Match Thread: Nottm Forest v Villa

limpid

Just now, villa4europe said:

They spent so long looking at the offside they didn't bother looking at the forest player falling over with a slight breeze rather than being fouled...

Was never a penalty in the context of how this game has been reffed

As far as I can see the ref didn’t give be a pen. So IF it wasn’t offside I assume there’s still a decision to be made. 

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

Cash is just appalling. If we’re going to have our RB to be such a key part of our attack then we need a huge upgrade. All he does is cut back. Doesn’t try through balls, doesn’t take on his man, doesn’t cross it in. Shite. 

Yep, he's really poor. Tbf, when Traore is on the right, he is a different player as he's constantly putting him into dangerous areas. But he's so predictable right now and has been for months.

Arguably the worst we have played all season. Loads of possession but way too pedestrian. 

Zaniolo is a passenger again and I'd be looking to bring Bailey on for him at HT and get him to run at the forest back line as at the moment it is way too easy for them. 

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

They spent so long looking at the offside they didn't bother looking at the forest player falling over with a slight breeze rather than being fouled...

That’s the constant issue I have with refs. They’re told to let things go and they consistent give the softest pens in years upheld by VAR. 

• Like 1

Just now, Robtaylor200 said:

Rather see Diaby replaced , Zaniolo at least getting on the ball 

Diaby should have had an assist. Would Zaniolo have the composure and intelligence to make the right decision in key moments? And those key moments are going to be limited if that first half is anything to go by.

Not a great half, Forest are fired up and we are lubed up. It’s almost like the players have turned up expecting an easy win, a by product of winning easily I expect. For so much of that half we looked out of ideas, constantly turning back inside when they could have pushed forward. Digne is the only Villa player finding any space but Watkins and Diaby haven’t had much to go on. 

It’s only 1-0 so could all change, we saw how they collapsed against Luton so hopefully with some Emery tweaks and a kick up the ass, we can pull ourselves back into it. 

Oh and the ref has been atrocious, for both sides. 

Pau and Digne the only 2 to come out of that half with any credit. When teams are in our faces and press together well, we find it very difficult to put together any meaningful moves. Really frustrating half; you’d have to say Cooper has outwitted Emery so far.

2nd half we need to come out with a different attitude, we’ll be attacking the end where our fans are housed. This is a big chance to get into the top 4, hope the players play like it when they come back out!

• Like 1

Cash easily the worst player on the pitch. Completely out of position for their goal, doesn't stay out wide keeps trying to go inside when torres is looking for an out ball, checking back quite possibly 15 or more times and 1, yes 1 forward ball.

Pointless him being used more forwards if he can't and won't even try and he's been their quick turn over multiple times.

Either he holds and kamara and mginn slightly change so mcginns more on the right and kamara moves up to keep cash away from going forwards or I would consider taking cash off if he doesn't feel he can kick the ball and run past the 1 player within 20 yards of him.

We are playing terribly and when we aren't even making chances, we need to change things.

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

It looked to me like he clattered him from behind with no attempt at the ball, but as you say, would have been nice to see it again, think we only got one look at it, so happy to admit my view of it isn't right

Really flat from us, Luiz having a bit of a stinker and Zaniolo seeming to have lost his way bit - we're going to need a lot more second half.

Forest have been impressive, pacy up top and pressing us with their forwards very well, organised at the back and finding spaces with long balls down the side of us.

We've barely threatened - one effort of note from Zaniolo in the whole half.

Their goal was a combination of Zaniolo losing concentration because he'd just bee fouled twice and got nothing and Luiz waiting for Zaniolo to wake up and track his man rather than taking responsibility and closing the Forest player down.

Not often you get to say it, but Cooepr has done a job on Emery in that half.