• Ramsey (Zaniolo 45)
    • Durán (McGinn 65)
    • Cash (Konsa 74)
    • Moreno (Digne 74)
    • Diaby (Bailey 74)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/12/23 at 23:59

21 minutes ago, holteend1982 said:

Ref bottled it early on. The bedwetting in the match thread is beyond pathetic. 

Nothing to add. But to reiterate this. Utterly toxic nonsense about certain players, when many across the pitch didn’t turn up for large chunks of the match. It’s a team game, will criticise yes, but the players get my support still.

Ref bottled sending Semenyo off twice.  

• Like 2

while our away form is weak (at least compared to our Home form), its not quite as bad as i think it is, in my head.

ie: Away record under Emery in the PL is W-9, D-5, L-6.

but yeah, if we lose to Forest away, and draw with Bournemouth away, it isnt going to bode well for a top 4 tbf.

I think, realistically, top 6 would be a very, very good finish, we will see though i guess.

image.thumb.png.8e35a72d2c4d177ad259962fe5caa156.png

• Like 1

There just isn't quite the cutting edge or motivation there for bottom half teams, and a three day turnaround. That's the challenge of fake European football. Going to have results like this.

A point flattered us I think, but we're always threatening up front. Some praise to Emery for the change up - it bought us the equalizer.

A little disappointing with all the results around us this week and the next two games we have - but glad to get a point and move on.

Didn’t see the game just followed the comments on here.

By all accounts another poor away performance but, but, a point away to an in form Bournemouth is not the worst result.

Gaining points when playing poorly is something Villa didn’t do in previous seasons so that’s a massive improvement in itself!

Konsa needs to play in the centre for next two games while it’s obvious to everyone that more players are needed in January to freshen things up and I feel both will happen.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Zaniolo losting ball about 9 times sets the foundation for the game.

They grow in confidence as a result of it.

With Diaby starting we are probably winning this.

11 according the the adjudicator in the match thread.

• Haha 2

I don’t think anyone could have argued that Bournemouth probably deserved to win that. They pressed **** out of us and were first to most balls, they seemed to have much more energy than a slightly jaded Villa team. Big up to Martinez for his outstanding close range saves, he was excellent today and kept us in it. 

The referee was a disgrace, too scared to issue second yellows which if given correctly would have changed the context to the game. The absence of red cards just served to give Bournemouth free rein to pull shirts and foul at every opportunity. I’ve watched the disallowed goal back a few times and really can’t see why it was called for offside. VAR has been royally **** up in its implementation in the premier league.

It was a frustrating afternoon, much like the game at The City Ground. The big difference today is we found a way back into it and left with a point, which when added to the three at Spurs is a decent return from two away games. We are still fourth going into two home games, albeit two of the hardest home games you can face in this league. Let’s hope we rest and recover and look much sharper on Wednesday. I’m also hoping for a load of Abu Dhabi FC players to get sent off/badly injured in the game on now.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Kingman said:

Load of bollocks, if your judgement tells you that referee has not had a poor game then go buy a hamster

Ref will be embarrassed when he sees it back and will be at Bristol City next week. 

Pathetic 

Which part of my post was defending the ref? :D 

My first reply to this topic was:

31 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

We should have been good enough to beat these 11 vs 11, our performance wasn't good enough, but the ref's a useless word removed who basically handed them a result.

You've not read the post I was replying to and have completely misinterpreted what I was saying before going on a rant about something I didn't say

Edited by Davkaus
  • Haha 1

Thought it was a game for Moreno, needed to threaten in the wings more.

Zaniola has a bundle of ability but it's not working for him at all. Looking forward to JJ coming back.

Emi motm and it's not even close.

Bournemouth are a very different side from earlier in the season - a lot of players out but still very lively and competitive.

Take the point and run. 

We were crap to be honest. I think midweeks events probably played a part and maybe team selection wasn't the best with Zaniolo playing and Konsa pushed out to RB.

That header from Watkins was brilliant and scabbed us a point, which we bag and take. 

The next 2 games define us. If we come though with 3 points, it's massive. Realistically, I see 1 point but you don't know with us at VP, we are a totally different team. 

On a side note, ref was pathetic but we can't keep blaming that as 99% of them are and VAR is just as useless. 

I don't think we've been good in any of the past 3 games against Spurs Legia Bournemouth, but we've got 7 points from 9. That's the big positive for me.

