The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

On 20/03/2023 at 22:27, mjmooney said:

Tonight's movie: Everything, Everywhere, All At Once. 

We made it to halfway before we bailed out. 

Yeah I struggled with it a bit.  Didn't get to the end.  

But it's won all the oscars and had great reviews, so I'm gonna give it another go at some point.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Someone recommended the film :Honeyboy to me. Any opinions. 

Very good film. I'm not too familiar with the background of the story but I believe it in some ways reflects Shia LaBeouf's life. So in that regard it's an interesting watch. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sheepyvillian said:

Someone recommended the film :Honeyboy to me. Any opinions. 

Yeah, as @PieFacE says, it's a very good movie and an interesting look at the pressure put on talented children by their parents. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Very good film. I'm not too familiar with the background of the story but I believe it in some ways reflects Shia LaBeouf's life. So in that regard it's an interesting watch. 

That's what I was told. I believe he actually plays his father. 

12 hours ago, Jon said:

Yeah I struggled with it a bit.  Didn't get to the end.  

But it's won all the oscars and had great reviews, so I'm gonna give it another go at some point.  

It’s an amazing film. But it’s completely different to anything I’ve seen before,  so I guess I can see how people wouldn’t like it. 

• Like 1

image.thumb.jpeg.876cf46c9f87755bcdb75aef947b7ffa.jpeg

this has been somewhat of a standing joke in our house for some months pending release and because of this highly anticipated

I did not expect a lot and was not disappointed in that respect. Worth a watch for the curiosity value and the girl in the hot tub with the big boobies (having accidentally looked up her IMbd profile  it appears she is only 4ft 10 . A real life midget gem) 

I suppose it also has a good death count if you like that type of thing

Edited by Follyfoot

On 20/03/2023 at 15:49, Follyfoot said:

Not at all a bad way to kill a couple of hours, quite funny in parts and solid action. Hugh Grant is the highlight doing his best Micheal Caine impersonation  

image.jpeg.6a8660f016af9dba735aace027a43e77.jpeg

How did you manage to watch this?

12 minutes ago, DeadlyDirk said:

How did you manage to watch this?

Seen allot worse, does not take itself too seriously. The female lead is pleasant on the eye and Hugh Grant is watchable. Statham is on good form. What is there not to like 

1 hour ago, Follyfoot said:

Seen allot worse, does not take itself too seriously. The female lead is pleasant on the eye and Hugh Grant is watchable. Statham is on good form. What is there not to like 

Sorry let me re-phrase.... What service did you find this on, I want to watch it! 

• Haha 3

Watched The Banshees of Inisherin and The Wind That Shakes the Barley last night.

Enjoyed both. Thought Banshees was a bit slow and drawn out for the last half hour, but lots of brilliant lines and great acting.

TWTSTB was excellent. Think it got panned in the UK as pro IRA propaganda when it came out, but hard to argue with its broad depiction of the conflict if you read up on it, maybe some of the details.

Edited by KentVillan
  • Like 1

Watched Operation Fortune this morning. Thought Hugh Grant was reprising Fletcher. Not a bad thing but he wasn’t. Good old hoakum. Worth a watch if you like an action film. 

• Like 1

I realise suspension of disbelief is required for John Wick movies but Winston's teeth in Chapter 4 really took me out of the movie.  Not sure if they were CGI but they were definitely not British teeth.  Everything else in the film is super believable.  

• Like 1

Just now, Designer1 said:

Just back from...

spacer.png

Yeah, in a nutshelnuif you like the film series you won't be disappointed.

its all utterly ridiculous, but technically masterful and brilliantly entertaining. 

I thought it was fantastic.

I watched it online 3 days ago , Very watchable copy too but this deserves to be seen on a big screen.

The dragon's breath shotgun scene was incredible and Donnie Yen is fantastic.      It's pretty much a flawless franchise which is rare these days.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Just back from...

spacer.png

Yeah, in a nutshelnuif you like the film series you won't be disappointed.

its all utterly ridiculous, but technically masterful and brilliantly entertaining. 

I thought it was fantastic.

Taking my lad in Tuesday evening - really looking forward to it! 

I love Fincher's The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I've not watched it for a good few years, but I can still vividly recall how good so much of it is.

So I remembered that a few years back, they released a sequel/soft reboot with Claire Foy in the role of Lisbeth. It's free to stream for Amazon Prime subs I discovered.

Ooft.

Umm. Where to start? You know something is wrong when the opening is a Bond style pre title sequence, but with Dragon Tattoo stylings and David Fincher curtains. Instead of Bond on some overblown globe trotting mission we get Salander in a feminist vigilante attack with the tone we expect from the first film (

Spoiler

you know, the kind of tone you get from watching a dirty rapist being sodomised with a 2 ft long steel dildo before being booted in the gut and having 'rapist' tattooed on them

), plus 'computers are magic', before bouncing into a section where we're informed she's basically Batman for battered wives.

And then the plot starts. And it's **** stupid. Stephen Merchant has created a programme that essentially allows anyone with the programme and able to access it to access any nuclear launch system in the world. Having been sacked from his job he realises this programme is probably dangerous, and hires magic hacker Lisbeth to steal it, even though it's supposedly unstealable. She steals it. This starts a series of events that ultimately blah blah blah.

It's kinda hard to put into context how stupid this plot is, but it makes some of the worst Bond plots look like high art. I mean... Even setting aside the absolutely mind numbingly stupid concept of a guy making a programme that can access any nuclear system remotely, we soon discover that the guy made it with an access protocol that essentially makes his son the access key. I wish I was kidding. Other highlights include an underground crime gang being called the Spiders (why? They have spider tatts and ever gang needs a cool name, right?), Lisbeth having the super power of magic hacking and the worlds most powerful stun gun, and a nerd being a supernaturally gifted sniper who can shoot through walls largely because computers are magic.

If you set aside the plot you realise it is basically a framework to stick action scenes on, painted in the style of the Fincher film. But that's kinda the problem. The Fincher film doesn't really have pulse raising action scenes. It doesn't need them. It's a whodunnit mystery thriller with a nasty dirty sexual sadism undercurrent. The biggest action scene is a minute long chase that ends when someone does an overtake. But that's all it needs, the rest of it is so good and compelling you don't need to be wowed with cool stunts and shit.

And it's not even like the action is mind-blowing. It's completely standard thriller stuff. If that. A couple of chases, a couple of fights, a crash.

And the cast is rubbish. Claire Foy tries but she's miscast and the script is so bad she can't do anything anyway. Craig's replacement is a ghost playing a part that barely exists, and barely needs to. Stephen Merchant was on set for a few days. The best character is the sniper nerd and even he would disappear if he turned side on.

What might be the worst thing though, is the distinct feeling that the producers of this film fancied they might get a new franchise going here, and that's why it's so like a Bond film for hipster geeks who like Scandi-noir/goth/cool. It even ends with a Moriarty moment, just in case.

Except there's more franchise potential in my bowels after a bad curry.

It's shiiiiite.

• Haha 1

Â