ender4

If Unai had rocked up at his first press conference last season and said we'd be playing in our first European QF since Collymore came on against Athletico Madrid next year we'd have thought he was mental.

It's been a long wait. Was it really 26 years ago? Jeebus, I was a young man! Memories like that, Inter and Athletico, and for the older guys the proper European nights at Villa Park. Barca in the Super Cup. This is what it's all about, exciting innit. Hope the lads do themselves proud tonight. UTV

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

Ooof. Maybe, but maybe not. 

Positives:

McGinn back and rested.

Diaby looking like back on form.

Watkins injury wasn't really anything major. 

Duran back after injury

Moreno getting back to full fitness.

Tielemans playing much better than first half of the season.

Martinez still one of the best.

Bailey has been great over the last couple of months. 

but he's a car crash, waiting to happen....

..............I'll get my coat.

2 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

Does anyone know if there are any restrictions on which way I can walk to the ground from Witton Station? Against Ajax some roads were close to pedestrians I think?

They've told Villa fans not to use Witton I think. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VILLAMARV said:

If Unai had rocked up at his first press conference last season and said we'd be playing in our first European QF since Collymore came on against Athletico Madrid next year we'd have thought he was mental.

It's been a long wait. Was it really 26 years ago? Jeebus, I was a young man! Memories like that, Inter and Athletico, and for the older guys the proper European nights at Villa Park. Barca in the Super Cup. This is what it's all about, exciting innit. Hope the lads do themselves proud tonight. UTV

yep,I was  there for that one.

I'm giving it a miss tonight, watching it on the box....let someone else have a chance to see them. I do honestly feel for those, who can't get tickets to see Villa nowadays...when I have had more than my fair share, at my age.....I want to give others a chance.

Sticking with the Prem.

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

They've told Villa fans not to use Witton I think. 

That's Flare enough

4 hours ago, Lille fan said:

agreed

the more i read this forum , the more i find similarities between the two teams.

i woke up pessimistic though. Not only because Aston Villa has better players and performs so well in PL ... just the ancestral mediocrity of french clubs in final european rounds (only 2 trophies won in 80 years , altogether)

small good news for us , Angel Gomes is no longer injured back on the bench ... he , more than anyone else , will be super-motivated to show his english fellows he could play in PL.

A bit disappointed if Digne doesn't play  , he's a local boy and has always been appreciated a lot over here( we had to let him go to psg way too early for financial reasons)... the consensus amongst this forum seems to be that Moreno is even better , which is quite frightening ;) 

Moreno was better for a run of games end of last season, but Digne has been streets ahead this year. I'd pick Digne all day over Moreno. 

2 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

Does anyone know if there are any restrictions on which way I can walk to the ground from Witton Station? Against Ajax some roads were close to pedestrians I think?

"Aston Villa supporters are being asked to use Aston Station on matchday. An extended queue system will be in place at Witton Station which could mean your journey will take longer from this station."

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Come on, this is a bit like pissing on your own chips just in case someone was going to piss on them later.

After 65 years as a Villa fan, I've always found it to be a sound policy. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Still disagree with those who want to start Bailey and Diaby. That turns us into a weird 4-3-3 and our midfield is going to get overrun as we go, like it has in most games since Kamara went out.

I still say start a midfield of Bailey, Luiz, Tim, McGinn with Tielemans and Watkins up front, and you can rotate McGinn/Watkins depending as to who is more advanced.

You can then sub on Duran and Bailey for extra speed if you choose (and hopefully we'd have a lead that you would start those 2 on the return leg).

35 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

NO

Well. Maybe.

But at the start of the season... 6th + a European quarter-final? That's great!

Five years ago yesterday we were playing at Rotherham. (Yes, that win)

Thanks for this - need perspective! We have been excellent since Emery came in. 

2 minutes ago, Villa87 said:

Let’s hope the players don’t let him down!!

Not sure who's giving the pre-game talks but I'd prefer it to be the one who gave the Arsenal and Citeh home matches, and not the Spurs one.

Unai really showing faith in Rogers. Should be a huge shot of confidence for the lad. From playing against Plymouth to starting against Lille in the space of a few months.

Edited by Keyblade

I like it. 

feel like Tim will need to play against arsenal so would have liked to see him tonight, but it’s a good team. Let’s **** batter em. 

Edited by blunther