The Spanish Football/la Liga Thread

Troglodyte

Hmmm apparently he has disputed that he has retired. 

Following reports that the career of 23-year-old Real Madrid midfielder Lucas Silva's had ended tragically due to a serious heart condition found during a routine medical examination, the Brazilian disputes he will be forced into retirement.

AS reported over the weekend that Madrid and Sporting had reached an agreement for a one-season loan deal with the option to buy, due to be triggered next summer, until the heart problem was detected in the second round of tests and the deal then fell through.

Silva seemed to have confirmed the sad news of his retirement with an update to his Instagram bio, which, as of Monday afternoon, read: "I fought the good fight, I've finished my career, I've kept my faith."

But he disputed he will be forced to retire, writing in a Twitter post on Monday that the reports "do not correspond with reality" and he wanted "to communicate officially and categorically" that he is not retiring.

Signed in January of 2015 for €14 million, the highly-touted Cruzeiro midfielder played nine games for Madrid before going out on loan to Olympique Marseille for the rest of the 2015/16 season. Silva was set for another loan move to Sporting Clube de Portugal, but team doctors discovered a serious heart condition during his medical examination in Lisbon.

http://www.foxsports.com/soccer/story/real-madrid-midfielder-lucas-silva-forced-to-retire-due-to-heart-condition-071116

Some numbers blow my mind. Benzema is considered as one of the better strikers in World football. Despite joining Madrid the same year as Ronaldo, Ronaldo has scored more than 200 goals more than Benzema (in 7 years!). 

• 4 weeks later...

hands up if you're surprised that argentina sacked their manager and the new guy has talked messi in to playing again...

he flew in to barcelona and spent the weekend with him, its not a surprise at all, its also not a stick to beat him with, its also not surprising that once again Argentinian football is in a mess, they're having to restructure their league due to financial trouble, knocked out of the olympics after a really poor tournament, the coach for the olympic team quit 2 weeks before the tournament after falling out with the AFA, the new olympic team coach has fallen out with them now because he's had to pay for himself to attend, before appointing the new national team coach on the 1st august argentina had 1 coach contracted to the entire national team set up, the AFA is currently under investigation for corruption...

but yeah messi quit because hes a bad loser...

• Like 2

He quit because he overreacted like a child. Like when a Villa fan says "**** it, the club is a mess, I'm not going again" only to come back next week. You can defend him all you like, but it's childish. He's back because he is wants to play for his country. he always did. He made the mistake of saying he was retiring.

As for the AFA. Yes, it's a total mess. A mess that is still there. So that's not the reason

I thought he might've waited until next year....he was never going to miss the world cup was he? Sponsors wouldn't have allowed it for a start.

Did Mascherano and Aguero retire in the end as they were threatening to do.

I think Messi just got fed up of losing finals, think they've lost 5 in his international career, 4 in copa America and a world cup, a few on penalties aswell so can understand why he feels cursed at international level.

What Argentina need to do is freshen up their squad. I don't understand why they don't call up Dybala and Icardi, Lavezzi plays in China now so no need to keep calling him up particularly as he's in his 30s so level is dropping. Most Argies hate Higuain aswell.

They'll be o.k, Brazil are in a far bigger mess.

Just now, VillaChris said:

I dont understand why they don't call up Dybala and Icardi, Lavezzi plays in China now so no need to keep calling him up particularly as he's in his 30s so level is dropping. Most Argies hate Higuain aswell.

They'll be o.k, Brazil are in a far bigger mess.

Were Dybala and Icardi not even called up for the Olympics, or would Juve/Inter just not let them go?

2 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

Hands up if you're surprised Messi's gone back on his word and is now not retired from International football.

sure how can you trust a man that doesnt even bother to pay tax ;)

Â