Totally useless information/trivia

RunRickyRun

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

This years Sao Paulo Junior Cup, a tournament for u20 football teams in Brazil, featured 11 players named Juan Roman Riquelme; all specifically named after the Argentinian footballer

In a parallel universe there’s an u20’s tournament featuring 11 Gabby Agbonlahors. They weren’t named that way by fans... they are actually all his children. 

• Haha 4

Totally appropriate for " useless information"   .... I found out today that Rick Astley sang backing vocals on Elton Johns "can you feel the love tonight"

(along with Gary Barlow and Kiki Dee)

it might win you a point in a quiz one day , you can thank me later

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Cristian Ronaldo reportedly makes about £500,000 a week at Juventus. But he actually makes more money through his Instagram account than playing football. 

I must be the reaching "old man shouts at clouds" stage of life, because the wealth in football genuinely turns me off the game these days. It was bad enough in the 90s.

People used to talk about how unreasonable it was for footballers to be paid the average British salary in a week.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

I must be the reaching "old man shouts at clouds" stage of life, because the wealth in football genuinely turns me off the game these days. It was bad enough in the 90s.

People used to talk about how unreasonable it was for footballers to be paid the average British salary in a week.

Here's a piece of trivia I'd love to know...who was the last player to play top flight football (or for the Villa) whilst being on YTS? Pretty sure half the kids today couldn't even imagine playing for 20 odd quid a week and then having to clean the rest of the teams boots afterwards! :lol:

Any suggestions?

(Somewhere in the back of my head I want to say that I remember Steve Froggatt being on YTS when he made his debut, but I couldn't really be sure of that!)

6 minutes ago, WhatAboutTheFinish said:

Here's a piece of trivia I'd love to know...who was the last player to play top flight football (or for the Villa) whilst being on YTS? Pretty sure half the kids today couldn't even imagine playing for 20 odd quid a week and then having to clean the rest of the teams boots afterwards! :lol:

Any suggestions?

(Somewhere in the back of my head I want to say that I remember Steve Froggatt being on YTS when he made his debut, but I couldn't really be sure of that!)

YTS finished in 1989, Froggy made his debut in 1991 (aged 18?) so its just about in the realms of possibility, if he was, he'd have been the last

1 hour ago, WhatAboutTheFinish said:

Any suggestions?

I’m guessing it’s a revised version of the original one which as @bicks said ended in 1989 , but there is an article where Liam Rosenior talks about being on a YTS for Bristol City as a 17 year old  around 2002 , £45 a week and cleaning the changing room after first team matches etc 

guess there might be a few players who did similar  ?  

29 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I’m guessing it’s a revised version of the original one which as @bicks said ended in 1989 , but there is an article where Liam Rosenior talks about being on a YTS for Bristol City as a 17 year old  around 2002 , £45 a week and cleaning the changing room after first team matches etc 

guess there might be a few players who did similar  ?  

It was replaced by Youth Training, there were two types, one where the employer chose you because they wanted to employ you and the other where they essentially did the training on behalf of the government with no promise of a job at the end. If you were on the former it was possible for the company to top your wages up over the government paid allowance. I don't think the top up thing was possible under the YTS. Footballers would clearly have come under the first one so I'm guessing thats where some clubs may have started to pay more (at the top clubs anyway)

• Thanks 1

It's the 33rd day of the year and there are 333 days left.

Which is cool because it also falls on the first global palindrome date for 909 years. The next one is a hundred odd years away, the one after that about a thousand.

Totally useless information in a nutshell.

• Like 1

And to add the numbers...

02/02/2020 — the only one of its kind this century: The previous eight-digit palindrome like this was 11/11/1111, 909 years ago. We’ll only have to wait another 101 years for 12/12/2121

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

Another bit of random gaming nonsense.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (OoT) is considered one of, if not the, greatest games of all time. Released in 1998 it's become of those 'defining' titles, a must play. It's also quite a big game, about 40 hours for a 100% completion.

As it's so well regarded and so long, it's quickly become a favourite of the 'speed run' community, a subset of gamers that compete to set records finishing various games in various contexts as quickly as possible. The most common contexts are 100% and Any% completion - that is to either achieve 100% completion, or just reaching the end credits. OoT, then, 30, 40 hours for an average player? The record will be, ooh... 25 hours say? Knowing exactly what to do and where to go and knowing the game inside out will save a few hours, surely?

Nope.

100% record? Sub 4 hours. Any% record? Sub 10 minutes.

How? Well the speed run community makes extensive use of glitches and exploits, and particularly the Any% will often make significant use of them. In OoT, it's recently been discovered that a technique called Arbitrary Code Execution works. This a known thing in the world of IT security but in games is a bit more of cool 'toy' when it's discovered. Basically, it's possible to manipulate the games' code as you play it, and therefore if you can work out the code you can effectively break the game by doing specific things at specific times. Hence the sub 10min time - someone worked out that at the start of the game if you do a set of movements precisely, with your save file named in a particular way, will cause the game to jump directly to the end credits. Most of the time is spent in unskippable cutscenes.

But, if you've got too much time on your hands, you too can now 'finish' the best game ever made in 10 minutes with barely any gameplay at all. For the bragging rights, you know?

I'd recommend a YouTube channel called Summoning Salt for people interested in speed running

He makes mini documentaries about the history of speedrunning records in various games. Sounds dull but they're really interesting.

He himself is a Mike Tyson's Knockout speedrunner so a lot of his early videos are speedruns of that.

• Like 1

Back in the days of the Atari console   , there was a Superman game where  there were 2 bugs . one where you could stop the bridge from exploding thus capture the gang quickly and another involving the select button where you could end the game in seconds   ...  no idea how we discovered it as it was  pre -internet so probably something that got passed around via word of mouth  like the Marc Almond story :)

killed the game of course but i guess it would be a precursor Arbitrary Code Execution  ?

• 2 weeks later...

What do the following countries have in common?

Bahamas
Bahrain
Comoros
Kiribati
Kuwait
Maldives
Malta
Marshall Islands
Monaco
Nauru
Oman
Qatar
Saudi Arabia
Tonga
Tuvalu
UAE
Vatican City
Yemen

Spoiler

Don't be silly

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

What is the following a list of?

Bahamas
Bahrain
Comoros
Kiribati
Kuwait
Maldives
Malta
Marshall Islands
Monaco
Nauru
Oman
Qatar
Saudi Arabia
Tonga
Tuvalu
UAE
Vatican City
Yemen

Hide contents

Don't be silly

Countries in which @tonyh29 has asked to be pegged by a courgette, but roundly refused.

• Haha 2

Â