ender4

It's such a shame we're so injury depleted. Cash, Lenglet, Mings, Kamara, Ramsey would likely all be starting if they were fit and we had a preferred European night's team.

As it is, we can't rotate our center backs, we have to play one of them at right back, we have to play an inexperienced or makeshift DM, and we have to play an out of form option in LM.

That's such a crippling set of factors.

And yet, despite  the above having been the case for nearly the whole season, Emery keeps pulling out results. Yes, things are biting a bit more now with the lack of rotation starting to hurt our fitness, but this first leg comes at a good time for us if we're willing to go full strength.

Watkins has had a mini rest, Zaniolo is showing signs of getting in to form, Rogers has scored his first goal and should be perfectly match fit and relatively well rested, Diaby is back in form and barely played the last game, Luiz won't have to conserve himself for the weekend, and McGinn is back from suspension so should be very well rested (but maybe a little rusty).

It's going to be a really tough game with Lille very much on form, but we have to play to our strengths. Those strengths will be in attack. Go all out, get an early goal and knock their confidence.  Get the fans on their feet and we can press on and get 2 or 3.

Can't wait for tonight.

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, VillaAlex said:

We really need to put our best side out here.

Bailey needs to play.

Martinez

Konsa Carlos Pau Digne

Bailey McGinn Dougie Rogers

Tielemans

Watkins

I think he’ll go with Diaby (he’ll be desperate to play well v a French team) instead of Tielemans and Moreno but everyone else picks themself. 

16 minutes ago, omariqy said:

If it helps I woke up really confident today

We'll have to turn up, playing away first might have been better but we have to take the chance and put it out of their reach tonight. 

Really looking forward to this, Lille are a decent side and we are somewhat short on numbers, but we still have quality throughout the team. Lille are no mugs and playing well in Ligue 1, but we are also 5th in a much stronger league. We are no mugs either. I hope we go for it tonight and look to blow them away. I’m not expecting anything from the Arsenal game so if prefer we give this rare European QF our full attention. 

• Like 1

So excited!! Think we’ll win but it will be close. Do some heavy rotation against Arsenal, hopefully have Cash and/or Lenglet back for the second leg and see it out.

I predict win tonight, lose Arsenal, draw away leg, beat Bournemouth. That would do.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

So excited!! Think we’ll win but it will be close. Do some heavy rotation against Arsenal, hopefully have Cash and/or Lenglet back for the second leg and see it out.

I predict win tonight, lose Arsenal, draw away leg, beat Bournemouth. That would do.

Well, the Villa way would be to beat Lille home and away, beat Arsenal then lose to Bournemouth

5 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Well, the Villa way would be to beat Lille home and away, beat Arsenal then lose to Bournemouth

I'll take that.

• Like 1

This game feels massive - go full strength for this one and try to take a lead into the second leg.

It's a tough, tough game but a win tonight goes a long way to making this an incredible season and one that could be an important staging post on the growth of the club.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TRO said:

Sounds like, similar teams.

Our Monchi, had an indifferent time at Roma too.

I guess all teams, base their style on some other team at some point...so it comes down to who wants it on the day. Our manager is top drawer, but he can't stop individual errors, I guess your guy is the same.

I think it's who applies their individualism in to a collective force, on the day.

agreed

the more i read this forum , the more i find similarities between the two teams.

i woke up pessimistic though. Not only because Aston Villa has better players and performs so well in PL ... just the ancestral mediocrity of french clubs in final european rounds (only 2 trophies won in 80 years , altogether)

small good news for us , Angel Gomes is no longer injured back on the bench ... he , more than anyone else , will be super-motivated to show his english fellows he could play in PL.

A bit disappointed if Digne doesn't play  , he's a local boy and has always been appreciated a lot over here( we had to let him go to psg way too early for financial reasons)... the consensus amongst this forum seems to be that Moreno is even better , which is quite frightening ;) 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

With 5th pretty much wrapped up, I'd go full strength here, get the result, and make next Thursday irrelevant.

I'd do that anyway.

Trophy win > top 4.

42 minutes ago, Lille fan said:

agreed

the more i read this forum , the more i find similarities between the two teams.

i woke up pessimistic though. Not only because Aston Villa has better players and performs so well in PL ... just the ancestral mediocrity of french clubs in final european rounds (only 2 trophies won in 80 years , altogether)

small good news for us , Angel Gomes is no longer injured back on the bench ... he , more than anyone else , will be super-motivated to show his english fellows he could play in PL.

A bit disappointed if Digne doesn't play  , he's a local boy and has always been appreciated a lot over here( we had to let him go to psg way too early for financial reasons)... the consensus amongst this forum seems to be that Moreno is even better , which is quite frightening ;) 

Moreno was better last season but he started this season injured, and Digne was brilliant. Then Digne got injured and Moreno came back not even half as good unfortunately.

On current form I prefer Digne there, but a lot of us think he'll be sold soon as his wages are very high.