ender4

On 05/04/2024 at 22:45, Ceemo said:

Lille will almost certainly will be in the Champions League next season so if we want to compete at that level, this will be the sort of the game ahead of us next season.

And yes, I'm a football fan just as much as being a Villa fan at the end of the day with a keen interest in the sport in general and love to keep up to date and watch other leagues/players in general. Have only really got down to watching Lille fully since the draw was made in fairness, but would have seen them here and there throughout the season. As for the NFL, for us here, it is perfect to follow on Sunday evenings throughout the dark winter.

It's quite impressive what Lille have done in the last 20 years. Pretty sure in the 90s they were just a minnow who got promoted and then built themselves up now into probably the 4th or 5th best side in France who are in Europe most years? Basically what Brighton have done for the last 18 months replicated over the next 18 years. Their fanbase has also grown substaintally with the move to the new ground as always in my mind I had it at 15-20k while Lens were the ones pulling in 40k even when falling on hard times as they did throughout the 2010s.

Fonesca already had that spell at Roma so Lille is a good club to get back on track and a prem club will probably snap him up at some point in next five years as sure he's been linked to the likes of Newcastle and Spurs in the past. He's someone we should've looked at in 2021 instead of Slippy as he was supposed to be Spurs manager that season but talks broke down at the last minute.

Could see him being on Brighton's shortlist post De Zerbi as had a similar managerial career so far.

Edited by VillaChris

This is an important game on many levels, firstly because we want to reach the semi-final, but also to help with that fifth placed coefficient thing, but after Brentford it's taken on a new importance, we need a lift after throwing away that win, and also in the context of the week as an whole, we don't want to have dropped points to Brentford, failed to win our home tie agains LIlle and have lost to Arsenal come next Sunday, so need to get the win in this game to get a big positive from this week regardless of whatever happens against Arsenal

Of course it won't be easy, no games in this competition are as Emery himself has pointed out using games where we've lost or drawn whilst being favorites as evidence, and Lille will presumably be better than those teams

But hopefully we can do it and set ourselves up well for the second-leg

• Like 4

If we win this one I will really start getting excited. The mere chance of seeing my club seriously competing for a European trophy in my lifetime is mind-blowing. Even though it is the "third rate" European Cup, winning this would be like '82 for me. Something I'd be telling the grandkids about one day. I believe we can do it. Such an important end to the season coming up for us, UTV!

• Like 3

Only just looked at their previous results this season, not sure on the standard of teams they play but unbeaten at home since September is good going. 

Looking forward to going to this game on Thursday, should be a good game to watch. Think we need a 2 goal lead going into the second leg otherwise we could be in trouble. These have a free weekend whilst we play Arsenal away. Interesting to see how Emery approaches the next three fixtures.

This is going to be a proper test for us. Ajax was a glamour tie but they were a poor side really going through a bit of a transition period. Lille are 3rd in the French League and have the the advantage of the home tie in the second leg. We need to defend better than the weekend that is for sure. Wouldn't be surprised to see Lenglet in for Carlos. It is only our 2nd European quarter final tie in the last 40 years so lets try to savour and enjoy it.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, HeroesAndVillans said:

If we win this one I will really start getting excited. The mere chance of seeing my club seriously competing for a European trophy in my lifetime is mind-blowing. Even though it is the "third rate" European Cup, winning this would be like '82 for me. Something I'd be telling the grandkids about one day. I believe we can do it. Such an important end to the season coming up for us, UTV!

Only representatives of wellingborough talk about it as a third rate competition.

I think this may well be the most difficult obstacle we will face in our hope of winning this trophy. I firmly believe that whoever wins this tie will eventually go on to win this competition. Only a 3 - 0 victory would give me enough confidence to think we will come out on top.

I really hope we go all out and make a statement. We are certainly capable on any given day to give the best a game, so it's important we take that belief and put on a show, similar to how we was putting teams to the sword earlier in the season, especially at VP.

I'm really excited about this game, nothing better than a European night at a raucous VP. Hopefully, it's going to be a night to remember. 

Come on me Babbys!

I’ve felt a bit indifferent about this competition all season such is my desperation for us to get in to the Champions League and always worried about injuries, fatigue etc. Once 5th is confirmed as a Champs League place  I can really enjoy this competition. (If still in it of course). 

I get it’s a European trophy it’s just one I haven’t been able to get that excited about yet.

edit: I know this post sounds really ungrateful and entitled. I’m just being honest. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2

The way we are shipping goals recently we need to be winning 5 - 0 inthe first leg with 1 min to go, as if we concede in the last minute we could easily lose the first leg 5 - 6...

14 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’ve felt a bit indifferent about this competition all season such is my desperation for us to get in to the Champions League and always worried about injuries, fatigue etc. Once 5th is confirmed as a Champs League place  I can really enjoy this competition. (If still in it of course). 

I get it’s a European trophy it’s just one I haven’t been able to get that excited about yet.

edit: I know this post sounds really ungrateful and entitled. I’m just being honest. 

You sound really ungrateful and entitled.

• Haha 4

14 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Apologies. Just saw your edit. I take that back.

• Like 1

On 08/04/2024 at 01:41, ben1505 said:

FWIW we are favourites to progress

IMG_2004.jpeg

No way would i be backing us at those odds.....i reckon the bookies have priced that up wrong

Lille are no mugs by any stretch of the imagination and this game will be a though one.

• Like 1