Totally useless information/trivia

RunRickyRun

2 hours ago, choffer said:

Not sure how true (or how amazing for that matter) but possibly interesting....

tqc5aGW.jpg

OK, I'm dim. I have not the faintest idea what this is about. What am I supposed to be seeing in those highlighted circles? "Do you know why it is always traffic lights?" Eh? What is that question asking? 

unlimited-power.jpeg?auto=format,compres

Remember this poster? It's for a big movie or something. Lots of people like the poster, but they're wrong, it's shit. Anyway... There's something wrong with it.

Got it? No?

Something doesn't look quite right.

It's the Emperor in the background. Turns out it's not a photo of Ian McDiarmid as the Emperor that they've tinkered with.

It's a picture of a toy. This toy.

42510352_10155775414752344_4670848832152

And that actual picture of the toy.

Sure, it's a bloody realistic (and expensive) toy, but blimey... Surely Disney could afford to have someone take a photo of Ian McDiarmid in costume. Instead someone nicked a picture of a toy that was shared on Facebook by the toy company.

12 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

OK, I'm dim. I have not the faintest idea what this is about. What am I supposed to be seeing in those highlighted circles? "Do you know why it is always traffic lights?" Eh? What is that question asking? 

One of the common 'verify you're a human' processes online in the last couple of years has been to give you a series of pictures divided up into squares and ask you to identify the squares that contain some common thing you'd see while driving - traffic lights, bikes, various road signs, etc. Obviously this is being used to help improve AI for self driving cars.

This largely replaced the old 'what does this garbled text say' system they had, probably because teaching computers to drive is more profitable than teaching computers to transcribe scanned text more accurately.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

One of the common 'verify you're a human' processes online in the last couple of years has been to give you a series of pictures divided up into squares and ask you to identify the squares that contain some common thing you'd see while driving - traffic lights, bikes, various road signs, etc. Obviously this is being used to help improve AI for self driving cars.

This largely replaced the old 'what does this garbled text say' system they had, probably because teaching computers to drive is more profitable than teaching computers to transcribe scanned text more accurately.

Ah, thanks. Yes, I've seen those, and yes, it often is traffic lights. Makes sense now. 

3 hours ago, useless said:

Horses which live in an untamed state but have ancestors who have been domesticated are not true "wild" horses; they are feral horses. There are no known truly wild horses in existence today.

The last of 'em died off trying to drag Mick away...

• Like 2

18 hours ago, useless said:

Horses which live in an untamed state but have ancestors who have been domesticated are not true "wild" horses; they are feral horses. There are no known truly wild horses in existence today.

Also true of leprechauns.  Only captive ones are left.

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...

Kurt Russell's stunt double in the Escape from New York movie was named Dick Warlock.

Quite possibly the best name ever.

Bildresultat för dick warlock

He was also in about a million other movies.

On 18/10/2019 at 21:10, sne said:

Kurt Russell's stunt double in the Escape from New York movie was named Dick Warlock.

Quite possibly the best name ever.

Surprised, and slightly disappointed, that you seem to have neglected to consider Dick Tips in this evaluation:

u84poygxwredcchih4ws.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

Is that one of the parody fact type things?

I took it at face value but Your question prompted some research.  The electric toaster was apparently invented in 1906 so unless Roy is much older than he’s letting on, it would appear that the fact is not actually a fact.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

Is that one of the parody fact type things?

History of the toaster:

The first electric bread toaster was invented by Alan MacMasters in Edinburgh, Scotland in 1893.

In 1913, Lloyd Groff Copeman and his wife Hazel Berger Copeman applied for various toaster patents, and in that same year, the Copeman Electric Stove Company introduced a toaster with an automatic bread turner. Before this, electric toasters cooked bread on one side, meaning the bread needed to be flipped by hand in order to cook both sides. Copeman's toaster turned the bread around without having to touch it.

The automatic pop-up toaster, which ejects the toast after toasting it, was first patented by Charles Strite in 1921. In 1925, using a redesigned version of Strite's toaster, the Waters Genter Company introduced the Model 1-A-1 Toastmaster,[18] the first automatic, pop-up, household toaster that could brown bread on both sides simultaneously, set the heating element on a timer, and eject the toast when finished.

I suspect Roy Hodgson was not 46 around this time so yeah, probably is a parody fact! 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This years Sao Paulo Junior Cup, a tournament for u20 football teams in Brazil, featured 11 players named Juan Roman Riquelme; all specifically named after the Argentinian footballer

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

This years Sao Paulo Junior Cup, a tournament for u20 football teams in Brazil, featured 11 players named Juan Roman Riquelme; all specifically named after the Argentinian footballer

That’s incredible.

Â