The Spanish Football/la Liga Thread

Troglodyte

8 hours ago, sne said:

Girona wins away to Barca 4-2 and go back top of the table. Shame it's a City group club but still fantastic for them.

Bite my lip...But it’s still better than Barca or Real this year despite their owners. 

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Girona now beating Atletico Madrid 4-3 with a ridiculous last minute winner! Remain joint top with Real Madrid.

Was a tremendous match from first minute to last, with their style they will be an excellent watch in CL next season.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Getafe had released a statement against Osasuna fans because the fans booed a Man United player for the 2nd time this season and even had chants for him to die

Osasuna is a team growing on me

• Like 2

Can’t see it. Klopp is citing exhaustion as his reason for leaving Liverpool and he doesn’t strike me as someone who would straight up lie about that just so he could take an even more demanding job.  I think he’ll have a sabbatical and then either end up in charge of Bayern or the German national team. 

• Like 1

With Deco running the show they'll probably go for Rafa Marquez while they wait in hope that Pep will want to come back in 2025. Deco feels like a guy who want's to work with his buddies and Rafa is already at the club. Deco was apparently the one who convinced Laporta to hire Xavi.

Edit: Michel probably is the obvious target considering how Girona are doing but very different jobs and the City group maybe has him lined up to take over after Pep. He's also from Madrid so that might be an issue.

Edited by sne

I was gonna say I think Barcelona probably know what they are doing, only then I remembered everything they have done in the past three or four years.  

I think Barca could be f***** for the next few years if not longer.

They've mortgaged a lot of their assets and future income streams and their squad is threadbare.

The likes of Lewandowski and Roberto won't be around for too much longer and the squad is quite frankly sh*te.

7 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

Going to a Betis game in a few weeks. Excited to see how the atmosphere compares to a PL match

Lucky you!

On 30/01/2024 at 05:54, Avfc96 said:

I think Barca could be f***** for the next few years if not longer.

They've mortgaged a lot of their assets and future income streams and their squad is threadbare.

The likes of Lewandowski and Roberto won't be around for too much longer and the squad is quite frankly sh*te.

The transfers of players like Lewandowski shows exactly what is wrong with the club. He was a great player - he was the top scorer last season. 

Contract runs until 2026 years left and at 35, he isn't as good. He hasn't scored in 6 league games which is his worst run since 2007/2008 season.

And he gets, what, 250k a week? Madness.

Apparently if he doesn't appear in 55% of games in 2025 they can terminate him early, that's the only silver lining. 

They should have/could have bought Osimhen with that money. 

They need a good manager, and some solid players from teams like Betis, Athletic or Girona. They always had a good academy but you can't rely on 17-20 year old to consistently win things. The next 2 years will likely be poor for them. 

I'm loving it. They did a Man Utd in a 2 team league. Funny stuff. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Eventful end to the Valencia Real Madrid game. Valencia player Diakhaby suffered a potentially career ending injury when Tchouaméni fell over his leg. Valencia got a penalty in added time that was scratched after a 2.15 min VAR check and the Bellingham scores the 3-2 winner with the last touch of the game only for the ref to have blown his whistle while the cross was in the air. Ref only added about a minute and a half despite the 2.15 min VAR check. Bellingham got a red card for protests and some Valencia official wanted to fight Vinicius JR after the game but sat back down when Rudiger suggested he'd fight him instead :D 

Most entertaining thou is reading on Real and Barca forums where both sides are arguing that the other club is protected by the refs and that it's all a big conspiracy.

Â