The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Watched The Black Phone last night and thought it was pretty good. Got mad Sinister vibes with how some of the scenes were shot, can only assume it was made by the same people as it shared some of the same cast. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Watched The Black Phone last night and thought it was pretty good. Got mad Sinister vibes with how some of the scenes were shot, can only assume it was made by the same people as it shared some of the same cast. 

Yep, Scott Derrickson...

On 22/06/2022 at 18:36, Designer1 said:

Just back from watching this:

spacer.png

Very good stuff.

Has some visual nods to Derricksons other work (especially Sinister) and a tight storyline which delivers some decent psychological thrills and doesn't outstay its welcome.

Cast is also very good, with a great performance from the young lead.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Yep, Scott Derrickson...

Yeah all the scenes which show the tree outside the house in particular were very Sinister. There's other stuff too but that was most noticable.

• Like 1

Watched 4 films over the weekend:

The black phone - was alright 6/10

Thor love and thunder - Kinda disappointing I thought it looked great but it was pretty average tbh but not awful 6.5/10

Jurassic Park Dominion - I had very low expectations for this because I thought the trailer looked awful but I actually kinda liked it but it was far too long though and I just wanted it to end after about and hour and a half 6/10

Lightyear - I had high expectations for this but it didn't really deliver but it was still good enough. Not sure why it get's such a low score on IMDB 6.5/10 

1 hour ago, Designer1 said:

Happy to drop you a list of Korean recommendations when I have some time Dem - I've done them for other VTers in the past.

Yeah mate please do. Didnt know you was into them. But not as many **** up ones like the sadness 😂

On 22/06/2022 at 18:36, Designer1 said:

Just back from watching this:

spacer.png

Very good stuff.

Has some visual nods to Derricksons other work (especially Sinister) and a tight storyline which delivers some decent psychological thrills and doesn't outstay its welcome.

Cast is also very good, with a great performance from the young lead.

Finally got around to watching this the other day.

Thought it was a really good film but I have an awful lot of questions.

First off, I thought Ethan Hawke was superb in it, that mask was absolutely brilliant (designed by Tom Sevigny I believe) and I agree that the young lead and his sister were both really good as well...some of the other younger cast that were in the start...not so much.

Anyways, I'll spoiler this but if you have any ideas then let me know.

Spoiler

First off, the whole "shine" thing that the sister has, it seemed kind of tacked on to me, it didn't really seem like it had any purpose other than to give the little girl something to do, aside from their old man saying that their Mom had the same thing before ultimately killing herself (if I remember that bit correctly) it doesn't have any sort of explanation.

Second, The Grabber, I thought he was a brilliant character and Ethan Hawke plays the part superbly, but, what was the whole thing with him screaming when his mask came off? I mean he isn't hideously disfigured and he can obviously go about his day-to-day life without the mask on so why did he have such and adverse reaction at the end, dude is about to die and he starts screaming because the kid see's his face...not for the first time.

Third, the kids who were communicating with the lad via the phone, I'm guessing that he had a touch of the "shine" that he wasn't aware of up until this point but what about the other kids, it was almost as if it is a question of fate because everything that they were saying to the lad wasn't actually directed towards him, it was what they were saying to the Grabber at the end of the film "your time is up" etc etc 

It almost seemed like they weren't expecting the film to be as good as it was so made wholesale cuts to get it down to a more acceptable run time but a fair few plot elements suffered for it.

Unless I have missed/forgot a load of stuff from it, I'll be honest I was pretty shattered at the time, I'll have to re-watch it again I reckon

Am off to the cinema to see the new Minions film with the little one tomorrow. Has cost me £18 just for the tickets and no doubt will spend almost the same again on food. 

Watched the new Thor film yesterday!  Quite enjoy the Thor movies but this was rubbish from start to finish, just all over the place, trying too hard and too often to be funny and failing! I was trying to think of an Avenger film I’ve disliked, this is it.

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Watched the new Thor film yesterday!  Quite enjoy the Thor movies but this was rubbish from start to finish, just all over the place, trying too hard and too often to be funny and failing! I was trying to think of an Avenger film I’ve disliked, this is it.

Shame, Ragnarok is one of my favourite Marvel’s.  Also one of the funniest which I guess the new one has tried too hard to emulate.

1 minute ago, Wainy316 said:

Shame, Ragnarok is one of my favourite Marvel’s.  Also one of the funniest which I guess the new one has tried too hard to emulate.

Yep, I loved Ragnarok and I was hoping more of the same

Alien3 was on a freeview channel last night, think it may have been ITV4?  It’s still a guilty pleasure of mine.  It has its faults but I can watch it anytime and still enjoy it for what it is.

For those who haven’t seen the extended Assembly Cut of the movie, may want to check it out.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

Alien3 was on a freeview channel last night, think it may have been ITV4?  It’s still a guilty pleasure of mine.  It has its faults but I can watch it anytime and still enjoy it for what it is.

For those who haven’t seen the extended Assembly Cut of the movie, may want to check it out.

I must admit that's a very good version of the film.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

Glad you said that 'cos I've always taken s**t for liking that one. 

Also, I was trying to find a platform where I could buy a UHD stream of Event Horizon, which is another of my guilty pleasures. I found it pretty difficult. The only UHD copy I could find was a collectors 25th Anno. Steelbook version which was, like, £110 on amazon. Anyone know of a way round. Of course I want the directors cut, but I'm not sure I'll ever see that.  

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Also, I was trying to find a platform where I could buy a UHD stream of Event Horizon, which is another of my guilty pleasures. I found it pretty difficult. The only UHD copy I could find was a collectors 25th Anno. Steelbook version which was, like, £110 on amazon. Anyone know of a way round. Of course I want the directors cut, but I'm not sure I'll ever see that.  

I do like Event Horizon as well. Quite a scary film on first viewing 20 odd years ago.

You’re in luck as well, a quick google shows a 25th Anniversary UHD version coming very soon (8 August 2022) and at a decent preorder price 👍

2 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

I do like Event Horizon as well. Quite a scary film on first viewing 20 odd years ago.

You’re in luck as well, a quick google shows a 25th Anniversary UHD version coming very soon (8 August 2022) and at a decent preorder price 👍

Sweet, I would prefer a UHD stream, over a disc, but I guess there will be both. 

6 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

Never even heard of the Assembly Cut. What have they changed with it? 

17 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Never even heard of the Assembly Cut. What have they changed with it? 

In brief, the Assembly Cut is an extended version of the film (approx 30 minutes longer). It is a reworking of the movie, adding several major sequences (beginning) and even entirely new subplots while also removing some scenes found in the theatrical version.

I have it on DVD and personally prefer this version but some people don’t.  If you can, it’s worth a watch and then decide which you like more? 

4 hours ago, HKP90 said:

Great movie 

Old skool, but watched Predator Sunday night 1987 Arnie.

Class film all works perfectly, not bad acting either, Carl Weather's, Bill Duke, Sonny Langham all very good, great effects too for 1987. Its a film for me you can watch and watch never gets boring.

• Like 4

Â