Pre-match thread

wedge

The fourth round of the FA Cup - uncharted territory for us of late!

Be interesting to see what team he puts out with a huge PL game against Newcastle a few days after.

1 hour ago, wedge said:

The fourth round of the FA Cup - unchartered territory for us of late!

Be interesting to see what team he puts out with a huge PL game against Newcastle a few days after.

Uncharted, though. "A chart may be a map, a diagram or even a list, whereas a charter is a licence or a law."

• Like 3

Meh if a game. I may be in the minority but just don't give a damn about the fa cup, would rather a b team play and keep the first team fresh for Newcastle. Rather we focus on getting 4th and keeping the calendar free

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, supermon said:

Meh if a game. I may be in the minority but just don't give a damn about the fa cup, would rather a b team play and keep the first team fresh for Newcastle. Rather we focus on getting 4th and keeping the calendar free

Yeh, with you on this. Weird one, if we were guaranteed an easy home draw in the next match I'd go all out but you just know we'll put all the effort in with our first XI only to get dumped out by City in the next round. 

CL needs to be our focus now. With so much noise around FFP, I just feel that revenue could sustain our push to become one of the 'top 6' on a permanent basis. 

12 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Yeh, with you on this. Weird one, if we were guaranteed an easy home draw in the next match I'd go all out but you just know we'll put all the effort in with our first XI only to get dumped out by City in the next round. 

CL needs to be our focus now. With so much noise around FFP, I just feel that revenue could sustain our push to become one of the 'top 6' on a permanent basis. 

Cheslea will be going for this with them not in Europe.  I agree, as good as it would be to win the FA Cup, CL has to be priority, we'd stand a better chance at winning this in the future if we've been in the CL a couple seasons.

On 15/01/2024 at 03:04, Django_Zooms said:

Why couldn't Villa draw Maidstone United at home? Why did Ipswich?

The irony being thay it's usually Chelsea who get thr piss easy home draw in the early rounds.

The one time they get a Prem team and it's against us.

I'd go with something like:                                      

Olsen

Cash           Carlos          Lenglet       Moreno

Dendoncker     Kamara

McGinn

Bailey         Duran        Diaby

On 16/01/2024 at 12:13, duke313 said:

Cheslea will be going for this with them not in Europe

They have 1-0 deficit home leg vs Boro in League Cup SF 3 days before. Hopefully that takes it out of them a bit. 

5 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

They have 1-0 deficit home leg vs Boro in League Cup SF 3 days before. Hopefully that takes it out of them a bit. 

Yeah extra time and penalties till 11.30pm + knocks and suspensions 

That would be lovely 😍 

• Like 1

Sure I hope Villa are competitive and try to win every match however I'd prefer to keep a few players fresh for the Barcodes.

McGinn, Konsa, Luiz, Watkins could all do with a rest as they have been practically ever-present this season.

20 hours ago, smg said:

Players are currently having around 10 days off what more rest do they need. Yes some have played more than others but they are elite athletes their recovery times are much less than us mere mortals.

It's probably more to do with the fact that we play this 4 days before the more important Newcastle game.

We will need everyone fighting fit for that. 

On 17/01/2024 at 04:45, Kiwivillan said:

You have to think that takes priority over our game so hopefully more of the fringe players start against us. No doubt we'll be trying to do the same.

I expect us to win if we go full strength. Ideal scenario would be for them to get dragged to ET against Boro. Maybe a late winner for them so they are content with their final.

6,000 fans on a Friday night. They're there for the taking if we take this seriously.

I've surprisingly low expectations for this one. Like I've almost written it off. I'd be very surprised if we get through. Not because we're not capable, but because I don't see us using a full team, and it won't take many alterations to put us below what Chelsea can do in current form.

This is a Chelsea win for me. Still though, 4th round eh? *looks wistfully off into the distance*

8 hours ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

6,000 fans on a Friday night. 

The potential effect of this can't be underrated, particularly the fact that Villa fans will have an entire behind-the-goal end. Usually the away fans at Chelsea are shoved in that corner but with an entire Shed End 6,000-strong roaring Villa on and completely out-noising the (fairly disgruntled at the moment I would say) home crowd from start to finish you'd think that would only help our cause on the pitch.

• Like 2

On 17/01/2024 at 04:45, Kiwivillan said:

Hopefully that goes all the way to penalties which they win after the 20th penalty is scored and theyll be knackered and happy to think they’re gonna win the League Cup which hopefully they don’t depending on who they get in the final?