The Spanish Football/la Liga Thread

Troglodyte

11 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Sevilla's defence still doesn't convince me actually but they are finding a way to actually win away games this season....I still reckon Villareal will finish above them as they are very strong at home.

Looking at the other end of the table....Valencia are still a total mess aren't they? Bottom 5 after a third of the season...can't beat Granada at home who are miles adrift and they have Sevilla away and Real Madrid at home in next few weeks....sad decline for one of Spain's big four.

Not convinced by the new manager. He even left Bakumbu on the bench against Bilbao and only picked one striker. They hardly created a chance all game. Vietto is doing well at sevilla.

On 19/11/2016 at 18:15, PaulC said:

To be fair it was Malaga were only down to 9 men in the last few minutes but yes it shows how much they are reliant on Messi and Suarez

They were down to ten from the 68th.  In the Nou Camp.  Terrible stuff from Barça.  **** 'em though.  I hope they miss out on CL (which they won't).

2 hours ago, BOF said:

They were down to ten from the 68th.  In the Nou Camp.  Terrible stuff from Barça.  **** 'em though.  I hope they miss out on CL (which they won't).

Yes they are very over reliant on Messi and to a certain extent Suarez. Neymar is hit and miss. I hope Messi goes to Man City. He needs to prove he's not just a one club player and he would be great for the Premier League.

48 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Yes they are very over reliant on Messi and to a certain extent Suarez. Neymar is hit and miss. I hope Messi goes to Man City. He needs to prove he's not just a one club player and he would be great for the Premier League.

There is nothing I would hate more than seeing Messi in a Man City shirt! Can't see how he has anything to prove either. Anyhow, I reckon we could see 4 Spanish sides in the Champions League last 8 this season (obviously depending on the draw). Certainly wouldn't fancy Sevilla in the next round if I was a group winner.

2 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

Who else does Madrid have in those positions? Morata and James aren't really proper wide man even if they've played there.

where have they been playing asensio? sure he can play LW, tbf they could probably play coentrao or marcelo there if they were desperate, or isco, james or morata

none of them are proper wingers but they should still be ok

6 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

Who else does Madrid have in those positions? Morata and James aren't really proper wide man even if they've played there.

Lucas Vasquez is in Spain squad these days, more an out and out winger from what I saw of him

3 hours ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

There is nothing I would hate more than seeing Messi in a Man City shirt! Can't see how he has anything to prove either. Anyhow, I reckon we could see 4 Spanish sides in the Champions League last 8 this season (obviously depending on the draw). Certainly wouldn't fancy Sevilla in the next round if I was a group winner.

He will always be classed as a one club man unlike Ronaldo. although I think he's a better player than Ronaldo.

2 hours ago, PaulC said:

He will always be classed as a one club man unlike Ronaldo. although I think he's a better player than Ronaldo.

Nothing wrong with being a one club man, but there will always be that question of whether he'd do it elsewhere. One Ronaldo has obviously answered.

There's a difference though in that Ronaldo came through at sporting and needed to move to fulfill his potential, why would messi ever have / want to leave barca?

i think the relationship with pep is blown out of proportion by our media trying to sell him to city, no doubt there is something there but something bigger than any other relationship he's got with the club after 15 years of being there? He played under pep for 3 of those years, I don't see it

• Like 2

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

There's a difference though in that Ronaldo came through at sporting and needed to move to fulfill his potential, why would messi ever have / want to leave barca?

He didn't have to leave United though. 

no he didnt but i think as much as utd fans wont agree when madrid or barca come calling then the player is leaving, they're simply bigger clubs, could ronaldo be what he is now if he'd stayed at utd? hard to tell, i personally think ronaldo and messi have elevated each other, especially ronaldo with his desire to be better, if he'd stayed at utd i dont think his stats would be as insane and i dont think thats because of this better league nonsense

19 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

Nothing wrong with being a one club man, but there will always be that question of whether he'd do it elsewhere. One Ronaldo has obviously answered.

Game's about opinions, but I'm pretty certain Messi would do it anywhere. He averages over a goal/game vs the Prem's top sides, and I couldn't see the likes of Hull, Burnley, Sunderland, West Brom, Swansea, Bournemouth, et al giving him much trouble!

13 hours ago, villa4europe said:

i think the relationship with pep is blown out of proportion by our media trying to sell him to city, no doubt there is something there but something bigger than any other relationship he's got with the club after 15 years of being there? He played under pep for 3 of those years, I don't see it

Who knows, money maybe and the Premier League is quite alluring.

3 hours ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

Game's about opinions, but I'm pretty certain Messi would do it anywhere. He averages over a goal/game vs the Prem's top sides, and I couldn't see the likes of Hull, Burnley, Sunderland, West Brom, Swansea, Bournemouth, et al giving him much trouble!

I think it's a whole different question though. If Barca were transplanted in to the Premier League, I'd definitely agree. Ronaldo can do it anywhere because he's a physical player. Messi fits in perfectly with Barca because it compliments his game perfectly. Premier League sides don't really play that way, which is why it'd be interesting to see. But it'll never happen.

Â