Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Sheff Utd

limpid

Match Polls  

209 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 25/12/23 at 23:59

Well we were not at our best and, yet again, struggled to break down a team playing a low block. VAR didn’t help but there’s no point in moaning as we have benefited from some contentious decisions recently. Konsa was our best player in my opinion having made some timely tackles. On to Mold Trafford…

• Like 1

Game was screaming out for Buendia to help us against a low block.

Some interesting decisions and while I think Ramsay has fouled the keeper - how far back do you go? You could argue he was fouled first, which means a penalty.

Clearly change of phase, and the keeper was up and in position when we scored.

All that said - we needed to create more and we didn't. Good goal from Zaniolo to keep us undefeated at home

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Absolutely shafted both on field and in the VAR room. 2 pens not given, incredibly soft disallowed goal considering what wasn’t given for us on field. 

but we just aren’t good enough at breaking down defensive teams. 

Neither are |Liverpool, Niether are Man City.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Genie said:

It’s fine to be disappointed, we weren’t good enough tonight and still got a point. The embarrassing bit is people saying our whole season is collapsing before our eyes :lol: 

Bad days happen to all teams. We go again. 

Can't even get top 4 any more mate. May as well wind the club up.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

Shirt pulled and shoved in the back by a defender who makes no effort to play the ball. What a joke.

If anything the defender is trying to hold Watkins up from his salmon dive fearing it might get given.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DeepDish said:

How can that be a free kick for the keeper when the United defender pushes and drags Ramsey into the keeper? Should have been a penalty.

Probably cus from that angle they're looking at it, Ramsey is actually holding his arm, thus hindering him jumping.

10 minutes ago, Powehi said:

The pathetic attitude towards refereeing and VAR (which I wish didn’t exist, but for different reasons) continues on here. It’s never our fault, is it? Like a bunch of Artetas.

We weren’t good enough but still managed to escape with a point. Seasons gone by we would have lost that. Joint top of the table on points tonight. Let’s go to Old Trafford with Pau back and see how we go. 

This post will get lots of negative reaction but it's absolutely correct. Some of our fans are embarrassing and pathetic with their "corrupt" and "everyone's out to get us" rhetoric.

We had just won 15 home games in a row. If the powers that be were conspiring to screw us over, they've obviously done a terrible job of it. Grow the **** up.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

It’s fine to be disappointed, we weren’t good enough tonight and still got a point. The embarrassing bit is people saying our whole season is collapsing before our eyes :lol: 

Bad days happen to all teams. We go again. 

It’s called raw emotion. People are upset. Once they calm down they will realise it was the wrong reaction. I had one too. But it could have been top for the first time in however long. 

On another note - is a push in the back allowed? That is a genuine question if anyone can answer it?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Genie said:

Pretty embarrassing reactions at 0-1 on here if I’m honest. It’s ok to be disappointed but people need to get a grip.

We had a lot of possession but created almost nothing clear cut. It’s something we’ll encounter more and more if we hold a spot in the top 4/5.

We can’t rely on VAR over turning referee decisions to give us pens. We need to be more imaginative in our build up play.

Yep. They got the goal at a period where we lost our heads, shape, structure. It could have been 2 to them at that point. The subs killed us. Even if Zaniolo came on and scored. Duran didn't do what I expected at all.

• Like 1

Injuries and squad depth hurting us a bit today. Torres, youri and bouba missing are big for any team to deal with plus I’m guessing Carlos was not 100% or being rested for Utd. Having said that we need to move the ball quicker in the final third when we play these teams that stick everyone behind the ball otherwise they just get themselves reorganised.
Thought Duran and zaniolo despite the goal we’re poor and it’s a big drop in quality when diaby goes off. 
I don’t think mcginn in the middle worked at all, it stopped his natural attacking game and final thought is that if the ref hasn’t given a foul on the gk why are VAR looking at an incident that ultimately had no impact on the goal? It didn’t stop him being in position it didn’t effect the defensive setup so I think that was VAR at its anti goal worst 

5 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

Can't vote as they were rubbish and would vote zaniolo

The bad first 

Cash useless, total waste of space today, 

Lenget was Mr sideways, whole body shape every time he had the ball was turn sideways no forward thinking at all.

Ramsey was pretty useless and should have been off at half time carried on turning inside doing nothing.

Mcginn elected literally every single time to pass the ball to opposition when a shot was on.

Digne, not one cross, all night, not 1.

Emery not making the changes that were glaringly obvious to everyone.

The good

Zaniolos goal

What a piss poor effort against the worst team in the league and by far the worst away team in the league.

Thrown away 2 points thrown away our home win run and just played terrible slow plodding crap.

Lenget should have been off for Carlos at half time, he plays on the front foot and can ping a quick pass. 

Ramsey should have been off at half time for zaniolo 

Tonight I would be pissed off with if we were mid table, to have the chance to go top and have so many poor efforts out there was embarrassing.

Go have a lie down you will feel better in the morning. It really isn’t the end of the world we are second you get nothing for being top in December and who realistically would have thought that we would have been in top two back in August. We are doing well this season enjoy it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Didn't celebrate the equaliser as I was utterly convinced it would be disallowed

Yep - they always look for reasons to overturn. What a sad situation.

1 minute ago, R.Bear said:

This post will get lots of negative reaction but it's absolutely correct. Some of our fans are embarrassing and pathetic with their "corrupt" and "everyone's out to get us" rhetoric.

We had just won 15 home games in a row. If the powers that be were conspiring to screw us over, they've obviously done a terrible job of it. Grow the **** up.

I don't believe they're "out to get us" or anything like that but it's undeniable that the state of officiating, VAR in particular, is absolutely shocking and essentially a form of legalised (albeit unintentional) match-fixing.

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

Which is why it's fundamentally dishonest of VAR to show officials one angle.

Not to mention slow motion.

There's so much wrong with the application of VAR in the PL it's hard to know where to start, but if it were me, it'd be a bus full of referees to the nearest river and some concrete boots

• Like 1

Â