Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Sheff Utd

limpid

Match Polls  

209 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 25/12/23 at 23:59

Just now, The_Steve said:

Which is why it's fundamentally dishonest of VAR to show officials one angle.

Considering how long it took, I'm sure they looked at it from a number of angles. It's obviously a foul, but so is the shirt pulling, which begun before Ramseys foul.

14 minutes ago, Genie said:

Pretty embarrassing reactions at 0-1 on here if I’m honest. It’s ok to be disappointed but people need to get a grip.

We had a lot of possession but created almost nothing clear cut. It’s something we’ll encounter more and more if we hold a spot in the top 4/5.

We can’t rely on VAR over turning referee decisions to give us pens. We need to be more imaginative in our build up play.

This is why I just ignore these threads after poor games like today. Let the irrationality flow freely. Just step aside as it runs through the board and return once people have calmed down.

• Like 1

For family-related reasons I watched a lot of this match with the sound off, including the disallowed goal. I watched the replays over and over but I couldn’t even understand what was being checked. I managed to get the sound on just in time to hear Jamie Carragher babbling some completely incoherent explanation of the decision but I remain completely in the dark about why what looked a completely legitimate goal was disallowed, I am sure this wasn’t why VAR was introduced. I also noted the obvious handball that was overlooked by VAR that should have led to a penalty.

I have mentioned this before for other games (e.g. Bournemouth away) but in the last three seasons we would have lost this game but the fact that we came back with an equaliser shows there is a new resilience in the squad that should make us not too disappointed at this result. There will always be games that are shit like this one but we got a point and we are still justifiably up there in 2nd place.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Been saying all season the proof was in the Europe games. We have 1 winning team, inclusive of Pau and Bouba. We didn't have them today, so we were back to the struggle.

This is why I'm not even too botthered with a Champions League place. We just don't have the squad for it and will just do a Newcastle.

Edited by foreveryoung

2 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

Duran didn't do what I expected at all.

I still can't get my head around them watching their defender drag him around by his shirt, and them reviewing it for a red card on Duran. That **** referee man.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

Not to mention slow motion.

There's so much wrong with the application of VAR in the PL it's hard to know where to start, but if it were me, it'd be a bus full of referees to the nearest river and some concrete boots

I'd add there was no discussion about phases of play either. There's zero accountability in VAR as its usage raises more questions than answers.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Heard that eternal optimist Bardell saying we don't need any more players - we absolutely do and tonight is why.

We struggle with creativity against low block teams, so a quick thinking midfield player like Christian Eriksen is what we need.

Someone like Youri Tielemans?

1 minute ago, maqroll said:

I'm American, and still learning the soccer rules. Had no idea you can shove a striker from behind inside the penalty-zone. Those guys might need to start wearing shoulder pads!

Nobody really knows the rules any more. While there are broad outlines, a lot of the intricacies of them basically are fluid and at the whim of VAR officials.

• Like 1

Just now, Davkaus said:

I still can't get my head around them watching their defender drag him around by his shirt, and them reviewing it for a red card on Duran. That **** referee man.

Duran had his shirt pulled first so I don't understand why they got a free kick either (which lead to their goal). No excuse for sleeping at the back, but the whole thing was baffling. Duran was clearly just trying to get himself free.

• Like 1

I was surprised to see that people thought we were doing well at halftime, we barely looked like scoring, their keeper didn't have to make a save, and moves kept breaking down, them letting us have the ball, doesn't equal us playing well, if we want top four we have to be doing much much better than that, we were at home to one of the worst teams ever in this league, not only that but they were playing a weakend team, it was less to do with them parking the bus and more to do with our poor play in the final third, we were completely lacklustre.

And that didn't change much in the second half.

Was almost as if on some level we thought the win was inevitable, so were way too casual, and that cost us, I would say we should learn from it, but it's not the first time it's happened, us struggling in games where we're strong favorites is becoming a recurring theme.

One positive is that we rescued a point, if you're going to draw a game like this, better to do it with a late equalizer, if we can get three points against Man Utd then this result won't seem so bad, would have taken four points from the two games beforehand, but that's going to be a big ask.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

It’s called raw emotion. People are upset. Once they calm down they will realise it was the wrong reaction. I had one too. But it could have been top for the first time in however long. 

On another note - is a push in the back allowed? That is a genuine question if anyone can answer it?

It’s a judgement call. Placing hands on other players is allowed be it the front or the back.

Whats gone against Watkins here is the fact it’s so early in the game, and he’s clearly exaggerated the fall. It could have been given and sometimes they do, but I can see why it wasn’t. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, useless said:

I was surprised to see that people thought we were doing well at halftime, we barely looked like scoring, their keeper didn't have to make a save, and moves kept breaking down, them letting us have the ball, doesn't equal us playing well, if we want top four we have to be doing much much better than that, we were at home to one of the worst teams ever in this league, not only that but they were playing a weakend team, it was less to do with them parking the bus and more to do with our poor play in the final third, we were completely lacklustre.

Was almost as if on some level we thought the win was inevitable, so were way too casual, and that cost us, I would say we should learn from it, but it's not the first time it's happened, us struggling in games where we're strong favorites is becoming a recurring theme.

One positive is that we rescued a point, if you're going to draw a game like this, better to do it with a late equalizer, if we can get three points against Man Utd then this result won't seem so bad, would have taken four points from the two games beforehand, but that's going to be a big ask.

I think Unai got it wrong with Diaby x Bailey x Cash out on the right - they seemed to get in each other's way. The only time they looked like a threat was when Leon or Moussa ran at them with pace. I think Cash made some good crosses at times, but he slows things down way too much. I don't think we utilised the opposite wing enough either.

2 minutes ago, useless said:

We ain't getting 3 points from Man U at there place, however shit they are.

Â