Pre-match thread

wedge

10 hours ago, Django_Zooms said:

Unai's press conference comments made it clear that he is willing to sacrifice the FA Cup. 67 years of hurt and counting.

I didn’t get that vibe at all:

• Like 1

I had a nightmare we were losing 4-1. Can’t remember who it was against though. We had a red card and then 2 keepers got injured one after the other. Then my wife came in the room and said what’s happened to Villa? Really wound me up and I was about to flip out at her but I woke up. 

1-1 tonight.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

29 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I had a nightmare we were losing 4-1. Can’t remember who it was against though. We had a red card and then 2 keepers got injured one after the other. Then my wife came in the room and said what’s happened to Villa? Really wound me up and I was about to flip out at her but I woke up. 

1-1 tonight.

ha ha, the “1-1 tonight” really made me laugh there 😂 after such a build up 

• Haha 2

Our results have been poor without Pau Torres and we need to start showing we can win without him. Tonight will be tough but we have enough attacking quality to win if we can defend well. The most important games are Newcastle and Sheffield United, we really have to win both games IMO regardless of what happens against Chelsea. 

Team for tonight:

.......................Martinez......................

Cash.....Konsa.....Lenglet.....Moreno

.......................Kamara.......................

.................McGinn......Luiz................

....................Tielemans....................

................Diaby......Wakins..............

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Its scary how short we are tomorrow evening. 

Going to be hard to put 17 out yet alone 20. I think this is what we have currently

Watkins  

Diaby             Zaniolo

McGinn          Tielemans 

Luiz                 Big Tim

Kamara          Chambers

Bailey    

Moreno

Lenglet

Konsa            Carlos 

Cash

Martinez       Olsen

We will need some more youth on the bench. Wonder who they will take to Chelsea.  

I think this is why people like myself are so p*ssed off by this January window. We’ve already got several players out including Pau Torres who was only supposed to miss 1 or 2 games but as ever we get misled he’s missed nearly 5 games and counting. But we’re also now letting players go like Donk who wasn’t great that is true but he gave us an option off the bench. Now our bench will include 2 bloody goalkeepers again + 2/3 unproven youngsters I’m guessing. 

Our first eleven, whoever Emery goes with, will be strong and will give Chelsea a good game. I even think we’ll win tonight. However, our bench is going to be woefully short in some areas, so main thing is to gain a positive result but no further injuries please 🙏🏻

Martinez

Konsa     Carlos       Lenglet     Moreno                                 

Kamara       Luiz

McGinn                    Tielemans 

Bailey           Watkins 

Subs: Olsen, Proctor, Cash, Chambers, Iroegbunum, Zaniolo, Diaby, ??, ??

Couple of U21’s to fill the bench I guess - Rowe, Borland, Rory Wilson perhaps? Just throwing some names out there really.

Looks like Chelsea won't be playing the low block against us , what a welcome relief it will be.

Toe to toe, who scores the most it is then, 4-2 to villa, could go either way  though tbh, defo both teams to score and a high score line is my guess. UTV. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Django_Zooms said:

Unai's press conference comments made it clear that he is willing to sacrifice the FA Cup. 67 years of hurt and counting.

Did they?

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

I think this is why people like myself are so p*ssed off by this January window. We’ve already got several players out including Pau Torres who was only supposed to miss 1 or 2 games but as ever we get misled he’s missed nearly 5 games and counting. But we’re also now letting players go like Donk who wasn’t great that is true but he gave us an option off the bench. Now our bench will include 2 bloody goalkeepers again + 2/3 unproven youngsters I’m guessing. 

You can be pissed off if you want, but it's pretty clear that we are nearing our PSR limits so there's not much to be done. I'd rather we stayed on the right side of the line than received a 10-point penalty, personally. 

EDIT: Maybe look on the bright side, one of those 'unproven youngsters' could come on, play well, and be the next Ramsey or Grealish. Everyone has to start somewhere after all. 

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 2

It's interesting in a way that it's actually quite difficult for us to field a significantly weakened team - beyond the first team group that regularly play, we don't actually have very many players.

35 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

It's interesting in a way that it's actually quite difficult for us to field a significantly weakened team - beyond the first team group that regularly play, we don't actually have very many players.

Well last season we actually put on Chambers at half time when leading Chelsea and he played o.k. However he was so bad in Warsaw I think Emery just wrote him off from any serious minutes from that point so see if we get an offer for him on deadline day.

I wouldn't be against giving Tim some minutes but our midfield unit is all available again so makes sense to start them all and get into the collective rhythm ahead of the must win prem games next week.

Could also play Zaniolo off Ollie and save Bailey and Diaby for Newcastle.

Our bench will probably still be as good as what Chelsea will have on their one.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

1-1 tonight.

I feel like anyone who has nightmares about AVFC should be given special lifetime season tickets. You're true Villa.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

The subs rule skews ideas of squad strength a bit though. When it was 5 subs for ages and even 7 subs, we'd never have had any of this discussions, or ot wouldn't have come up so often. We have a core squad and first team with some alternatives. A few injuries hurts most teams really. I guess there are fewer young players at the stage of being trusted with the bench  they're either in the side or out on loan so it's the rawer Younger kids but imagine the squad with 16 or 18 instead of 20 and it looks more normal

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, striker said:

Is this on TV?

No but it is being streamed outside of UK so normal streaming channels will have coverage.

Edited by Paul33
  • Like 1

With VAR in place and the league best at catching offside vs 2nd in the league at being caught offside - it's going to be a pretty long evening for VAR and the linesmen. 

In September, there 11(!) offside called with 10 being on Chelsea.

6 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

I didn’t get that vibe at all:

Same here.

What i got from it was that Tom Ross is a bell end. I mean, i already new that but his questions here just reaffirmed it.

How on earth this bloke has made a career in the media is beyond me. Clown.

• Like 1