We knew our lack of depth would come into the equation when fixtures pile up and it was plain to see today. Zaniolo is too expensive to be such a project, utterly pathetic in all departments. With Kamara out, Dendoncker and Iroegbunam are the profile of player we needed in midfield but for different reasons, Emery clearly doesn't trust either of them. He went with Luiz Tielemans and they were predictably overpowered. Cash has no competition for right back, showed us up today as the Konsa-Carlos axis was exploited time and again. Duran is so raw that he should only really be thrown on for a bit of chaos roulette when we're desperate (stupid card or great goal? what will it be!)

We are a good side with a great manager, but a collective lack of physicality, pace and intensity are our biggest weakness. I was surprised we went for Pau and Tielemans in the summer with that in mind. Obviously they have their upsides in other areas. Diaby and Zaniolo (at the time) made more sense to me because of the electric pace and Zaniolo's stature. But neither of them were in areas of the pitch you constantly compete for 50-50s and headers.

I still believe we are 3-4 players short of a squad capable of competing for Champions League spots. Back up keeper that isn't scared of a short pass. Right back. Big athletic midfielder. Striker. That is not a bad reflection at all on the job we've done so far under Emery and Monchi, we just have a bit further to go.

2 huge games next in which we will be big underdogs despite our home record. To say our defending needs to improve would be the understatement of the century. A lot of work to do in very little time. Good luck to Unai and the lads. UTV

• Like 3

Needs to stop the Konsa right back experiment. Also the big worry for me now is if you press us heavily you’re going to get numerous chances. We missed kamara today but he played in every other game where it’s been a big issue. And that’s against Bournemouth and Forrest that it’s cost us. Injury ridden spurs nearly put 4 past us first half. City and arsenal could be worse. Huge week ahead 

• Like 2

Duran hit the post, and Digne's marginal offside to disallow Carlos's redemption goal after the wayward pass that started the trouble suggest we weren't that far off taking all 3 points but in reality a great header from Watkins salvages a point.

We really have to stop gifting chances with wayward passing around at the back. Not as bad as the one against Warsaw the other night but the same result. And this one arguably cost us the win.

Ref was inconsistant. I didn't see the first yellow for either of them but Semenyo really should have walked before half time and Kluivert was lucky not to pick up a second yellow too I thought.

Martinez made some great saves to keep us in it.

A point more than I thought we would get tbh and the chances they missed first half should have put this game beyond us.

These teams are going to make it difficult for us especially away. The ref allowed the physical side of the game to push the line between championship and Premier league football and favoured the home team, its that simple. We struggled with this all game, second to the ball and second in 50/50 battles. Our right side was wide open, Konza exposed time and time again with no support.

Watkins battled all game and his goal was......well world class, he's going to be our best ever striker, he's that good and getting better 👏 

No need to panic, we are not going to win every game.UTV 

• Like 1

First game Ive missed watching live for years, looks like it was a good one to miss.

Saw the highlights, the Watkins goal was tremendous, he is on fire at the moment, and Duran’s turn and shot was terrific, shame it didn’t go in. Couldn’t see much wrong with Carlos’s goal they must have really looked very hard to find something in that, and the unpunished pull back is an absolute disgrace, there should be repercussions for that, it’s embarrassing.

Plenty to be confident about, despite the away form, we’ve dug in in our last two away games rather than crumble and if given a chance, we would likely have taken 4 points from the last two fixtures.

Well Villa fans is your glass half full or half empty? 

Before the 2 away games if someone had offered you 4 points, I think most would have accepted them.

The disappointment is that from Forest, Wolves & Bournemouth we have only amassed 2 points. 9 points may have had us hitting the top of the league too early.😀

Emi Martinez a clear Villa man of the match. He cannot be happy playing behind that lopsided defence. Against City it has to be Cash & Konsa restored to their normal positions.

A massive week ahead and we will get a clear view of exactly where we stand.

Onwards & Upwards. UTV

• Like 4

We weren't at the races. Hangover from midweek and probably with an eye on Arsenal and City and players taking eye of the ball a bit. Honestly any team with top 6 ambitions a point from forest and Bournemouth away is poor. Hoping for a good performance soon, even against Spurs we could have been 3-0 down after 15 mins, forest was bad, legia we got ahead and strangled the game, today was bad. Roll on the next 4-0 bashing of some no hopers! It's crazy we've come so far that that's the only complaint 😂 and we can score against anyone.

Desperate for a new RB in Jan.

• Like 1

Â