched 'The Truman Show' for the first time since it came out (or just after... on video!). What a wonderful film it is. Also, Peter Weir has to be one of the best directors around. Gallipoli, Witness... even Master and Commander: Far Side of the World was, imo, considerably better than Pirates of the Carribean.

Love the Truman Show, it's problem was the studios marketed it as another Jim Carrey comedy, when it was nothing like Dumb and Dumber or Ace Venture etc.. 

Also came out before the reality TV explosion. 

Â