Ratings & Reactions: Newcastle v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

187 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 14/08/23 at 22:59

33 minutes ago, Liono said:

that was the difference for me, mentality and intensity - we we're slow and soft - they were aggressive. That was the difference. 

fundamentally....thats it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Robtaylor200 said:

We have all been Villa fans long enough to know, this is what happens when we are expecting more. 

This bit was actually all you needed to post.

Losing wasn’t a surprise to me, being absolutely arseraped WAS.

And hugely disappointing, thought these kind of results we in the past.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

We did the same to them last season.

Then the went on a great run of form after.

Sometimes you come up against a great team who are unplayable on their day and have to take the L.

4 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

It was always going to be a hard game.

We were away, to a team that finished 3rd and had a full house behind them and a taste of revenge in their mouth.

I wouldn't have minded a draw and I wouldn't have been shocked to see a 2-1 defeat.

I'm not going to hide behind the injury to Mings too much. We were largely 2nd best yesterday to most things, they didn't give us a minute to breath.

When Tyrone went off though, you may aswell have blown the final whistle then as we just didn't seem to recover or be at the races beyond that point.

Don't know why anyone cares about the result really. Mings injury ruined it and we were never going to win anyway. Trust Emery to sort it out. Toughest opening fixture there is minus City. Atmosphere and pressing just unplayable, especially after losing your organiser and basically captain. Some pathetic comments in this thread.

Edited by gilbertoAVFC

After having a few hours to digest that game...these are my observations.

I kind of expected the defeat, for the very reasons we saw, but not the scoreline.....conceding 5 goals should never be expected from any team with aspirations.

That performance of ours primarily invited that performance from them.....it was all our own doing.

I am not going to go in to character assassinations as they detract from the analytics, but I accept, certain players were more culpable than others.

These are just my opinions of course....everyone is entitled to theirs

My observations from the game itself

• The first 2 goals were too easy to concede, players not marking and not following runners with any aggression.....The offside claims, were understandable, but its not going to save us, bitching about it.
  • We have players who were simply not standing up to the rigours of the game, by losing possession too easily...we allowed them to bully us.
  • Ollies wasteful miss, and Ezri's poor error, changed the complexion of the game...it cemented their initiative.
  • I thought UE got the selection of personnel wrong....paying little attention to the possible physicality of the game...which proved to be a large part of our undoing.
  • I am not sure why we created a NEED for Tyrone and Emi M  to be committed to the left hand side of the pitch, near the byline....in terms of organisation, that was questionable and both suffered adverse, one an injury, the other a yellow card.....why was they even there?
  • I do not see this game as a "one off".....signs were there in Pre-season of defensive frailties.
  • After the equaliser, why did we not employ similar defensive tactics, to what we did away to Spurs, and create a low block, to frustrate them....its not a popularity contest.....we were never going to out gun them on their own turf.
  • Why did we continue to play the highline, when it was clear they had it as their main tactic to undo us......We did a similar thing against Leicester, where Harvey Barnes was co-incidently a feature....smacks of naivety. Our highline suited them more than us, that was questionable?
  • UE is clearly a top coach, but EH showed a certain pragmatism, from a well rounded squad, his approach was simple, but effective.
  • Several of our players was not ideally suited to the way Newcastle, was likely to play.
  • I thought we defaulted to past managers doctrine after the 3rd goal and abandoned our new found discipline.
  • Moussa Diaby filled me with the modicum of Joy, I was hoping for....under the circumstances, a credible contribution, in terms of a superb finish

My General Observations from the past/last season.

• Despite the tremendous performance overall, last season, some of the games flaws have been in evidence during the 3 game wobble, and Pre-seasons games against Newcastle & Brentford.
  • Our squad while generally impressive is also vulnerable to weakness, physicality still alludes us on a consistent basis, the odd game is ok, but against the top 8 sides, its hit and miss.
  • Predicting our seasons finish might be fun for some, but its far too unpredictable to reason as recent events have shown.
  • I have to ask myself, how much BS surrounds a "pre-season", because recent seasons starts under different managers, have shown no evidence, that they carry the value some subscribe to.
  • While yesterday was one game.....the underlying vulnerabilities are still there....and rear their ugly heads from time to time.

Recruitment this window

• Whilst I am happy overall, and the theme in the 3 players, seems to be the ability to pass the ball, which is fine.....but in squad balance, I'm looking for a bit more.
  • I want to see players courted who have a defensive football brain.
  • I want to see players, who have an appetite for physicality and welcome a 50/50 battle
  • I want to see players who leave the frills to others and willing to engage in stopping other teams
  • I want to see full backs who can defend and stop crosses or frustrate crosses.

