Totally useless information/trivia

RunRickyRun

On 15/03/2019 at 19:16, Shropshire Lad said:

Only found out yesterday that there’s a statue of Peter Falk as Columbo in Budapest. And Columbo’s dog. 

6DD579D2-656D-406F-A4B2-C51B9462F64D.jpeg

Missed this post 

yep it’s at the end of the number 2 tram line on Falk Miska Street   , the word is he was part Hungarian related to Miska Falk .. see what they did there 

Been there a good few years I’ve got a picture of it on my phone dated 2014 

• Like 2

Just now, tonyh29 said:

Missed this post 

yep it’s at the end of the number 2 tram line on Falk Miska Street   , the word is he was part Hungarian related to Miska Falk .. see what they did there 

Been there a good few years I’ve got a picture of it on my phone dated 2014 

I’m kinda gutted as I was in Budapest for stag do that I’d organised in 2014 and either it hadn’t been unveiled or we just didn’t know about it. Would have definitely been on the to do list.

Wonderfully “random” as the kids may or may not say.

1 minute ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I’m kinda gutted as I was in Budapest for stag do that I’d organised in 2014 and either it hadn’t been unveiled or we just didn’t know about it. Would have definitely been on the to do list.

It’s not really near the bar areas but if you went to Margaret island or Nyugat railway station then you were within spitting distance of it 

1 hour ago, bickster said:

14 is neither a place nor an insult. It's just descriptive of a state of inebriation

No-one calls someone a bladdered

I thought that one looked a little odd.

32 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

mesmerising

😍

This wont be my first Hans Rosling related post. He's the chap from the BBC documentary Don't Panic that I'll have gone on about in the documentary thread at some point and sadly died from pancreatic cancer a while back. Part of his legacy is the Gapminder Foundation set up with his son. They like making all their tools accessible to the public. Not only is that graphic amazing and helped by a massive data set (like what the hell else has actually been recorded over such a length of time) but built on one of their programmes/tools which means a little part of that was brought to you by a really cool dead Swedish chap. And that warmed my heart a little.

• Like 2

Coffee is, unlike what many believe, not diuretic (Hope that's the right word. Googled it). The thought that it is comes from a not so scientific test from the early 1900's where five persons had coffee and then had to go and pee, but they never thought about how much they had drunk before that. Later tests shows that coffee isn't. Almost the same goes for beer and alcohol. There's no test made, but the belief comes from many needing to pee a lot when they drink beer, but not really thinking about how many beers they've already had. All this according to a professor at Lund's University.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

As is the Frank Zappa bust in Vilnius, Lithuania. In the middle of a residential area. 

frank-zappa-in-vilnius-monument-in-sprin

• Like 1

20 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

mesmerising

Fantastic graphic, but there are always varying definitions on how to measure a city size. How far do the city limits go. 

A quick google gives Chongqing the title of the largest city as well. 

3 hours ago, Pelle said:

Coffee is, unlike what many believe, not diuretic (Hope that's the right word. Googled it). The thought that it is comes from a not so scientific test from the early 1900's where five persons had coffee and then had to go and pee, but they never thought about how much they had drunk before that. Later tests shows that coffee isn't. Almost the same goes for beer and alcohol. There's no test made, but the belief comes from many needing to pee a lot when they drink beer, but not really thinking about how many beers they've already had. All this according to a professor at Lund's University.

I beg to differ. I can drink water, tea, wine, beer, etc., and have no huge need to piss until I've drunk a considerable quantity - let's say three or four pints of beer. But one cup of coffee, and I'm busting within 5-10 minutes. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I beg to differ. I can drink water, tea, wine, beer, etc., and have no huge need to piss until I've drunk a considerable quantity - let's say three or four pints of beer. But one cup of coffee, and I'm busting within 5-10 minutes. 

I thought someone would object. :) Again, it's said by a professor at one of Sweden's two biggest universities and he said that it just isn't true. Make of that what you want. :)

6 hours ago, Xela said:

Fantastic graphic, but there are always varying definitions on how to measure a city size. How far do the city limits go. 

A quick google gives Chongqing the title of the largest city as well. 

Absolutely. There's no internationally agreed standard definition. There's not even really an agreed definition here, just look at how Manchester is carved up, but the definition of "Tokyo" is very loose. The city proper is enormous, about 10m people according to the UN but the 38m region is just a region like "the south east" might be here. 

rE3x10l.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pelle said:

I thought someone would object. :) Again, it's said by a professor at one of Sweden's two biggest universities and he said that it just isn't true. Make of that what you want. :)

I have no trouble believing that a Swede would be an expert on piss!😉

• Haha 1

On 23/03/2019 at 00:04, mjmooney said:

That's beers for me. I have often wondered if there's something wrong with me, as 2-3 pints makes me piss 2-3 liters. Coffee on the other hand I can drink a gallon of and never even needing a single piss. 

• 3 weeks later...

The name of the bird the 'wheatear' is nothing to do with wheat or ears. It was traditionally known as the 'whitearse' until prudish Victorians took offense and modified it to something more seemly (if less sensible). 

• Like 2

On 10/04/2019 at 09:54, mjmooney said:

The name of the bird the 'wheatear' is nothing to do with wheat or ears. It was traditionally known as the 'whitearse' until prudish Victorians took offense and modified it to something more seemly (if less sensible). 

And now it's something that pisses me off that shouldn't, because the word spelt properly still looks spelt wrong.

• Like 1

Â