Ratings & Reactions: Newcastle v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

187 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 14/08/23 at 22:59

We have all been Villa fans long enough to know, this is what happens when we are expecting more. We have lost by more and we have won by more. I am sure Unai has a plan B. lets take the stick and hope the wolves get beat by 6 on Monday 

7 hours ago, Podster said:

I believe if Emery had put Pau and Tieleymans on from the start they would have gave their all to impress. Can anyone even suggest they would have been worse than Bailey. Cash and a few others.

Tielemans was worse than Cash.

There was a fair bit I agreed with in this post, but....

8 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:
  • AND the weird desperate pathetic shit Martinez did

Is strange, he picked up a tactical booking and was otherwise excellent, making three or four big saves in an effort to keep us in the game, I thought he was our best player on the day. I have no idea what the "weird, desperate and pathetic shit" that he did is, can you explain?

8 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:
  • AND not getting Philogene on sooner

I'm not sure shoving on a tricky rookie would have been the answer - our problems were further back than that.

I watched the game over again today and confirmed my opinion that Newcastle played that game like a Cup final, you could see it in the players trying to get their fans going etc. They can't play any better than that and we had 3-4 of our staring players unavailable.

Newcastle sent out a statement, but they can't play at that level week in week out, but knew they had to beat us.

Normal service will resume next match.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, maltesemike said:

I’m adamant that Barnes was offside prior to him assisting the Wilson goal. Cannot understand how VAR got that one wrong.

I think they bought VAR at the same time as they signed Barnes. :rolleyes:

Of course he scored as usual, I also think that losing Tyrone in that way, had an impact on the mindset of the players, as well as the organisation of our defence. That smug look on Staveley's face at the end made me cringe too. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, The Moustache of Teale said:

You make a fair point, and yet, just a few months ago when we played Newcastle at Villa Park the opposite was true - we bullied them and were first to pretty much everything that day. It’s baffling how things change from game to game.

We shouldn’t underestimate how up for that game Newcastle likely were given 1.) we smashed them a couple of months ago; 2.) we were better than them in pre season (and tonali in particular was embarrassed); 3.) there’s been a media narrative brewing that we’re the other top 6 pretender.

They had all the ingredients there to be massively psyched up for the game. Now arguably we should have felt the same given beating Newcastle would have been a huge statement of intent. But the home advantage plus mings’ injury squashed our mentality 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

I watched the game over again today and confirmed my opinion that Newcastle played that game like a Cup final, you could see it in the players trying to get their fans going etc. They can't play any better than that and we had 3-4 of our staring players unavailable.

Newcastle sent out a statement, but they can't play at that level week in week out, but knew they had to beat us.

Normal service will resume next match.

The high press and high intensity is their identity under Howe.

9 hours ago, Spoony said:

I’m so tired of this “loser” rhetoric that gets thrown around. The same losers that finished 7th in the premier league? That beat this same lot 4-0 last season? That are in Europe?

It’s a game of fine margins. And that’s multiplied by a lot when you’re playing (like or not) a champions league team who will be right up there this season. A fully fit Villa would be lucky to get a point at St James’ Park. Instead we have a Villa who lose a key player just before the first game, have another key player out injured and lose another key player and our absolute rock to a serious injury about 28 mins in. Then we miss a few sitters, concede a dodgy goal and that’s it. You have that kind of shit luck and poor finishing against an elite team and you get punished, and we were. 

This game just needs to be forgotten about. Everything that could have gone wrong did, the players lost their heads and we got punished by one of the best teams in the league. It’s shit but it happens. Move on. 

Last season was our only decent season in 13 years. Since 2010 or 2011 we have probably lost twice as many games as we have won at this level. So you can look at us very much as losers in this day and age, even when we have a very good team and manager which we will supposedly do now we still get hammered by teams we should be competing with (and Newcastle are overrated, the two teams were very even on paper yesterday and they shouldn't be beating us 5-1, in fact no team should be doing that to us with the possible exception of City). Obviously losing Mings was a huge blow and I wish him all the best, but Pau Torres is a player that the elite teams were looking at and should be more than good enough for this level. Same with Carlos. Emery got his tactics all wrong by playing that stupid high line against a side with lots of runners in behind and he needs to buck up his ideas fast in these types of games.

We do need to move on very quickly but the result has really shaken me up. We need to win the next two games as a minimum against teams that will be battling relegation (Everton and Burnley) and if we do that then I'll feel ok again. If we don't it could be a long season and Emery needs to massively sort things out. We also need to go back into the market for at least 2-3 players because with the injuries we currently do not have a squad to compete for trophies and near the top of the Premier League.,

Said in the pre-match thread I was expecting a narrow loss but didn’t expect to see Villa concede 5 today. Guess when your now missing 4 of the starting 11 from last season it just unsettles the team too much.