Yesterdays game is not food for a crisis, but it does raise many questions....and if we feel, that it doesn't, we are deluding ourselves.

Some of the fanciful predictions of league table finish, leaves me thinking, that some fans don't see the rudiments of games like yesterdays.....and careful research will tell you thay are not "one offs"

just as we are capable of scoring great goals, we are just as easily capable of letting in stupors.

UE has a lot of work to do, still.......We need to let him and Monchie get on with it.......At least we know now, UE is not an alien.....He is Human.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

I think that is the main point.

I saw it as a 2-1

I hope we can find a few in the transfer market, who have a natural eye/ savvy for defending.

19 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

We did the same to them last season.

Then the went on a great run of form after.

Sometimes you come up against a great team who are unplayable on their day and have to take the L.

Worth a read re UE’s tactical style.

37 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

It was always going to be a hard game.

We were away, to a team that finished 3rd and had a full house behind them and a taste of revenge in their mouth.

I wouldn't have minded a draw and I wouldn't have been shocked to see a 2-1 defeat.

I'm not going to hide behind the injury to Mings too much. We were largely 2nd best yesterday to most things, they didn't give us a minute to breath.

When Tyrone went off though, you may aswell have blown the final whistle then as we just didn't seem to recover or be at the races beyond that point.

Yep

Made harder by some of our actions.

We was a shadow, of the team that beat them at Villa park.....of course the crowd with you makes a huge difference.....but then that makes "Leadership" an Interesting debate. 

That was a tough watch, 2nd best all over the pitch, Isak and Tonali ran the show and we had no answers. I said it in preseason, Kamara has looked well off it and really didn’t work hard enough. I’m also done with Bailey, lazy twit 

• Like 1

Yesterday was desperate, killed all the confidence I had about this season in 90 minutes. Mings injury is heartbreaking, the timing of it is horrendous not only for the team but for him personally. I remembered last night though that a full strength Brighton got mauled 5-1 by relegation battling Everton when Brighton were peaking last season, things will be fine. I mentioned yesterday I’ve seen so much analysis about our lack of pressing higher up the pitch, I think this needs to change. With the changes to the offside rule and the lack of cohesion between Torres, Konsa and Carlos I think our high line mightn’t be the way forward. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VillaJay said:

Arsenal fan with a bias against Emery, wouldn't read too much into his thoughts, plenty of contradiction in his own posts.

Yep, apparently our issue that we play a high line but also simultaneously play a low block

I think we have some issues defensively. Just looking at the goals conceded in preseason, they were poor. It can be glossed over as much as you like by saying it’s only a friendly blah blah, but, if the players are doing as instructed or if what they are being asked isn’t working, then we are going to have real issues. 

Yesterday was a highly embarrassing wake up call. I really did not expect us to be propping up the entire table come the end of match week 1. 

Edited by Tayls

We missed the legs of Ramsey and the midfield just watched their new lad, show how it should be done. They were stronger faster and fitter than us in most departments, the high line was suicide on the day and why we never changed it got us a 5-1 drubbing. The way we fold so easily is a worry and until we get stronger, fitter and  players with a mental capacity to fight now and again it will end this way.   Men against boys.

I am happy to put this down to a bad day at the office. Trying hard not to look too hard through my claret/Blue glasses, but we’re they really 5 goals better than us?

Two tight calls - nothing went right for us, the timing of the goals, Mings, it was as though, try as we might we couldn’t get a foothold in the game. 
Bailey was so ineffective it was like playing with 10 men - so clearly this did not help matters, plus do any of us know what is our best team ? I certainly don’t and I’m unsure if even Unai is either just yet. This said I think Tielemans will start the next game.

Were we also feeling a little sorry for ourselves because firstly Emi, then Ty and the two tight goals ?

So many factors to take into consideration imo 

Still all rather depressing....

Looking back in hindsight Villa were just so tentative and allowed them to play.

First five minutes I commented this doesn't look good...

Yes losing Mings only hindered us further but it such a worry that Villa crumble without him (one player). Others need to rise to the challenge. Mings out potentially long term is going to hurt us due to him being such a collussus last season and I think we will concede goals every week now.

In preseason our highline was undone by the Barcodes twice and also by Brentford twice. Why didn't they learn from it? So naive which is rather worrying....

Â