• Ramsey (Zaniolo 45)
    • Durán (McGinn 65)
    • Cash (Konsa 74)
    • Moreno (Digne 74)
    • Diaby (Bailey 74)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/12/23 at 23:59

3 hours ago, TRO said:

No......You are most definately right.

His attributes are missing, Pau despite all his superlative skill set....does not have the ability to engage physically as Tyrone.....He is the "Go to" dominant defender.....Ezri and Pau are more sweepers, both good defenders, but a different type....they are more likely to play off a Dominant defender, Like Allan Evans played off McNaught.

Ty mistakes started to dry up as Unai was making his mark, so I think his error laden past, was behind him.....Ty in my opinion, has covered for many players, for what he does good at, and a Mickey van de ven or a Sven Botman would have been a good buy for the squad.....I would still have bought Pau, for his undoubted class leading skills....I am not sure Carlos will be, what we was hoping for.

The good thing is that Tyrone no longer has to look the manager in the eye and can concentrate on his game, which is now, under a proper manager, solid. In fact I’d say developing very well and perhaps could be described as the best if his career, especially as he’s now doing it at the top end of the PL and in Europe. Which highlights his strength and the remarkable job Unai is doing. I think it was you TRO in an earlier post that said he, Unai, has lots of things to consider in the bigger picture and not just the game we’re playing or about to play, it is in this context that we have to judge the manager and the players. A bigger and better squad will always help of course. Thoughts that our current squad is good enough to win the league are at best fanciful. The bigger squads always finish the season strongly just at the time when squads of lesser quality fall back. Last season whilst not unusual was a good example of this. Hopefully we do good work in the January market and we don’t suffer the consequences of not doing so. The good news is that we are in very good hands now through the club. UTV!!!!

• Like 1

It's funny that we got a point from this match when we were I think even worse against Bournemouth compared to Spurs when we got all 3.

Do make our own luck with some proactivity in our substitutes.

Clearly would have changed the match. Wolves, Forest, and Bournemouth get a lot of cynical fouling to stop our fluidity. 

Though as terrible as the refs have been, we have to find a way to rise above in these situations.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DJBOB said:

Clearly would have changed the match. Wolves, Forest, and Bournemouth get a lot of cynical fouling to stop our fluidity. 

Though as terrible as the refs have been, we have to find a way to rise above in these situations.

From 4:51

11 hours ago, TRO said:

There lies the issue, I think Brin.

I think we need to differentiate between Criticism and Observation.....and scoring goals and Conceding goals.

4 points from 2 tough away games is bang on the money.....our overall league position is tremendous....but as the thread says its a match reaction, where we talk about the game, not about how well we have done since previous managers.

I take it, we all want to win something.....and our form since Unai arrived is the conduit to possibly get there.....but whatever the mitigating circumstances, some of our on field actions i.e defending, is making it a tad more difficult at present.

Scoring 2 goals away from home, is as good as it gets, Imo, but to get results, you have to deny your opponents in getting any.....I think there was elements of the game, that we could have done better, with that.....thats is not to say, that equates to being ungrateful for past games of enthralling excitement.....its merely commenting on what we see.

I will be amazed, if Unai comes away from that game, and says to the players, nothing to work on, that was great, you have served me well, in my time here, so we will go in to the next 2 games, with our heads held high...."onward and upward"

No Brin.....You know, and I know, he will be working on things, he was not happy with........If its ok for him, its ok for us, to have a grown up conversation, of how we can improve, without Peeing on someone chips, because that is not the objective.

No one is ungrateful....its a different beast now, with different objectives and different standards....Hopefully that means we can have discussions of how we can improve, without being negative, or booing, when we are losing or struggling.

We as fans are learning too, to support a team with the above ideals and objectives...no one wants negative moaning, but constructive dialogue as to how we can improve, and identifying shortfalls should be a positive move.

Well I have watched the match now and wouldn’t change any of my comments in that post. 

I accept it was silly of me to expect to get a sensible view of how the match was going from the match thread because it is increasingly bonkers these days. It is very frustrating though if it is your only source of information. The speed and ease with which people start turning on the players and then the manager is a bit alarming to me at least. Particular highlights were the call for Bailey to be taken off after 20 minutes, just before he scored his excellent goal; and the increasing talk of “disaster” as time went on. It’s a bit surprising that people hadn’t twigged that the Bournemouth game would be a tough one. Disaster is not where we are at, in fact I think we showed a lot of resilience in that match and could easily have won it with just a little more luck. 

The reactions thread is slightly different in that you expect people to reflect a bit more on the game and nobody is going to convince me that the overwhelming judgement of “poor” is a balanced appraisal. If, as I expect and hope, we make further progress in the Conference, the season will be increasingly tough for our players who will be playing a lot more football than many other teams, particularly the likes of Bournemouth. So, yes, other teams  are going to look sharper at times and Emery’s attempts to shuffle the squad to share the burden is going to lead to less than perfect team play on our part at times. But I think under Emery we have a good chance things will get better because he works so hard with the players and seems to have a clear plan about how to achieve improvement. 

Let me finish with that idea of improvement, which is what I think we have seen in spades.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Brumstopdogs said:

They do need to tighten up....opposition goal scorers have too much space, during their executions.....we have to get tighter.

conversely Ollie is clattered or out muscled, in order to disrupt him.....we need to take a leaf out of the oppositions book.

13 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Well I have watched the match now and wouldn’t change any of my comments in that post. 