Not going to over react, Newcastle were well up for it today and deserved the win. We will bounce back from this. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

The high press and high intensity is their identity under Howe.

I'm talking about their mentality and how they approached the opening game of the season. howe had those players wound up and ready like a Cup final, not the first game of the season.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Wouldn’t be VT without one or two people characterising perfectly understandable reactions to a terrible performance and the awful injury to Mings as “bed wetting”. Why do this? It’s almost like posting for effect.

See the post above yours. Well over the top and as the season plays out will be shown to be total over the top bollocks.

I keep on reading on twitter that Newcastle are streets ahead of us and I just don't think that's true. We had a terrible day at the office, we looked undercooked and didn't adjust well to the Ming's injury, but we were still in it until the Konsa mistake. For me Emery got the lineup wrong but we are not that far behind and on another day we could easily beat them. Things will turn good.

PS. I clearly have no idea what the offside rule is because their second looked offside all day.

Edited by Wurzel
Additional text
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, John said:

I think they bought VAR at the same time as they signed Barnes. :rolleyes:

Of course he scored as usual, I also think that losing Tyrone in that way, had an impact on the mindset of the players, as well as the organisation of our defence. That smug look on Staveley's face at the end made me cringe too. 

The goal for 2-1 and the Wilson goal VAR should have chalked off. Seeing Ming's so distressed when he's been at the heart of things since coming up deffo had an effect too. 

We made mistakes, VAR made mistakes, we lost another key player but we aren't all of a sudden a terrible, shit, clueless etc etc football team. We just aren't.

• Like 1

Still frustrating the day after....

All the positivity gone, injuries, players looking lost, the high-line...

Still amazed their second wasn't offside when Villa got called for one exactly the same at the end of the first-half.

My view on the game for what its worth ....

Fast start by Newcastle, & deservedly took the lead, thought we reacted well & equalised, it was fine margins 1st half 3 big chance for both teams Newcastle took 2 of them we took just the 1. Massive blow 1st half regards Mings hoping & preying it's not season ending 😢 big blow if it is. Onto 2nd half & we'll it was poor defensively but I put that to Mings off injured & Konsa been moved into a back 3 with Carlos & Torres who I don't think have played many minutes together as yet. Not a turning point but if Cash converts that chance at 3-1 to make it 3-2 it may have got Newcastle nervous but hey ho, having a day to think about it this result could do us more good in the long term, still have time in window to add to sqaud & he will tweak ways of playing due to the personal we have available, don't forget also we had Moreno, Ramsey, Beundia & an hour without Mings yesterday, take 4 big players out of any team in the Premiership that would disrupt any team. Think we need a couple of new additions in the forward line & maybe now another centre half, Cash needs competition, not saying get shot of him but he was not at the races yesterday for what ever reason. & as for Bailey I've stuck by him & hoped he would come good but think Philogene has to start ahead of him now.

Desperately sorry for Mings.  Chasing back, he was already a victim of our own high line.  But he was also unbalanced by Isaac’s nudge, causing his legs to get tangled up.  I know that would never be given as a foul,  but I do wonder - it wasn’t a “shoulder charge” between two players with an equal chance of going for the ball (in my view Mings had done well to get his body just in front of Isaac) but a “jockey”, something which is a routine part of the game when it involves two standing players and a high ball, but potentially quite dangerous to inflict on someone running at pace.  

Interesting game yesterday. Although the scoreline was massively one sided I don’t feel like the game was like that til the last 20 mins when your heads dropped. Obviously the injury to Mings rocked you massively and I hope for his sake that it isn’t as bad as it looked.

I thought we were quite shaky at the back in the first half but tightened up to our normal selves in the second half. Will put it down to a bit of rustiness and some good play from Diaby. You looked excellent going forwards in patches. I think we’re quite well matched teams, despite the last few league games having very one sided scorelines.

From our point of view it’s quite exciting to see the talent we have moving forwards, such strength in depth especially in the midfield three and up top. I think Isak has finally put to bed the “best NUFC striker since Shearer” debate that’s often had in Tyneside boozers. He’s an absolute freak. The closest thing to an Henry clone we’ll see, and I’ll be staggered if the absolute top teams aren’t in for him at some point.

I do think we’re short of a right winger but that’ll probably be next summers priority. One more defender in and we’ll be looking to have good depth all over the pitch.

Edited by MagInPeace
  • Like 3

going forward, in attack - we'll be fine, with a little more composure. 

Defence under Emery has been good, apart from the odd game, yesterday and Leicester at home last season. 

Please, don't panic people - it's all ok

• Like 1

1 hour ago, QldVilla said:

I'm talking about their mentality and how they approached the opening game of the season. howe had those players wound up and ready like a Cup final, not the first game of the season.

that was the difference for me, mentality and intensity - we we're slow and soft - they were aggressive. That was the difference. 

• Like 1

Â