Pre-match thread - Cup Final 7 of 10

ender4

22 minutes ago, BOF said:

A minor point, but last night's 5-0 thrashing of Chelsea by Arsenal has mathematically guaranteed us European football next season. The lowest we can finish now is 7th, and that's Conference League.

Not if United finish 8th and we finish 7th.

Edited by StefanAVFC

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

Not if United finish 7th or 8th.

I don't understand what you mean.

Just now, BOF said:

I don't understand what you mean.

Sorry edited it. If United finished 8th and won the FA cup, 7th is still Europe?

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

Sorry edited it. If United finished 8th and won the FA cup, 7th is still Europe?

I think you're right, if Man U win the FA Cup they take the second Europa spot. If they finish 8th or below, then 6th would get conference, 7th would get nothing. But that's not our problem.

• Like 1

Just now, BOF said:

As far as I know yes. 5th is Europa League and 6th is conference. 7th is conference because Liverpool won the league cup and won't be taking the conference place. So that's us sorted regardless.  Now if United take their Europa League place by winning the FA Cup then their Conference spot would drop to 8th if necessary. All depending on where the finish of course, but 7th is Europe anyway.

I think that's how it would work if 5th was CL but as it isn't, 7th is the lowest it can go. And if United win, then '7th' goes to them not 7th place.

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

I think that's how it would work if 5th was CL but as it isn't, 7th is the lowest it can go. And if United win, then '7th' goes to them not 7th place.

Yeah I removed it as I'm checking with the oracle.

• Haha 1

For some reason I had a conference league spot for a league finish and one for the league cup winner :)  That's not the case, so we're not guaranteed yet. Dagnammit :) 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I think the formula though is for us to finish 7th then Man. United would have to finish above us. Chelsea can't finish above us and they've still got six games left to play so there's an ever diminishing number of teams below us now who can get to 67 points, just Newcastle and Spurs.

Edit: Ignore what I was saying.

However there is no one else who can actually catch us and knock us down to 7th (other than Man. United) so them winning the cup is irrelevant. 

Also Man. United/Newcastle still have to play each other in the run in so surely that alone guarantees it as at least one of those teams will lose at least two points from that fixture.

We've basically secured top 6 now from the Chelsea result last night which is a nice achievement with still a month of the domestic season to run.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BOF said:

For some reason I had a conference league spot for a league finish and one for the league cup winner :)  That's not the case, so we're not guaranteed yet. Dagnammit :) 

I mean it’s all but guaranteed. I’ve already renewed my passport.

They don’t seem terribly confident.

But I thought a team like Chelsea should be wiping the floor with us?

(I’m still bitter about the words of that slippy scouse fraud!)

IMG_6583.jpeg

We need to play Diaby and Bailey together again. Keep the pressure on Cucurella all game. Keep Dougie on the bench til 60 mins. Tielemans and McGinn have been working so well together.

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

We need to play Diaby and Bailey together again. Keep the pressure on Cucurella all game. Keep Dougie on the bench til 60 mins. Tielemans and McGinn have been working so well together.

I think Luiz will come straight back in as have to be careful Chelsea's three centrally don't overrun us like in the cup. Palmer if back will also come inside constantly.

Can't really drop Rodgers based on how good he's been in last month so think Diaby will miss out on this one.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

They don’t seem terribly confident.

But I thought a team like Chelsea should be wiping the floor with us?

(I’m still bitter about the words of that slippy scouse fraud!)

IMG_6583.jpeg

They’re as sure they’re going to lose to us as we were sure we were going to lose to Arsenal away.

On 22/04/2024 at 17:07, Pez1974 said:

He's just getting out of playing against us, so he can join us in the summer and play champions league
Good player - deserves to play for a Top 4 team

Hope he tells Chukwuemeka this 😂

On 23/04/2024 at 10:06, foreveryoung said:

Palmer injured for Arsenal game. Can't see him being fit for Sunday surely?

Why has he got a rugby match or something 😂

I'm terrifyingly over confident for this one.

8pm, under the lights at VP. The Holte drunk on a payday, on the cusp of Europe. 

The maestro, Mister Emery will have the perfect game-plan. We will win easily, convincingly and by a huge margin.*

* I'm still a Villa fan scarred by years of failure so this could not happen.

• Like 2