Pre-match thread - Cup Final 7 of 10

ender4

7 minutes ago, smg said:

Don’t forget Thiago Silva,  between them they alone should be good enough to beat us.

Or,

these two play for a mid table team that lives on its past success and have been humped tonight by a team we beat last week. Why do Villa fans always look for reasons why we might not win rather than look for reasons why we might actually win ? We are 4th in the league on merit so should believe a win against Chelsea is a real possibility not guaranteed but a real possibility. 

I’m not looking for a reason why we won’t win. I just don’t think they’ll be 5-0 bad once Palmer is back. He’s scored 10 of their 17 goals over the last 5 PL games before today. He’s clearly a vital part of their team and it would be silly to think him returning wouldn’t have some positive effect for them.

• Like 1

They create chances but are so poor in the middle and at the back that you always have a good chance of scoring a few. Key will be taking our chances. Hopefully Palmer is out.

22 minutes ago, smg said:

Why do Villa fans always look for reasons why we might not win

It's a way to deal with the disappointment that results from a chaotic universe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MellbergsBeard said:

Wonder what Chelsea we will see on Saturday after tonight? 

Honestly what do they have to fight for in the league? None of them signed 8 year deals to play in the Conference league and they're not finishing above Newcastle with their run in. Or probably Man. United.

Good news is they'll probably turn up for the Spurs match otherwise they'll be a mini riot at Stamford Bridge but otherwise they're a good team to play in the run in. Let's remember in this amazing recent run they've still failed to beat Burnley and Sheffield United and threw away a 2-0 lead to Man. United before getting enough injury time to turn it around.

15 minutes ago, omariqy said:

They create chances but are so poor in the middle and at the back that you always have a good chance of scoring a few. Key will be taking our chances. Hopefully Palmer is out.

Siva is still their best CB by a mile and he's nearly 40 and leaving. Probably him and Chalobah v us. They've spent 150m + on Fofana, Badashile and Disasi and they're all incredibly average and about the same level.

21 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

I’m not looking for a reason why we won’t win. I just don’t think they’ll be 5-0 bad once Palmer is back. He’s scored 10 of their 17 goals over the last 5 PL games before today. He’s clearly a vital part of their team and it would be silly to think him returning wouldn’t have some positive effect for them.

Might there be a chance our manager has spotted that and do something about it ?

They might have.sone sort of reaction after tonight but if we play with the same intensity we showed in our last two lesgue games we shouid have too much for them..The champions league carrot shouid gives us the edge.

1 hour ago, The_Steve said:

Poch said he isn't sure when Palmer will return

Apparently it's illness, so wouldn't have thought he'd be out for too long?

7 hours ago, Mantis said:

Might last a bit longer after last night's thrashing. 

7 hours ago, Mantis said:

If it's man flu he could be out for weeks, if he has any sense he'll throw a sicky and get him mum to ring in for him

• Haha 1

We'll have too much for them going forward.   They will buckle under the pressure especially if the crowd get going. 

A lot of respect for Silva but nowadays against Watkins that's a mismatch.

23 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Not feeling very confident at all about this one. 

Same. But I wasn't confident about Arsenal, or Lille, or Bournemouth.

But Emery keeps pulling it out of the bag. So I don't know what to expect now!

• Like 1