Pre Match Thread

I’d say we just need to put half first team, half reserve team out really.

Maybe start Olsen in goal over Martinez (or maybe even Marschall) I would be surprised if Emery starts with Martinez.

I think Emery’s goal is to win trophy’s with us, so he might take this game seriously. However, I think it’s been the past 5 years (or even longer) that we’ve been out in the 3rd round. We’ve been shockingly poor in the 3rd round stages.

It would be good if we had decent cup run for once.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Louis said:

I’d say we just need to put half first team, half reserve team out really.

Maybe start Olsen in goal over Martinez (or maybe even Marschall) I would be surprised if Emery starts with Martinez.

I think Emery’s goal is to win trophy’s with us, so he might take this game seriously. However, I think it’s been the past 5 years (or even longer) that we’ve been out in the 3rd round. We’ve been shockingly poor in the 3rd round stages.

It would be good if we had decent cup run for once.

I think we will play our usual cup team and play the game largely at half pace.

Should have enough therefore to go through but not perceived as the worst thing in the world if we go out, like the league Cup, rightly or wrongly. 

4 hours ago, John said:

I see Sutton has said "I think they (Boro) can cause the upset this time if Unai Emery makes as many changes as I expect". Bring back Lawro BBC, I think you have to be anti-Villa to do these predictions.  

But Sutton is an ex-Villa legend.

• Haha 2

After listening to Carrick it seems that a few of their injury devestated squad might be nearing a return , but at the same time they have a semi v Chelsea 3 days later. It will be i guess a v weak team he puts out.

1 hour ago, turvontour said:

I think we will play our usual cup team and play the game largely at half pace.

Should have enough therefore to go through but not perceived as the worst thing in the world if we go out, like the league Cup, rightly or wrongly. 

Hence your comment I highlighted in bold, yes you’re right. We’ve played a lot of games this season, that includes the following: UECL, that’s forcing us to play Sunday games at 2pm. The League Cup, if we were still in that, then that is a lot of games or in my liking, to many games in one season with that involved. (In which personally I’m not bothered about progression in the League Cup at all.) Then of course, the League itself, which is the most important one.

As I say, Emery might surprise us and put out full first team (but he might not), he might take the FA Cup seriously as I said in my previous post.

Boro have a game against Chelsea after us, so it will be interesting to see if they might go for it when they play us or they might rest players too.

If there's one player I wouldn't risk, it would have to be Watkins. Duran up front should be able to put this lot to the sword, maybe give Dougie a rest and bring in Tim.

I really hope we progress as it's been far too long since we've failed to.

Come on me Babbys!

• Like 3

They must have been desperate to find a cupset somewhere to put this on the BBC.  

I'd really prefer us not to go out in the 3rd round again live on TV to a team in a league lower than us so can we just get through this stage because our record is actually a shambles. I expect the team will look something like we put out for the European games which should really be strong enough, we've got another week off after this there's no need to play a weak side. 

• Like 1

Given very few youth players have even made the bench this season "play the kids" is not big on the list of Emery's objectives this season.

It will be a strong team I think, with maybe just McGinn and Konsa rested.

We may see Lenglet at LB but I suspect Moreno will start to get even more minutes into his legs.

1 hour ago, Farlz said:

They must have been desperate to find a cupset somewhere to put this on the BBC.  

I'd really prefer us not to go out in the 3rd round again live on TV to a team in a league lower than us so can we just get through this stage because our record is actually a shambles. I expect the team will look something like we put out for the European games which should really be strong enough, we've got another week off after this there's no need to play a weak side. 

Exactly - you and me are in the same boat.

1 hour ago, Farlz said:

Exactly this Farlz.

12 hours ago, AVTuco said:

Strong team. Need to win for once. Our recent FA Cup history is embarrasing. Time to win the whole thing.

67 years and counting

• Like 1

It's a really weird betting market for FA cup winner. 

Chelsea and Man U second and third favourites, ahead of us, Liverpool, Arsenal etc.

Chelsea 10/1 and us at 20/1 is bizzare. Unless they think we won't be interested. 

There can't be a major side with a worse recent record than us in the FA Cup.

It really is abhorrent.

41 minutes ago, turvontour said:

It's a really weird betting market for FA cup winner. 

Chelsea and Man U second and third favourites, ahead of us, Liverpool, Arsenal etc.

Chelsea 10/1 and us at 20/1 is bizzare. Unless they think we won't be interested. 

I think that’s exactly what they think. 

As much as I respect the FA Cup, our current league position (and even the conference knockouts) is far more important in my eyes.

• Like 2

We probably win this, but I wouldn't be too bothered if we don't. There are other more important things going on. The ideal scenario here is we pick a very changed team and it still progresses, and doesn't compromise the league team. Maybe bring back a few injured players, get some others up to speed etc. But for me the FA Cup this season should be nothing other than assisting in our league form in any way that it can. Or if that means a gap in our schedule later on then that will do too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

67 years and counting

Always makes me think of that QF against West Ham at Upton park. I really thought we were going to win it that year, until big Ken inexplicably tried to clear a corner with his hand. It was bad enough losing, then, us as fans, had to run the gauntlet of the  most feared hooligan firm in England. Scary!

• Like 1