Ratings & Reactions: Newcastle v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

187 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 14/08/23 at 22:59

Absolutely embarassing performance.

Zero optmism now for this season. Our defence is atrocious without Mings. Watkins & Bailey continue to be dog turd. Shocking line up I felt from Emery. 

Another dreadful start to the season.

We need replacements fast now for Mings & Buendia else we're in trouble. Why on Earth does our season always start like this?! Pathetic form & season ending injuries... Every year!! It's infuriating.

Dreading Everton now.

3 hours ago, romavillan said:

Wouldn't be VT without the bed wetting over reactions. We'll be fine, we never win at St James' Park, we showed some really good football at times going forward. We've had some shit luck with injuries and VAR decisions (for 2-1 especially, then missed two sitters so could have been in front) against us.

No need to get hysterical, we'll get it right soon enough.

Wouldn’t be VT without one or two people characterising perfectly understandable reactions to a terrible performance and the awful injury to Mings as “bed wetting”. Why do this? It’s almost like posting for effect.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 1

One thing I think has been apparent since prior to Emery's time and hasn't been addressed by any of his signings is that we're miles off our competitors in a physical sense. Big fan of all of the three signings this window but still and all I feel like it's so apparent when we compare the squad to Newcastle, City, Arsenal etc that as well as being good technical players across the squad also these teams are bigger, stronger, faster etc than ours and it'll show. There were times where it was competitive today and could have gone differently dependent on certain chances but ultimately they were just bullied out there.

42 minutes ago, Indigo said:

One thing I think has been apparent since prior to Emery's time and hasn't been addressed by any of his signings is that we're miles off our competitors in a physical sense. Big fan of all of the three signings this window but still and all I feel like it's so apparent when we compare the squad to Newcastle, City, Arsenal etc that as well as being good technical players across the squad also these teams are bigger, stronger, faster etc than ours and it'll show. There were times where it was competitive today and could have gone differently dependent on certain chances but ultimately they were just bullied out there.

Yeah it's a big part of the game. I don't think we lack the fight particularly though - size yes, absolutely. Yesterday was obviously a very bad game from us in a number of areas.

Newcastle are very basic IMO. Stoke on steroids basically. It works incredibly well. And 100% it's the quickest way to go from bottom half to top half. 200% even.

Fair play to them for realising referees are too incompetent to officiate. No surprise with Dan Ashworth at the helm.

City are probably good enough to hold them off for now, but they'll be in trouble once Newcastle move towards more proper footballers in the side, which of course they will with their unlimited funds from the murdering government's oil pot.

• Like 1

We won't go to many tougher places than St James Park this season. They were always going to be for it after last season and their first season in the CL for 20 years. 

They were better and deserved the win, however we were well in the match for most of the game, and without unforced errors, terrible finishing, and some iffy referring decisions it could have been a different story.

What's more concerning is the Mings injury which looks a bad one. Add that to Buendia, as well as Moreno and Ramsey and we have 4 starting 11 players on the sidelines. All by the opening day of the season which would be a huge blow to any team in the league. 

Everton and Burnley next which is a good opportunity to bounce back but we will need a vast improvement on yesterday's performance. 

Edited by Hiney
  • Like 1

I'm so so surprised he went with both full backs today. Chuck in McGinn out of position, and Bailey playing in a position that needs to be active and receive the ball from defence (and obviously not doing it), and it was a real mess.

Don't think we played that way all pre-season, with two regulation full backs. Such a strange decision. The Buendia injury must have really riled us behind the scenes. Still incredibly surprising that we fundamentally changed what we've been practicing in the fairly competitive friendlies.

Clearly Buendia would have started and him and McGinn would have played in roles that suits us better in this system. Chuck in Ollie being ill (?) and it was a right stinker to kick off.

I really really hope Unai's given the assistance his ability deserves in the transfer market.

Haven’t read the thread but Newcastle away first game of the season is a tough game for any premier league team. 50k football starved geordies amping up their team is tough for anyone. And Newcastle have a much better team these days.

You’d really want to be going to St James off the back off a couple of league wins.

That being said, looks to of highlighted the problem areas within the squad. Hopefully we’ll see 3 to 4 new players coming in. It’s a lot but now Mings/Emi are out we are already dipping into our squad depth.

This season may develop into one where we prioritize cups over the league.

Win conference and you get into europe anyways.

I'd be very happy finishing 12th-13th and win the conference.

Now I've had the night to think this over I think the fault came from us not pressing high enough at the top, vital to the way you have to play with a high line.

I think emis absence played a massive part as did replacing him with Bailey, who simply did not put any pressure on the opposition defence. 

The problems simply spiraled from there.

9 hours ago, John said:

Tough place to go, particularly on the first game of the season. Awful mistake from Ezri and our defence that had looked so solid last season, didn't today, that said, I will be interested to see how those VAR lines look for a couple of their goals. We had a couple of decent chances to make the score look a bit more respectable, but they had the better of the game by some distance (as we did at Villa Park last season), in this case, after we lost the rock of our defence. Things can only get better than this and they will, but what a week this has been for us. First we lose Emi and now Tyrone, to what looks like another very bad injury. We don't deserve this sort of bad luck and these injuries will be so devastating for these two players. We can put this result behind us, with a couple of good performances, but these injuries are different. Get well soon Tyrone, you will be much missed. Hopefully both players will make a good recovery and be back for our final push, this season. 🤞   

I’m adamant that Barnes was offside prior to him assisting the Wilson goal. Cannot understand how VAR got that one wrong.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Fair play to them for realising referees are too incompetent to officiate. No surprise with Dan Ashworth at the helm

You know there maybe a lot to be said for this as a tactic.

Obviously as a team to take advantage of this you need to be a member of the sly scum 6  and everyone's second favourite club the "head choppers".....

17 minutes ago, maltesemike said:

I’m adamant that Barnes was offside prior to him assisting the Wilson goal. Cannot understand how VAR got that one wrong.

I give up, There 2nd one looks so called clear and obvious without the need to draw there pretty little lines, just the 3 players appearing offside

I **** give up trying to define what's offside anymore, Games gone to **** 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Indigo said:

But we bullied Newcastle all over Villa Park just a couple of months ago?

We are fine just rocked by 2 team mates suffering the worst injuries 😢   it has rocked the team.

This week The Don will build them back up to smash Everton.

33 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Now I've had the night to think this over I think the fault came from us not pressing high enough at the top, vital to the way you have to play with a high line.

I think emis absence played a massive part as did replacing him with Bailey, who simply did not put any pressure on the opposition defence. 

The problems simply spiraled from there.

Bailey was a problem. So was McGinn. Lack of Moreno hurt us. But I feel like if we play against Crystal Palace or Everton or Fulham we still win this game.

The problem was Newcastle middle was really solid. It was I credible how quickly Tonali has fit in, him Bruno and Joelinton really worked as a unit. 

I feel like with this performance they could beat anyone (or we shall see as they have the most difficult fixture next week). 

They were also out for revenge for what we did to them the last time. 

• Like 1