The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

On 17/04/2023 at 06:01, desensitized43 said:

Just watched seven kings must die. Enjoyable if very rushed ending to the last kingdom. Would have preferred another season if I’m honest.

Same watched it, some bad some good parts, especially for the end scene. There was even more teleportation than in the series as well, I'm guessing to go from Bamburgh to Winchester would take about a week on horseback

Edited by VillaJ100

17 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

Same watched it, some bad some good parts, especially for the end scene. There was even more teleportation than in the series as well, I'm guessing to go from Bamburgh to Winchester would take about a week on horseback

I must admit I liked the end scene if only because having been to Bamburgh castle recently that's really one of the most impressive castles in the country. Really imposing.

Did think the same about the teleporting. Was really jarring to see characters in Winchester in one scene and then in the next scene the same characters the other end of the country. It's probably more than a week unless you want to kill your horse en route!

I watcher the Luther Film on Netflix:  4/10

I was hoping for much better,  long running time so it should all work.

There are so many things wrong with it that it would take too long.

Spoiler

A few, 
Prison Escape - Everything about it, Nope

Plot Device - Introduce daughter 1 minute before abduction / no thought on safety. 
Ice - People under specific points on way to house. Nope

Escape from Soho transmission location,  how ?

Stabbing people with big coats on has zero effect.

Fire at end,  I don't know what's going on here at all.  

How can Golum beat up a 6ft what ever Luther even with a weapon,  twice.

Why has everyone tuning in got a personal camera,  how does expansion work  ?  Bigger room or smaller cameras.

Shooting guns in London is ok and attracts almost no attention.
ANPR is off at the moment which is nice,  so are any port controls on escaped prisoners'.

Did my head in.

16 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Now wondering what's wrong with you?🤣

At least you knew what film I was referencing. 

Moved to here (Total Recall chat).

There’s a few films of that ilk from that time which I’ve never really got. I don’t dislike them but I wouldn’t be particularly fussed if I never saw them again.

I’m not bothered about Total Recall, Commando, Robo Cop, Tango & Cash…they’re all a bit <shrugs shoulders> I can see why they’re loved, but I’m kinda left a bit cold. 

My hunch is I watched them too late. I think a lot of people (well, let’s face it, men) who love them watched these when they were 12 and there’s a nostalgia element which I’m missing out on. 

That is only part of the reason why - I’m sure people do genuinely like these films beyond that.

On the flip side, I’ve mentioned a few times on here about my fondness of The Running Man. I watched that as a kid, so it has that nostalgic quality for me the others don’t. And I can see the flaws with that one, I could understand the view that it’s not objectively as good as those others I’ve listed. But I really like it.

1 minute ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Moved to here (Total Recall chat).

There’s a few films of that ilk from that time which I’ve never really got. I don’t dislike them but I wouldn’t be particularly fussed if I never saw them again.

I’m not bothered about Total Recall, Commando, Robo Cop, Tango & Cash…they’re all a bit <shrugs shoulders> I can see why they’re loved, but I’m kinda left a bit cold. 

My hunch is I watched them too late. I think a lot of people (well, let’s face it, men) who love them watched these when they were 12 and there’s a nostalgia element which I’m missing out on. 

That is only part of the reason why - I’m sure people do genuinely like these films beyond that.

On the flip side, I’ve mentioned a few times on here about my fondness of The Running Man. I watched that as a kid, so it has that nostalgic quality for me the others don’t. And I can see the flaws with that one, I could understand the view that it’s not objectively as good as those others I’ve listed. But I really like it.

For me it's not just watching them as a kid but also at Uni with my mates.

You could add something like Conan and Predator to your list too.

If you love Running Man watch the 'musical' on YouTube by legolambs. Very good, as is all their stuff (particularly the Predator musical).

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

For me it's not just watching them as a kid but also at Uni with my mates.

You could add something like Conan and Predator to your list too.

If you love Running Man watch the 'musical' on YouTube by legolambs. Very good, as is all their stuff (particularly the Predator musical).

Yeah, I think there’s a formative quality they had for men our age that I missed out on. 

Conan, never seen. Predator I love and would be tempted to say it’s the best Arnie film (obviously the first two terminator films, but funnily enough I don’t think of them as “Arnie films” in the same way as I think of Predator or Commando as being “Arnie films” but that’s a whole other discussion). But again, I saw Predator when I was younger. 

Thanks, will check out the running man musical, I have seen the predator one - ♫ stop shaving you don’t have a beard ♫ :D

On 21/04/2023 at 18:39, Designer1 said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Magnificent. 

On 21/04/2023 at 19:38, AVFCDAN said:

Tell me more, this is worth seeing?

Just got back from this

I loved the ED Easter Eggs that were dotted around the film, for some reason the opening titles have stuck in my mind more than anything, it just looked **** awesome.

I like the fact that they haven't tried to "go big" with it, it is still in effect some deadites in a cabin...just this cabin is in a highrise block of flats, it was actually pretty understated as far as the gore goes (I mean, it was an absolute blood bath but compared to the 2013 film it didn't seem quite as gore dependant)

Alyssa Sutherland was the absolute highlight of the film, she was **** brilliant, I loved how campy it felt at times without going over the top and turning into a comedy (apart from one scene which I thought just felt totally out of place but it was another Easter Egg so I'll let it slide) 

I didn't think that the ending was too brilliant though, the 2013 ending was spectacular and this one just seemed a bit...not "meh" but not great, it was good though.

I do find myself struggling to connect the 2013 and ED Rise to the Bruce Campbell films though, I know that they technically aren't related but I'm pretty sure that the plan with the 2013 film was that Mia and Bruce were going to end up being thrust together at some point, I mean it could still happen, they just feel so tonally different that it is hard to put them together.

Anyways, if you are an Evil Dead fan, go watch it.

Batman begins now finished, watching the next two on sky movies back to back

Such a good film, some massive performances from some very heavyweight actors. sets the next one up perfectly.
I’ll grab a couple of beers and some popcorn.

Ledgers joker 😎🙏

for me this trilogy is the benchmark Batman. The new one was good but honestly do not think it will hit the heights of the trilogy. Maybe wrong, but will be fun to find out. 

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 1

Denzel Washington double header on Sunday. Watched Man On Fire for the first time in about 15 years and it's Tony Scott as hell although a bit heavier than, for example, Unstoppable. What I'd give to have Tony Scott back with us for another Scott/Denzel collaboration. 

Followed up by my maybe 49th watch of Inside Man which is just great fun.

Both on Amazon Prime.

2 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Looks promising to be honest :thumb:

It's looking far far far better than anyone would have expected.

It's just a shame they've gimmicked it a bit with Keaton. It could be great but it does feel a bit cynical 'member berries' stunt writing. Plus multiverse stuff is shite. Although if you're going to mess with that, doing it around the Flashpoint story is a good way to do it.

• Like 1

my problem is that its DC, its got 2 x flash and im guessing they'll be a bit clever and put some sort of origin story in there for him even if its done via time travelling and out of sequence, its got 2x batman, its got supergirl and its leaning heavily on you seeing all their previous films, including superman

looks better than the rest of their shit films though

the trailer was shown at a new (?) conference called cinema con on the go by the look of it, showing a fair chunk of new stuff including aquaman 2, blue beetle, kraven the hunter, wonka, dune 2, meg 2, confirmed a new beetlejuice, more barbie stuff, new ghostbusters

Â