Pre Match Thread

Not many youngsters been involved this season as they're either been sold with buybacks, they're out on loan, or have been injured - see Iroegbunam, Patterson, Young, and Kellyman, so other that just leaves the really young first year scholars, I have wondered if any of Triston Rowe, Jimoh, or Broggio could make the squad tomorrow, but maybe a bit soon for them. I guess Feeney is another possibility for the bench with Pau being out.

I think starting eleven is going to be pretty strong, I did notice that the official sites were showing a lot of pictures of Marschall in the week, not sure if we can read too much into that though, would be a big challenge and opportunity for him if he does play, Iroegbunam the other possibility, but if he has loan lined up, not sure if we would risk him.

Posted (edited)

There is no way Unai will put out anything but absolutely the strongest squad available to him. Forget it.  I can’t see him taking any unnecessary risks when the stakes are so high. Boro could easily win this if we **** around. Can’t risk getting bumped from another chance at silverware.  

Rotate? Rotate from what and for what? We haven't played since Dec. 30. and we're not playing again until Jan. 14.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

10 hours ago, useless said:

Not many youngsters been involved this season as they're either been sold with buybacks, they're out on loan, or have been injured - see Iroegbunam, Patterson, Young, and Kellyman, so other that just leaves the really young first year scholars, I have wondered if any of Triston Rowe, Jimoh, or Broggio could make the squad tomorrow, but maybe a bit soon for them. I guess Feeney is another possibility for the bench with Pau being out.

I think starting eleven is going to be pretty strong, I did notice that the official sites were showing a lot of pictures of Marschall in the week, not sure if we can read too much into that though, would be a big challenge and opportunity for him if he does play, Iroegbunam the other possibility, but if he has loan lined up, not sure if we would risk him.

Surely Martinez has to play. He's not in need of resting, and Marschall doesn't need to be given minutes. If not, we're treating FA Cup as a training session.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Villatillidie95 said:

If we lose today we become the first team to lose 9 successive fa cup matches 😱let’s smash them at the riverside today!!

I didn't need to know this.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Please don’t tell me when you see our European cup winning team in their white kit you think of Leeds  ?! :(

Cognitive dissonance. The white strip took the tiniest sliver of a fraction of edge off the joy - I had to suppress my distaste. We should have been in claret and blue. Even light blue shorts would have helped. 

• Like 1

I can’t see anything but a loss. We seem to hate the FA Cup, have half our squad out and are playing on the back of 3 poor performances against a side who will be well up for it. 

• Sad 1

Live on BBC, prime time Saturday, its these type of games that drag the casual and younger fans into being fans, let's put a show on and play some of our best football. Start strong and finish with subs. 

• Like 1

I was in 2 minds about this yesterday, do we need the extra cup games etc... 

But, we haven't played for a week, our next game is Sunday next week, so no reason not to go full strength. 

I'm fed up of losing to teams like this in the Cup, about time we went out and done one of them by 3 or 4. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Ooo no VAR!!! Thank Christ. If a goal goes in we can actually celebrate and no pissing around with offsides being massively delayed. 

Yeah definitely some positives but given the offside trap we play have to hope the assistant refs get the decisions right!

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Yeah definitely some positives but given the offside trap we play have to hope the assistant refs get the decisions right!

They usually do tbf. Not many goals against us have gone to VAR

We've had a dip in form in the league after the exertions of the city and arsenal games. We've not looked fresh since and struggled without Kamara and Torres at times. We should be resting our key players here, I love the cup but if we want to maintain 2ppg and we aren't about to sign 2/3 reinforcements we need to manage the squad.

1 hour ago, Spoony said:

Ooo no VAR!!! Thank Christ. If a goal goes in we can actually celebrate and no pissing around with offsides being massively delayed. 

This is quite interesting actually. I think VAR is the reason inventive coaches such as Emery and Postecoglu are now playing insanely high defensive lines as they know they'll not get punished by a bad linesman's call and can take much bigger risks pushing forward. It'll be interesting to see if he changes things today now that there's no VAR.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spoony said:

No VAR is bad for us. Our whole defensive set up through the high line requires VAR to confirm the offside traps we play for. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Spoony said:

Wait till we don't get a stonewall penalty.