ender4

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Ceemo said:

Very good side. Press very well and play very controlled football. They aren't particularly an exciting side and aren't going to hammer you as well as unlikely to get hammered.

Any Championship or PL clubs whose style or recent form reminds you of Lille? Crystal Palace?

Edited by Marka Ragnos

Lille playing Marseille now. Marseille in the quarter-finals of the Europa League so a good barometer of where Lille are at the moment.

UPDATE: 0-0 at half-time almost predictably. Pretty boring watch. Lille looking the likelier to break the deadlock. Zhegrova had a excellent chance saved and Alexsandro Ribeiro had a good header tipped over by Lopez. Plenty of long balls over the top from Lille looking for the pace of the wingers and then sitting in a low block when Marseille attack. Very little play in the middle of the pitch.

1-0 Lille. Loose pass by Marseille intercepted by David who is fouled in the box. He steps up and put Lille in front almost out of nowhere.

2-0 Lille. Lille have been ok, but Marseille have been absolutely terrible. Unable to make simple 5-yard passes. Cabella pounces on another mistake and sticks it in the top corner.

2-1. Freak goal rebounds off in somehow as the defenders got into a terrible tangle. Come from nowhere for Marseille.

3-1 Lille. Another mistake by Marseille. This time a poor clearance, and Lille work it well on the right before Gudmundsson finishes it.

Finished 3-1. Lille just sat and waited for the Marseille mistakes and came alive when they did. Lille played almost exclusively on the counter-attack the whole game and it worked like a charm.

Zhegrova and David are quite clearly their best players. They come alive in that final third and have loads of spark. To beat them for me, you need to get around their workmanlike midfield in Bentaleb and Andre who protect the back four. Villa need physicality in there which McGinn should provide and get at that back four.

Edited by Ceemo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Ceemo said:

Yeah Palace would be a very good comparison in that certainly under Hogdson they didn't seem to be very much a big risk-taking side. David is a better striker than what Palace have at the moment though and Lille are better defensively for sure, although it hard to compare the two leagues. The French League certainly this season has been very, very defensive on the whole and so Lille are not only ones in that aspect.

You look at Lille in Ligue 1, and they have scored just 39 goals from 27 games but only conceded 24. They have had a couple of 3-0's and a 4-0, but generally their games have been tight. In Europe, in what was a easy group, they scored 10 from their 6 games but only conceded twice. They beat Sturm Graz comfortably in the knockout stage and so haven't really had a challenge in Europe. I'd expect them to come to Villa Park next week and sit back with a low block and soak up the pressure and counter with the front 3. Paulo Fonseca is a serious coach and Emery will have his work cut out for him.

This is incredible stuff. Thank you, seriously. It's fascinating. Sounds like we're up against a dangerous and very implacable opponent. (But I am also trying to work out how someone could know so much about French football, live in Ireland, be Villa, and ... have a Cleveland Browns avatar? 😉😁)

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

This is incredible stuff. Thank you, seriously. It's fascinating. Sounds like we're up against a dangerous and very implacable opponent. (But I am also trying to work out how someone could know so much about French football, live in Ireland, be Villa, and ... have a Cleveland Browns avatar? 😉😁)

Lille will almost certainly will be in the Champions League next season so if we want to compete at that level, this will be the sort of the game ahead of us next season.

And yes, I'm a football fan just as much as being a Villa fan at the end of the day with a keen interest in the sport in general and love to keep up to date and watch other leagues/players in general. Have only really got down to watching Lille fully since the draw was made in fairness, but would have seen them here and there throughout the season. As for the NFL, for us here, it is perfect to follow on Sunday evenings throughout the dark winter.

• Like 3

I think that this will be a welcome relief for the players, allowing them to escape the pressure of the PL. I’m expecting a really big performance as we bounce back from some poor performances in the PL. 3-0 win to the Villa and hopefully a springboard to a good end to the season.

15 hours ago, ben1505 said:

What’s our predictions for both legs?

I think we will go out in this round tbh. It would be a shame but then, we never expected to be in such a good position in the league and CL qualification is so close now that this has become a bit "2nd fiddle".

1-1 at VP and then a defeat in France is my prediction.

16 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

I think we will go out in this round tbh. It would be a shame but then, we never expected to be in such a good position in the league and CL qualification is so close now that this has become a bit "2nd fiddle".

1-1 at VP and then a defeat in France is my prediction.

I mean right now CL qualification hinges on English teams doing better in the cups..If Leverkusen beats West Ham and Bayern beats Arsenal it's gonna be 50/50, City won't have it easy vs Madrid. Our CL qualification might literally be dependant on us progressing to semis and finals. 

• Like 1

I think Thursday is:

Martinez

Konsa Carlos Pau Digne

Bailey Tim Dougie McGinn

Tielemans.

Watkins

If Cash is back, natch he slots in and replace Carlos. And that is your best lineup to protect your midfield, and still spring forward.

• Like 1

Very tough game this, but as the competition goes on you have to play better teams. We really could do with winning but even if it was a draw you’d still say we have a good chance of getting the result over there, but yes let’s hope we go over there with the advantage. 

7 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Very tough game this, but as the competition goes on you have to play better teams. We really could do with winning but even if it was a draw you’d still say we have a good chance of getting the result over there, but yes let’s hope we go over there with the advantage. 

Lile lost 1 home game this entire season, and that was in September, we really need to win at home. Hope we show up with right mentality 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alakagom said:

Lile lost 1 home game this entire season, and that was in September, we really need to win at home. Hope we show up with right mentality 

I agree but if not I wouldn’t write us off easily 

They are much much better than Ajax imo (who lost 6-0 today).

Very good striker in David who will probably be the best CF we've faced in this competition and got decent players in midfield aswell.

I would hope for a one goal lead to take over to France and then it's another Ajax type slow the game down and play for a 0-0 scenario to get through.