I accept it was silly of me to expect to get a sensible view of how the match was going from the match thread because it is increasingly bonkers these days. It is very frustrating though if it is your only source of information. The speed and ease with which people start turning on the players and then the manager is a bit alarming to me at least. Particular highlights were the call for Bailey to be taken off after 20 minutes, just before he scored his excellent goal; and the increasing talk of “disaster” as time went on. It’s a bit surprising that people hadn’t twigged that the Bournemouth game would be a tough one. Disaster is not where we are at, in fact I think we showed a lot of resilience in that match and could easily have won it with just a little more luck. 

The reactions thread is slightly different in that you expect people to reflect a bit more on the game and nobody is going to convince me that the overwhelming judgement of “poor” is a balanced appraisal. If, as I expect and hope, we make further progress in the Conference, the season will be increasingly tough for our players who will be playing a lot more football than many other teams, particularly the likes of Bournemouth. So, yes, other teams  are going to look sharper at times and Emery’s attempts to shuffle the squad to share the burden is going to lead to less than perfect team play on our part at times. But I think under Emery we have a good chance things will get better because he works so hard with the players and seems to have a clear plan about how to achieve improvement. 

Let me finish with that idea of improvement, which is what I think we have seen in spades.

I Suspect you are commenting on stuff, I have not been privvy too....However, I am seeing elements of our play, I am less convinced about than others, mainly the ability to defend our goal.....suffice to say, some of the goals we have scored have been top drawer, and easily elite in quality.

I am not going to comment on fitness, because I have no idea of the effect on Players....I can only comment on what I see.....if they fail to close down, or offer the opposition too much space, or struggle to compete, I will notice it and comment on it.

If we get overrun by a team with players, pound for pound are lesser than ours(imo) I will be aware of it.....The reasons why, are much more nebulous.

After all these years of watching football, I don't comment on what, I don't know first hand.....I have no idea, if a player is carrying a knock, or is fatigued, I can only hazard a guess....It could be many factors...I try to stick to what I am more sure about.

I can only comment on a players performance, mitigation, is for the manager to deal with.....having said that, I don't agree with slagging them off either, due in the main from lack of information, and probably more importantly, it's not a gentlemanly thing to do.

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I Suspect you are commenting on stuff, I have not been privvy too....However, I am seeing elements of our play, I am less convinced about than others, mainly the ability to defend our goal.....suffice to say, some of the goals we have scored have been top drawer, and easily elite in quality.

I am not going to comment on fitness, because I have no idea of the effect on Players....I can only comment on what I see.....if they fail to close down, or offer the opposition too much space, or struggle to compete, I will notice it and comment on it.

If we get overrun by a team with players, pound for pound are lesser than ours(imo) I will be aware of it.....The reasons why, are much more nebulous.

After all these years of watching football, I don't comment on what, I don't know first hand.....I have no idea, if a player is carrying a knock, or is fatigued, I can only hazard a guess....It could be many factors...I try to stick to what I am more sure about.

I can only comment on a players performance, mitigation, is for the manager to deal with.....having said that, I don't agree with slagging them off either, due in the main from lack of information, and probably more importantly, it's not a gentlemanly thing to do.

I don’t think you need to speculate about fitness, Emery himself has said. Some players  “are tired or with small pain” so he is waiting until tomorrow morning to finalise the team. This surely has to be a factor in judging team performance. It’s pretty clear that McGinn for example is off the pace since he took that knock in the Scotland game and has been playing in every match for us.

However, I suspect the issue here may be we are looking at the same facts and drawing different conclusions. You have every right to focus on individual negative elements of our play because obviously there are some but I would prefer to focus on overall team performances and achievement and I think there is quite  a lot of material on that front to be dwelling on.

It's a racing certainty on paper and on history that we will lose to Man City tomorrow and I suppose that will lead to lots of hand-wringing and predictions of “disaster” so I think I shall be staying away from this site for a while.

17 hours ago, briny_ear said:

I don’t think you need to speculate about fitness, Emery himself has said. Some players  “are tired or with small pain” so he is waiting until tomorrow morning to finalise the team. This surely has to be a factor in judging team performance. It’s pretty clear that McGinn for example is off the pace since he took that knock in the Scotland game and has been playing in every match for us.

However, I suspect the issue here may be we are looking at the same facts and drawing different conclusions. You have every right to focus on individual negative elements of our play because obviously there are some but I would prefer to focus on overall team performances and achievement and I think there is quite  a lot of material on that front to be dwelling on.

It's a racing certainty on paper and on history that we will lose to Man City tomorrow and I suppose that will lead to lots of hand-wringing and predictions of “disaster” so I think I shall be staying away from this site for a while.

You could be right, on all those points.

...also, I could come on here and wax lyrical for hours on end, it would be easy in light of the turn around ( in many posts, I have).....and I guess the manager could too, at B6...but He chooses to try an improve, even more and drive the demand, as Dougie has pertinently said has improved him, dramatically.

If we can muster the intrinsic desire /industry/ workrate that the lower teams have raised against us, when taking points off a clearly superior team on paper(us).....then surely we can apply the same parallel against Man City and Arsenal.

I understand that some players are "tired or with small pain", but that is not exclusive to us....and I am not trying to be dismissive of it, but I am not looking for pre- arranged excuses either.

I will stick to what, I do.....comment on the game as I see it, and refrain from speculative mitigation, and leave that to the coaches who are privvy to it.

Edited by TRO

Â