ender4

I can't imagine Everton will take this will take this seriously given they are a very poor team at risk of relegation, even if they do want to maintain momentum from the weekend. 

We should win this at home even with a weakened team. 

I think he will go with a very similar team to the Warsaw game regardless of the result last week. Unai said after that we will rely on these (fringe) players during the season and the only way to get them fit and keep them fit was to give them games and not just 10 mins here and there.

So I fully expect to see Olsen, Chambers, Lenglet, Tielemans and Duran start. 

11 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

I think he will go with a very similar team to the Warsaw game regardless of the result last week. Unai said after that we will rely on these (fringe) players during the season and the only way to get them fit and keep them fit was to give them games and not just 10 mins here and there.

So I fully expect to see Olsen, Chambers, Lenglet, Tielemans and Duran start. 

And Dendoncker, Ramsey and Bailey.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tomav84 said:

put it this way. what's easier (based on the teams left in the competition): winning the carabao cup? or finishing 6th? i'd strongly argue the former is easier, but the outcome is the same (european qualification). coupled with the fact that an entire generation of villa fans have not seen us win a trophy and are sick of seeing manager after manager treating the two domestic cups with contempt. we're not too big for the carabao cup. i'd **** love to get some silverware and i finally feel like we have a manager and a squad to do it. it's also the one thing that shower of shite down the road have over us too and they'd absolutely hate it to happen.

i honestly wouldn't mind losing saturday as long as we take tonight seriously. get through it, and there are plenty of easier teams that we can get drawn against.

please, please, please unai...i freaking love you man, but don't play a weakened team tonight. emi in goal, diaby and zaniolo in attack, konsa cash and pau at the back.

rest a CM or 2 if you really need to...we've at least got decent cover there. duran for watkins possibly. but that's it.

Very much this.

Win 5 or 6 games in the cup and secure European qualification the 'easy' way or get involved in a 38 game slog with ultimately a similar reward. (I don't think we show enough consistency to be genuine Champions League qualification contenders).

Go for silverware, and the momentum gained from good cup runs will help maintain a push in the league. Sick and tired of successive managers mugging supporters off with needless rotations. Everton, for all their current woes, are a better team IMO than Legia Warsaw - if we go for a similar defensive set up to last week then expect the same shitshow.

41 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Good omen playing Everton, I remember knocking them out at this stage when we went on to win it in 77.

Come on me Babbys!

That must have been a hell of a trick by Everton - losing to us in the 3rd round and in the final too ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I can see both sides, I really want us to win and to take the league cup seriously as I’m desperate to see us win a trophy. It’s been way too long. But I also see the point in playing fringe players as we’re going to need them and need them to hit some kind of form. They won’t do that coming off the bench for 10 minutes here and there. Part of me thinks that those players that let us down in Warsaw will be so determined to repair that performance that they’d be much better tonight. It’s a different proposition, but we also don’t know how strong Everton will go and us playing a weakened team could backfire.

I think I’d go somewhere in the middle with a team like

Martinez

Cash      Konsa     Lenglet     Digne

Tielemans      Dendonker    Kamara 

Bailey          Watkins     Zaniolo

If we’re easily winning (I don’t think we will be) then I’d bring the likes of Emi, Konsa and Watkins off. 

29 minutes ago, ender4 said:

I agree.   Though it didn't work when we brought on the strong bench against Legia. We had already mentally lost by then.

Very different situation. I think the players had a case of European first night nerves, and were a little shellshocked by the atmosphere in Warsaw. Everton at Villa Park is a rather different scenario. 

1 hour ago, Dillon66 said:

That must have been a hell of a trick by Everton - losing to us in the 3rd round and in the final too ?

My days, how did I manage that? I've surpassed myself in terms of stupidity, you couldn't make it up.

Must have been 75, I hope.

Edited by sheepyvillian