The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

So has anyone seen Zero Dark Thirty yet? (I remember us discussing what we thought it WOULD be like, but don't recall anyone actually giving a review or anything)

Taking my dad to see it on Friday (as there's little else on that he'd like)

Yes. I commented a few pages ago...

Zero Dark Thirty is very good indeed. Not without it's problems (main

character lacks a decent backstory, the movie assumes you know alot

about the history and details of the events and some of the dialogue is a

bit vague) but Jessica Chastain is superb, the direction is pretty much

flawless and it does ask some interesting questions.

Well, "Quartet" may not appeal to the car chase and shoot-em-up audience, but for my money it's a damn fine directorial debut from Dustin Hoffman.

Sure, the screenplay is on the twee and sentimental side, but a cast like that won't let you down.

Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Is it bad that I really want to see "Movie 43" just because of how bad it apparently is?

The New York Times said:

It's rare to see a piece of shit that actually looks and sounds like a piece of shit

That, right there, should be on the poster.

Edited by Stevo985

Watched Carnage last week.  Very enjoyable, though I haven't seen the stageplay and admittedly I could watch Christoph Waltz read the ingredients off a packet of crisps for two hours and still be enthralled.  As a bonus, Escape From New York was on the telly t'other day too.  A-number-one.  B)

Watched Carnage last week.  Very enjoyable, though I haven't seen the stageplay and admittedly I could watch Christoph Waltz read the ingredients off a packet of crisps for two hours and still be enthralled.  As a bonus, Escape From New York was on the telly t'other day too.  A-number-one.  B)

I loved Carnage. I think it's always tricky to pull off the two/three/four hander format, Polanski translated the stage play very well. Thought it was an acting masterclass too with a great ensemble cast.

As for Escape from New York? It's always going to have a special place in my heart as it was one of the 'holy trinity' of films from my youth that really got me interested in movies (Blade Runner and The Thing being the other two). The storyline, direction, soundtrack and cast all go towards making it a classic.

Escape from LA never happened though ok? ;)

The Thing is a great film.

Watched it last year for the first time. I must admit I thought "Oh it's an old horror film, it was probably great when it came out but it'll be shit watching it now"

Was it ****.

Yeah great horrors, old or not, are as much about the story; the situation; as about the gore. It's why the Exorcist* is still a good film.

* a film that my mother to this day refuses to watch since she saw it in the cinema back in the day

Yeah great horrors, old or not, are as much about the story; the situation; as about the gore. It's why the Exorcist* is still a good film.

* a film that my mother to this day refuses to watch since she saw it in the cinema back in the day

That's the thing about the Exorcist, It's not only a great horror movie, it's a great movie full stop.

That's the thing about the Exorcist, It's not only a great horror movie, it's a great movie full stop.

Well yes quite. I was using THE standout example so as to ram the point irrefutably home :mrgreen:

Nah just watch it Gareth. You're a big boy :) It's just a tense film that has evil running through it. Not horror for horror's sake. And a masterpiece in film.

Useless fact, one of my best mates was born a few doors down from that very house in Georgetown.

The Shining is the only film I've ever watched that has made me feel uneasy watching it. That it does this on every rewatch is astounding. Shelley Duvall being a bit ropey throughout didn't even hurt it.

The Exorcist is great... But I think Kubricks film is probably the greatest horror.

Â