Ratings & Reactions: Newcastle v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

187 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 14/08/23 at 22:59

25 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

I don’t understand how those offside decisions were not given taking into account VAR

We're never going to get decisions against someone like Newcastle now as they're one of the Favoured Clubs. VAR is corrupt but we all knew that anyway.

• Like 1

Just wanted to say full respect to the Newcastle fans who stood and applauded as Mings was carried off. 

As to the injury and the drubbing, yes it is bad, but we WILL come back from this. Have no doubt.

• Like 1

Just now, TheStagMan said:

Just wanted to say full respect to the Newcastle fans who stood and applauded as Mings was carried off. 

As to the injury and the drubbing, yes it is bad, but we WILL come back from this. Have no doubt.

Would they have applauded if they were a goal down?

30 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Newcastle will do the same to a lot of sides.

As much as it pains me to say it they have developed into a top side.

They only lost twice at home last season, and gave out some beatings to some decent sides: beat Brentford 5-1, Spurs 6-1, Brighton 4-1, us 4-0 and also stuck 3 past Man City in a draw.

Weirdly they scored less against the poorer teams like Leeds, Wolves, Leicester etc.

Maybe they just really raise their game in certain situations?

2 minutes ago, andym said:

They only lost twice at home last season, and gave out some beatings to some decent sides: beat Brentford 5-1, Spurs 6-1, Brighton 4-1, us 4-0 and also stuck 3 past Man City in a draw.

Weirdly they scored less against the poorer teams like Leeds, Wolves, Leicester etc.

Maybe they just really raise their game in certain situations?

I don't think they raise their game but their strength are pace on the break.

Relegation fighting side will often stay deep and give them less space.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, TheFish said:

Anyone who still thinks there is some kind of conspiracy against their team needs to grow up, in my opinion. The rules of the Premier League have been changed 3 times already to slow Newcastle's ascent, which is fine and fair enough, why would they then also do all they can to help us in the opening game of the season against Aston Villa?

Rather than conspiracy, look instead for incompetence.

Which are these?

2 hours ago, BOF said:

It's amazing how, in the space of 2 days, my appetite for the season has gone from 100 to 0. The Buendia injury followed by the Mings injury and then the result to compound both of them has completely sucked the joy out of this season for me already. I'm sure it'll come back. It always does. But right now to hell with it.

That's exactly how I feel too.

• Sad 2

31 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Which are these?

If sponsors are not independent, the deal has to be assessed to make sure it's fair market value. (don't care really, just wish it was applied to everyone)

Transfers between us and the Saudi owned Saudi clubs have to be assessed to make sure it's fair market value. (Not sure Fabinho, Neves and Henderson moved for 'fair market value', but again, don't really care.)

Only one person allowed in the technical area at any one time. (definitely brought in because Tindall drew attention for doing the thing that loads of assistant managers do, it's all a bit silly)

14 minutes ago, TheFish said:

If sponsors are not independent, the deal has to be assessed to make sure it's fair market value. (don't care really, just wish it was applied to everyone)

Transfers between us and the Saudi owned Saudi clubs have to be assessed to make sure it's fair market value. (Not sure Fabinho, Neves and Henderson moved for 'fair market value', but again, don't really care.)

Only one person allowed in the technical area at any one time. (definitely brought in because Tindall drew attention for doing the thing that loads of assistant managers do, it's all a bit silly)

To be fair, your ownership should never have been allowed to happen and they seem fair rules to me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheFish said:

Anyone who still thinks there is some kind of conspiracy against their team needs to grow up, in my opinion. The rules of the Premier League have been changed 3 times already to slow Newcastle's ascent, which is fine and fair enough, why would they then also do all they can to help us in the opening game of the season against Aston Villa?

Rather than conspiracy, look instead for incompetence.

You are totally subjective...try objectivity. Why was ownership even allowed, ask yourself. It's money...

If Villa had scored those two goals (the first and second) they would have been reviewed and cancelled. 

And by the way it isn't necessarily a conspiracy against Villa but favouritism towards your dirty club.

Man U lost 7-0 to Liverpool last season then they won the next game

These things happen.

Way too early to start panicking 

Edited by Pinebro
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Man U lost 7-0 to Liverpool last season then they won the next game

These things happen.

Way too early to start panicking 

Exactly. You panic over prolonged patterns, not outliers.

4 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

Exactly. You panic over prolonged patterns, not outliers.

Matty Cash misses an open goal.

Konsa gifts Isak, though it was a brilliant finish I must add.

Thing is, moments changes games and the Konsa one was at a critical point in the game.

I don't like thehow the team reacted after 3-1 though. 

Fergie is right, the first half was very competitive. We conceded early away from home to a top team, always a setback and it can happen. We then got back into it and 1-1. We conceded a set piece goal from very fine offside lines. It was blow for blow. We lose a key player in Mings which is a huge setback. Then Konsa makes an error leading to their 3rd goal. Even then I felt if Mings was playing he would have been back to head away the Isak chip but Torres was late where Mings is always there. Then we have a big chance to go 3-2 down and Cash misses it.

At 65 mins we are on xG of 1.54 and they are on 1.81 it means both teams having chances. After we were 2-1 down we had Mings injury and then Konsa's error to be 3-1 down and missed the Watkin & Cash chances to get to 3-2 down. We unravel after they then get their 4th. 

If it wasn't for the Mings injury the game would have gone different. We were doing well and in the game. You need luck in games. Emery has no blame here in my view. We played well. The issue going forward is the loss of Mings and the impact losing our defensive rock can have. We need to be patient as we try get a new defensive partnership working. Torres/Konsa isn't the right combinationv as we need one of Mings/Carlos for their physicality. 

I think Everton, Hearts, Burnley, Hearts is a run of games to play the same back 4 in all those games to give them time together. Test it our away to Liverpool then we have an international break where only Cash from our back 4 will get called up. 

Also Watkins misses a great chance to make it 2-2 when Villa were getting a foothold in the game...

Going into the game without Ramsey, Buendia and Moreno hurt us.

Even just having Moreno would have helped so much as he's better than Trippier and destroyed him at Villa Park.

On further reflection looking at the stats for the game confirms it was pretty even, Villa missed a few chances and losing Mings was pivotal.

1 minute ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Also Watkins misses a great chance to make it 2-2 when Villa were getting a foothold in the game...

Going into the game without Ramsey, Buendia and Moreno hurt us.

Even just having Moreno would have helped so much as he's better than Trippier and destroyed him at Villa Park.

On further reflection looking at the stats for the game confirms it was pretty even, Villa missed a few chances and losing Mings was pivotal.

Totally agree, we had to move McGinn to the left where he's not played much not got an understanding with Digne. We then had to play Bailey. 

If either Buendia or Ransey were fit they would have started on Left with McGinn on right and the midfield 4 would have had a better foothold. Losing both players in a position is bad enough, but we lost Buendia after our training prep for Newcastle was completed. We had no Ramsey to come in. 

Remember when we lost 4 1 to Leicester at Villa Park. These things happen.

19 hours ago, DCJonah said:

To be fair, your ownership should never have been allowed to happen and they seem fair rules to me. 

Agree with both of those points. I was just making the point that given those rules have been brought in to stymie our progress (which is fine) why then would officials go out of there way to help us out?

Â