ender4

26 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I absolutely agree with you it is.

My rationale behind it is keeping one eye on the tough game at the weekend against Brighton whilst keeping as many of our strongest legs as fresh as possible for that game.

It's no disrespect to the cup either, it just so happens we also have a tough game on Thursday in ECL too, so alot of games in quick succession.

That being said, it gives these other players a chance to show what they can do and the whole squad rotation thingy. We should be able to count on them to put in a performance whenever called upon. (Wishful thinking).

If that plan doesn't work out then throw on some of the big guns to ensure we get the result. :D

(Either that or we start with a strong team to try and see the game off quickly, then bring on all the fringe players once the job is done?)

I'd prefer to start with the strong team. See Legia.

• Like 1

There are a few changes that should be nailed on.

Olsen in goal, Lenglet and Chambers at the back, Dendonker and Tielemans in the middle. Ramsey, Bailey and Duran as the forward 3. 

I think with those changes, regardless of what Everton put out, will mean we are still good enough to win. A midfield pairing of Dendonker and Tielemans would have played together for Belgium a number of times at a time when Belgium were ranked the best side in the world and Ramsey/Bailey/Duran will cause any team problems. 

13 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I get that, I think we might well though, Emery tends to persist. 

I think he had a bad game against Warsaw, I don't think he'll ever be a great right back, but I think he's a bit better than that showing.

I think the game will be decided by what sort of team Everton play - I think if Dyche goes full strength to try to kick start the season, then we'll be in trouble.

Konsa is better at RB and Chambers is better in the centre so I really don’t get the selection if he wants to play Chambers.

Edited by striker
  • Like 1

Just now, striker said:

Konsa is better at RB and Chambers is better in the centre so I really don’t get the selection?

I'm not sure I agree - I think Konsa is better in both positions (and I think you'd agree) - but he's a better CB than right back by a distance and I think we gain more overall by having him in his natural position even it means we're slightly weaker at right back.

I also think Chambers is a better right back than CB (and I think you'd disagree), he's not really been a CB for years, if anything here he's played mostly right back and a little bit of midfield for us. I don't know if he was predominantly a centre back for Arsenal, but I don't think he has been here.

4 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think we'll start with a very changed team, and if Everton do too, then we may well win.

I think if Everton start with a stronger team we'll lose.

I don't think the club will be too upset to write this competition off.

I have a feeling we'll see a Legia style team, with poss Kadan and Kellyman involved. If Everton go full strength then we'll need a radically different performance from Legia. There's some plus points to playing fringe and kids, but only really if there's going to be other games where they can play. Go out of this comp early and we lose a good opportunity for them to play...

put it this way. what's easier (based on the teams left in the competition): winning the carabao cup? or finishing 6th? i'd strongly argue the former is easier, but the outcome is the same (european qualification). coupled with the fact that an entire generation of villa fans have not seen us win a trophy and are sick of seeing manager after manager treating the two domestic cups with contempt. we're not too big for the carabao cup. i'd **** love to get some silverware and i finally feel like we have a manager and a squad to do it. it's also the one thing that shower of shite down the road have over us too and they'd absolutely hate it to happen.

i honestly wouldn't mind losing saturday as long as we take tonight seriously. get through it, and there are plenty of easier teams that we can get drawn against.

please, please, please unai...i freaking love you man, but don't play a weakened team tonight. emi in goal, diaby and zaniolo in attack, konsa cash and pau at the back.

rest a CM or 2 if you really need to...we've at least got decent cover there. duran for watkins possibly. but that's it.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

put it this way. what's easier (based on the teams left in the competition): winning the carabao cup? or finishing 6th? i'd strongly argue the former is easier, but the outcome is the same (european qualification). coupled with the fact that an entire generation of villa fans have not seen us win a trophy and are sick of seeing manager after manager treating the two domestic cups with contempt. we're not too big for the carabao cup. i'd **** love to get some silverware and i finally feel like we have a manager and a squad to do it. it's also the one thing that shower of shite down the road have over us too and they'd absolutely hate it to happen.

i honestly wouldn't mind losing saturday as long as we take tonight seriously. get through it, and there are plenty of easier teams that we can get drawn against.

please, please, please unai...i freaking love you man, but don't play a weakened team tonight. emi in goal, diaby and zaniolo in attack, konsa cash and pau at the back.

rest a CM or 2 if you really need to...we've at least got decent cover there. duran for watkins possibly. but that's it.

Winning the League Cup gets you into the Europa Conference, finishing 6th gets you into the Europa League.  Big difference.

I'm not sure Everton will be that arsed themselves. Staying up is obviously their priority and I'm not sure how much they fancy their chances of having a go at trying to win something this season. They were fortunate to get past a lowly Doncaster in the last round.

It's actually quite a nice round of fixtures for Villa. Get through and you're already in the last 16, and with other games including the likes of City-Newcastle, Arsenal-Brentford, Chelsea-Brighton etc happening there'll be a few potentially tricky teams already out of the running.

7 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Winning the League Cup gets you into the Europa Conference, finishing 6th gets you into the Europa League.  Big difference.

officially only 5th and the fa cup winner gets europa league. it's just normally 6th because a big team always wins the fa cup

Just now, tomav84 said:

officially only 5th and the fa cup winner gets europa league. it's just normally 6th because a big team always wins the fa cup

England will more than likely get that 5th CL spot, so 6th will get that 5th EL spot.

Just now, duke313 said:

England will more than likely get that 5th CL spot, so 6th will get that 5th EL spot.

fine, but i'd still rather win a trophy and qualify for conference league again than finish 6th and get europa league

you play this game to win things...it's about time we did

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I’d be taking this competition very serious.

I think the club will have it fourth on their list of priorities - the league will obviously be first, the conference league represents a chance for European exposure and perhaps our simplest route to the Europa league, and then the FA Cup has the reputation and the Europa League as a prize also - we've (hopefully) got a lot of games to play this season and I'm not sure we'll be giving this competition everything we've got.