Match Thread: Everton v Villa

limpid

1 minute ago, Tom13 said:

Yeah just seen this again and he didn't cut inside with the ball at all to get this chance. Not relevant in the slightest when I'm talking about his dribbling. It would be nice to see him go on the outside every now and again, but he's obviously more comfortable cutting inside.

Doesn't matter though - the point is that it's so expected that he cuts inside that it can open up opportunities on his right; and I think he did take it down the wing once but can't remember.  Might have been Diaby.

7 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

We controlled it for the most part. Getting tired of players wanting to shield the ball and waiting to get dispossessed rather than laying it off quickly. Its constant today. 

Thank you. Thought I was the only person getting wound up by this. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, chips'ngravy said:

Pretty sure he grew up as a bluenose

No, he was deffo a Villa supporter in his younger days....we used to drink with his father-in-law who confirmed this.

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Considering that you even see players, coaches and supporters abusing the refs at kids' games, you've got to have thick skin to want to go into it as a profession. I think I'd end up chinning some word removed in my first 45 minutes (I'd start with the kids, obviously). 

Pay them more, target the academy players that don't make it, have them in the PL younger 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

Considering that you even see players, coaches and supporters abusing the refs at kids' games, you've got to have thick skin to want to go into it as a profession. I think I'd end up chinning some word removed in my first 45 minutes (I'd start with the kids, obviously). 

I’m involved with an FA and we have never made more money from fines through discipline. It’s awful. But change has to come from the top and no one is willing to commit to stopping cheating, abuse and dissent. “Oh but refs are shit so let’s abuse them”. Yes that’ll help. And why do you think the standard is so low???

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

It wasn't for me, personally.  Ball was there to be challenged for, he basically gets Martinez around the same time Martinez grabs the ball and studs just exist on football boots.

But then, I'm quite anti-"red card for any studs" challenge, so I accept I view things differently.

I thought that but then Ollie got a booking for jumping with his arm by his side, winning the header but connecting with Tarkowski, I'd have thought both were of equal fouliness.

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

All to play for second half, if Bailey had just taken one step forward we’d have gone 1-0 up, Lenglet nearly cost us though in not holding the line, thankfully we have the world number one in nets.

Feel like it’s there to be won if we can get a bit more intensity out of Diaby and Bailey but it’s on a knife edge as we could easily concede and lose.

I've noticed Lenglet's done that a couple times without anything happen. He's not bought into it, I think.

1 minute ago, est1874 said:

Do we think Diaby is going to come good this side of the close season? Been really poor IMO

Considering we spent upwards of 30m on him i'd like to hope so...

A complete passenger, can't afford to carry those when your challenging for a top 4 spot.

Edited by AshVilla
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I would love to know who put Diaby to sleep for the last 4 months. 

he just seems to drift into the middle or in the same space as Bailey, he needs to go left or wide right and switch with Bailey like he did the first handful of times he played with Bailey, he looks good when he gets on the ball in the final third.

Edited by VillanousOne

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

Doesn't matter though - the point is that it's so expected that he cuts inside that it can open up opportunities on his right; and I think he did take it down the wing once but can't remember.  Might have been Diaby.

I get what you're saying now, it makes it unpredictable when he does go on the outside.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think we miss that extra man in midfield and if Tielemans has 45 in him, I'd have him on now for one of Bailey or Diaby. We probably also miss Pau Torres ability to get the ball into that extra midfield man. As it is, this one is pretty even, we've looked good when we've been able to get the ball down, but we need a little bit more control.

Can’t keep saying “we miss X player”. We have a squad of quality players. They have to set it up against the likes of Everton.