• Ramsey (Zaniolo 45)
    • Durán (McGinn 65)
    • Cash (Konsa 74)
    • Moreno (Digne 74)
    • Diaby (Bailey 74)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/12/23 at 23:59

2 minutes ago, Lochheads twin said:

Emi Martinez a clear Villa man of the match. He cannot be happy playing behind that lopsided defence.

This is a real worry.  He will be off if we don't improve smartish.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

You are right, but why? 

It's essentially jury nullification.  The ref has decided that the first foul meets the bar for a yellow.  He knows the second does as well, especially in cases like Semenyo when the second foul was worse.  But for whatever reason, the ref doesn't think the two fouls are egregious enough for a player to be booted from the match.  That's simply against the letter of the rule.  

The only other option is that he knows the first yellow was completely erroneous. 

Not good alternatives for the system.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

… had the refreee not bottled the big decisions, then maybe it would have been different I suppose  but atrocious as he was , the performance  wasn’t on him 

Got out of jail with the point 

And the small decisions, too. Can’t believe all the shirt-pulling. Just ridiculous number of little efforts to impede play all gone unnoticed. 

Just now, Marka Ragnos said:

And the small decisions, too. Can’t believe all the shirt-pulling. Just ridiculous number of little efforts to impede play all gone unnoticed. 

The Watkins shot second half VAR looked at a potential hand ball … and in doing so decided to over look the defender trying to rip Watkins shirt off his back … the only option next time presumably is for Watkins to hit the deck there and not get the shot off 

• Like 1

Depth an issue as we thought. 

The loss of Kamara meant that we were less solid defensively in transition. Tielemans is not the answer there. 

Lack of RB means Konsa has to play there and it’s not instinctive nor do I love the Pau-Diego partnership. 

Ref shambolic. 

I don't think I've seen that ref before and I don't want to see him again.  Back to the lower leagues with you Thomas Bramall, absolutely awful.

Makes me hanker for the days of Mike Dean and Mark Halsey who were both utter ballsacks.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, est1874 said:

Entirely.

We are not Top 4 standard. Liverpool today unfortunately showed us what Top 4 quality looks like - you wrestle victory from the jaws of defeat at all costs. Newcastle will soon overlap us, we'll finish 5th, maybe 6th if Spurs rally and improve again.

With all due respect, this is much too harsh.

I would agree that a title challenge requires winning games like today. Making the top 4 is not quite as difficult.

We may not have wrestled victory from the jaws of defeat, but at least we wrestled a draw. If Duran hadn't hit the post, we might have had the victory.

The Newcastle team that you claim is going to overlap us lost to Bournemouth 2-0.

• Like 1

Bit of a funny one, this. Glad to have salvaged a point, especially considering how much Bournemouth were dominating the game and how they seem to be improving lately. The frustrating thing is that, yet again, we give away a stupid early goal that's completely avoidable and give the opposition something to at least hold onto, if not build upon.

It's slightly concerning how we seem completely incapable of keeping a clean sheet. It's fine when were banging in 3 or 4 at home, but in tight games away where you need to dig in a bit and grind it out, you can't be needing to score at least 2 every time to get the 3 points. It's a bit frustrating, as we got a *kind of* unexpected result at Spurs, so it would've been the icing on the cake to get a result here, especially with the 2 games we have coming up. It's likely that Spurs, Newcastle or United (possibly all 3) could overtake us.

All that said, it's hard to complain about the bigger picture. We're still in 4th, which is completely nuts. If we get anything at all out of City and Arsenal I'll be buzzing. I think it's a matter of getting through the Xmas period relatively unscathed and then kicking on afterwards.

9 minutes ago, TomC said:

With all due respect, this is much too harsh.

I would agree that a title challenge requires winning games like today. Making the top 4 is not quite as difficult.

We may not have wrestled victory from the jaws of defeat, but at least we wrestled a draw. If Duran hadn't hit the post, we might have had the victory.

The Newcastle team that you claim is going to overlap us lost to Bournemouth 2-0.

And also beat us 5-1.

Of course they're not going to win every game, but look at their current trajectory. They also might be out of the UCL soon if luck doesn't go their way which means their best players will be fitter to play harder in the league and they'll be a lot less likely to drop points to a Bournemouth again.

We're still going to drop a lot of points away from home, and I'd wager a lot more than them.