Ratings & Reactions: UECL: Villa v Zrinjski Mostar

limpid

Match Polls  

193 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/10/23 at 22:59

To quote myself from halftime in the match thread...

We're not as bad as some are saying. (Not to say that we've been brilliant.) It's just how these matches go. I remember watching lower Serie A teams stifle the great AC Milan teams like this. Be patient and wait for a breakthrough; we'll win 1-0. We're absolutely dominating possession and Zrinjski is not as talented as Legia to play on the break. We'll be fine.

Like I said.

We did everything right in the second half but finish. Zrinjski were heroic in their defending and Maric was outstanding for them in goal. Credit to them. We were patient and did not relent. Credit to us.

We should have had a breakthrough earlier with a penalty for that blatant series of three back-to-back shirt pulls on Zaniolo.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

How hard was that? Emery not learning from the first game. He needs to know the B team is not upto this. Didn't think it would happen but well done SJM.

It’s all well and good to say this but we can’t rely on only 11 players all season. You’ve got to give others a go in the hope that they build confidence over time which hopefully tonight will do. The alternative is that we burn out in both the league and cups around march.

Fwiw, I thought lenglet, Carlos, tielemans, bailey were all ok today 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Khizzy said:

I think today was less about us being poor but the opposition defending as if their lives depended on the game. Fortunately for us we did manage to breach their defence and get the goal just in the nick of time. 

no, first half we were poor. no endevour whatsoever. 2nd half, totally agree with you.

5 minutes ago, ender4 said:

McGinn - 10/10

Tielemans - 0/10 - I’d drive him back to Leicester myself and throw him in the Walkers canal.

First half - 0/10

Second half - 7/10

Bertie 10/10 played in Cash for our winning goal. 

1 minute ago, HKP90 said:

Honourable mention to the ref who I thought was easily the best I've seen in ages.

He was right about the pen, and never really put a foot wrong.

I thought he was bizarre. Not bad, just bizarre. Their play acting played into his hands. He gives us a pen that's never a pen, then we don't get the ball back. Then doesn't give a pen for the most blatant shirt pull I've ever seen.

• Like 2

Shit first half. Couldnt complain at all about the second half with the players at our disposal. Reminded me of the old school attack the holte end second half and get it in the box and shoot on sight from 20 years ago. We won

All that matters

And everyone on 3 points so its a 2 game mini tournament now 

3 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

flippin eck that was hard work...i actually feel for their back 9. the rest of the team were poor but that defence didn't deserve to lose that game. they'll be heartbroken

oh well

FTFY ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, TomC said:

We did everything right in the second half but finish. Zrinjski were heroic in their defending and Maric was outstanding for them in goal. Credit to them. We were patient and did not relent. Credit to us.

We should have had a breakthrough earlier with a penalty for that blatant series of three back-to-back shirt pulls on Zaniolo.

I know nothing about how the game went, so thanks for this, TomC. It's worth scrolling past the ridiculous, scathing hyperbole for something measured and informative.