Pre-match thread - Cup Final 7 of 10

ender4

3 hours ago, MaVilla said:

they didnt have Palmer versus Arsenal, i assume he will be back for us?

I've looked through the season fixtures that he's played and Chelsea have lost and drawn several.

I don't understand. How can this be? I thought Chelsea are invincible when Palmer plays. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ismail-villa said:

Players should be well rested now, Dougie back in, everyone on form. Should be a good win. 

We are worse with a rest

Unless Youri is in need of a rest, I'm not sure Dougie gets back in the team straight away for me.

Reason being is that against Bournemouth I really liked how Rogers, Watkins, Diaby and Bailey were linking up and Chelsea leave a lot of space for players like this to play in and I'd like to see them have another go at it.

Though, I think Unai will drop Diaby and play McGinn further forward. 

• Like 2

I think we should start this game with a lot of confidence and be able to dictate the play. Yes, Chelsea won 3-1 at Villa Park earlier in the season but significantly neither Pau or Konsa played in that game and I'm not sure how seriously we've taken either domestic cup this season (see also the meek loss to Everton in the Carabao). Atmosphere should be raucous and I think that could make a collection of young Chelsea players, that was seemingly assembled mostly on 'underlying data and potential saleability', to shrink further into their shells. It's kind of amazing to see how the two clubs' fortunes have inverted since Gerrard's infamous 'Chelsea should be coming to Villa Park and wiping the floor with us' quote. They were at the start of a brave new era under 'the next elite manager' in Graham Potter and we were hoping that Stevie would get the chop ASAP. Who could have predicted that things would work out this way? I'm just so grateful that we got smart, savvy owners who are building things in a structured (but still ambitious) way rather than 'disruptors' who assumed they could breeze in to football and succeed despite going against most of the prevailing logic and evidence.

3 hours ago, Powehi said:

Apropos of nothing, just advising that there is a huge Villa contingent assembling in Taupo, New Zealand to watch the game in a pub at 7am. We're coming from all corners of the country and taking over an entire town! Most are there for the weekend, including a pub crawl tomorrow evening. I'm setting off tomorrow morning, can't wait.

Post a couple of pics please 😀

• Like 2

14 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I'd go unchanged for this one.  I thought we were superb last week.  Give Doug a bit more rest to play Olympiakos and also concentrate his mind a bit that his recent performances have dipped a bit.  We could blow Chelsea apart in the first half if we go out on the front foot.

I just  want us to not concede  a stupid goal in the first half an hour and then be playing catch up. 

Signs that Gusto won't  be back, so our left side v their right side could be a real mismatch

This evening game has the potential to really cement us into that champions league spot and show everyone how far we have come in the almost 10 years to the day since we were stinking out the league season after season and when Lampard broke tambling’s scoring record at VP not long after we had embarrassingly lost to them by a huge amount the previous fixture! Come on Villa let’s do this!!

23 minutes ago, Villatillidie95 said:

This evening game has the potential to really cement us into that champions league spot and show everyone how far we have come in the almost 10 years to the day since we were stinking out the league season after season and when Lampard broke tambling’s scoring record at VP not long after we had embarrassingly lost to them by a huge amount the previous fixture! Come on Villa let’s do this!!

QPR v Leeds?

34 minutes ago, zak said:

QPR v Leeds?

Not this evening as in tonight, the game is being played in the evening, hence this evening, “this” referring to the particular fixture rather than tonight….i thought that was obvious, my bad XD