ender4

Does anyone know if there are any restrictions on which way I can walk to the ground from Witton Station? Against Ajax some roads were close to pedestrians I think?

Lille are a very good side and we're cobbling the team together at the moment. I suspect this might be a difficult night. It's gone wrong at the worst moment with suspensions and injuries in places we're least able to withstand, worst of all Kamara who we are having to fudge things around to fix his being unavailable and subsequently harming us further.

• Like 1

So key this game. Winning takes a bit of pressure of hte PL performance with the coefficient stuff. Much as I'd love 4th and a 'traditional' CL qualification place (Wenger's 4th place trophy), I've shifted to this actual trophy and 5th now. (whynotboth gif)

Could really do with an emphatic victory so the return leg is made irrelevant, though that will be tough. Unai cup magic plesae.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Very pessimistic. I think this is where our season unravels. 

Ooof. Maybe, but maybe not. 

Positives:

McGinn back and rested.

Diaby looking like back on form.

Watkins injury wasn't really anything major. 

Duran back after injury. 

Moreno getting back to full fitness.

Tielemans playing much better than first half of the season.

Martinez still one of the best.

Bailey has been great over the last couple of months. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

My feelings exactly.

Having been blown away by the sheer quality of this week's CL fixtures, Villa's shortcomings seem glaring.

3 hours ago, Lille fan said:

agreed

the more i read this forum , the more i find similarities between the two teams.

i woke up pessimistic though. Not only because Aston Villa has better players and performs so well in PL ... just the ancestral mediocrity of french clubs in final european rounds (only 2 trophies won in 80 years , altogether)

small good news for us , Angel Gomes is no longer injured back on the bench ... he , more than anyone else , will be super-motivated to show his english fellows he could play in PL.

A bit disappointed if Digne doesn't play  , he's a local boy and has always been appreciated a lot over here( we had to let him go to psg way too early for financial reasons)... the consensus amongst this forum seems to be that Moreno is even better , which is quite frightening ;) 

Fancy being a Villa Fan, I find it hard to agree with some of our lot....just joking.

Personally, I prefer Lucas Digne to Alex Moreno.....but it's what the manager wants that counts....slightly different qualities, but I wouldn't say Moreno is better.

We are really finding it hard without Boubacar Kamara.

40 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

My feelings exactly.

Having been blown away by the sheer quality of this week's CL fixtures, Villa's shortcomings seem glaring.

At times yes, but we have beaten 2 of the CL quarter finalists this season. 

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

NO

Well. Maybe.

But at the start of the season... 6th + a European quarter-final? That's great!

Five years ago yesterday we were playing at Rotherham. (Yes, that win)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Come on, this is a bit like pissing on your own chips just in case someone was going to piss on them later.

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

Does anyone know if there are any restrictions on which way I can walk to the ground from Witton Station? Against Ajax some roads were close to pedestrians I think?

The slalom, is banned.....but Hop ,skip and a jump is ok.😀

• Haha 1

Hoping for a big game from the trio of McGinn, Tielemans and Luiz after saturday.

I know McGinn and Tielemans got assists, but i wasn't too impressed overall and they went completely missing when the going got tough. They are highly experienced players who should have been the ones to take charge and wrestle back control. 

Luiz has got himself a rest for our next two league games so no excuses for not being 100% on it tonight

1 hour ago, rubberman said:

So key this game. Winning takes a bit of pressure of hte PL performance with the coefficient stuff. Much as I'd love 4th and a 'traditional' CL qualification place (Wenger's 4th place trophy), I've shifted to this actual trophy and 5th now. (whynotboth gif)

Could really do with an emphatic victory so the return leg is made irrelevant, though that will be tough. Unai cup magic plesae.

The paradox here is....If we win emphatically, as much as we all want to.....it can play in to the hands of complacency in the return leg.

A narrow marginal advantage, forces us to be focused, and motivated, for the second leg.

There are no short cuts, to working hard, no dead rubbers.