The Spanish Football/la Liga Thread

Troglodyte

Everyone's favourite nice guy just doing what he does.  It'll be interesting to see which legal gymnastics get him out of serving it.

In fact no gymnastics required.  Seemingly it is a 'quirk' of Spanish law that any punishment under 2 years is automatically suspended.  He sure is lucky it's 3 months shy of 2 years then.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BOF said:

In fact no gymnastics required.  Seemingly it is a 'quirk' of Spanish law that any punishment under 2 years is automatically suspended.  He sure is lucky it's 3 months shy of 2 years then.

And any official criminal record is quashed under 24 months too, I believe.

3 minutes ago, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

One rule for the rich etc

It's not because he's rich it's because he committed the crime in Spain. Any of us could go over there and commit a crime that typically gets less than 2 years in prison and not serve jail time. It's just how the Spanish legal system works, it is also why pick pocketing is out of control in Spain because light crime isn't punished all that severely. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BOF said:

If I was the judge I would have given him 2 years, plus an extra year on top for being a grade A rocket polisher.

1 hour ago, KHV said:

If I was the judge I would have given him 2 years, plus an extra year on top for being a grade A rocket polisher.

You would thus not make for a very good judge

Messi has got Asperger's Syndrome, having a daughter with severe Autism I am not going to judge him. None of us know him, I don't know how severe his condition is or how it effects him in real life. 

4 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Messi has got Asperger's Syndrome, having a daughter with severe Autism I am not going to judge him. None of us know him, I don't know how severe his condition is or how it effects him in real life. 

Do we know that for a fact?

He was diagnosed with it at 8 but its little publicised in order to protect him. Its not something he used in his defence, so maybe he is embarassed by it. I'm not saying he is innocent, surely his dad and his advisers knew what was going on, but would think Messi just plays football and doesn't really pay much interest in that stuff. 

Edited by PaulC

4 hours ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Notice Barcelona have started a hashtag on Twitter #weareallmessi or something similar to that bizarrely in support of Messi. Crazy. It's up there with Liverpool/Suarez shirt fiasco in my opinion. 

Yeah, embarrassing from Barcelona. He was found guilty of a crime and now they want fans to unconditionally support him. If I was the Spanish FA I'd be having words with them

48 minutes ago, Xela said:

Yeah, embarrassing from Barcelona. He was found guilty of a crime and now they want fans to unconditionally support him. If I was the Spanish FA I'd be having words with them

they would then use that as the Spanish authorities picking on the poor catalans again

when think about it they are the Spanish Liverpool

2 hours ago, PaulC said:

He was diagnosed with it at 8 but its little publicised in order to protect him. Its not something he used in his defence, so maybe he is embarassed by it. I'm not saying he is innocent, surely his dad and his advisers knew what was going on, but would think Messi just plays football and doesn't really pay much interest in that stuff. 

I'm inclined to agree with that last part, actually, though it doesn't excuse anything. He should have known anyway. I'm aware of the rumours about the AS, but I've never seen this actually confirmed by a reliable source. 

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

they would then use that as the Spanish authorities picking on the poor catalans again

when think about it they are the Spanish Liverpool

To be fair to Scousers, they aren't as openly racist.

Â