Pre-match thread

wedge

2 minutes ago, supermon said:

That's cool for you, but imo getting 4th propels us to new heights over winning the fa cup. Just my opinion. I want to say my club has made champions league

I want to see us win a cup. Thats was success is, that's the point of sport, not joining a taking part club. 

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

I'm sick of it. So utterly sick of it. That people think finishing 4th is preferable to actually winning the FA Cup is everything that's wrong with football. In fact everything that's wrong with modern life.  I hate it.  All I want is to see John McGinn lifting that cup above his head at Wembley as the rapturous crowd go wild. 

**** 4th place being some kind of utopia. 

It's just a matter of opinion dude, as simple as that 

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:
8 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I don't give a shit. 

Yep I'd take the cup every day

4th (or 5th) would obviously be nice too... But to see us win something again, surely that's what it's all about? 

Normally I would agree but this season for me, getting CL is more important as sad as that is and I’m definitely more interested in the Newcastle game than the game tonight.  Obviously I’m excited for tonight but I do have more of an eye on Newcastle game.

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I'm sick of it. So utterly sick of it. That people think finishing 4th is preferable to actually winning the FA Cup is everything that's wrong with football. In fact everything that's wrong with modern life.  I hate it.  All I want is to see John McGinn lifting that cup above his head at Wembley as the rapturous crowd go wild. 

In the name of McGrath that would be amazing. 

5 minutes ago, Kingman said:

Its Clap for Klopp, Everyone on the doorstep at 8pm 

Should the Liverpool manager be promoting exhibitionism, and syphilis?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

It's mad

The crazy push to finish 4th so we can take part in a competition we won't win isn't just preferable over actually winning a competition it's miles and miles out in front 

For me it was also mental when Newcastle got their draw this year how many fans said they wouldn't want it for us, that was a dream draw, you can't win it so at least enjoy it in proper games 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

It's mad

The crazy push to finish 4th so we can take part in a competition we won't win isn't just preferable over actually winning a competition it's miles and miles out in front 

For me it was also mental when Newcastle got their draw this year how many fans said they wouldn't want it for us, that was a dream draw, you can't win it so at least enjoy it in proper games 

The only justification would be the fact it allows us to push on.  Not getting top 4 (or maybe 5) this season would severely hamper our future aspirations thanks to the farce of FFP. 

That said, I'd rather we won the FA Cup as that still gets us Europa League and an actual trophy on top. 

2 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Our better players probably do though.

Call me greedy but I want both as much on practical terms and acceptance of the way the modern game / world is. However watching SJM lift the FA Cup is a memory that would last a lifetime for all of us and I think Unai wants us to win every game, so perhaps this season we can live all our dreams? 

7 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Our better players probably do though.

• Like 1

Winning things is what sport is all about, and we haven’t won anything since 1996. The FA Cup would be a lifetime first for so many fans and nobody could ever take it away from us no matter what happens in future. 

However, I do get the preference for finishing 4th. The revenue jump is a sad requirement of the modern game if we’re to keep our top players and continue to invest. With regular CL football we will keep improving the team and with that, our chances of winning the FA Cup increase. 

Im not sure it’s actually a choice to prioritise one over the other anyway. We try to win every game, I’m sure. And if we end up in the Semis then I’m sure we’ll go all out to win it. All we can do for now is try and win tonight and take it from there. 

24 minutes ago, sidcow said:

thank-god.gif

• Thanks 1