Ratings & Reactions: Newcastle v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

187 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 14/08/23 at 22:59

19 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

You are totally subjective...try objectivity. Why was ownership even allowed, ask yourself. It's money...

If Villa had scored those two goals (the first and second) they would have been reviewed and cancelled. 

And by the way it isn't necessarily a conspiracy against Villa but favouritism towards your dirty club.

Like I said to the other lad, the takeover shouldn't have been allowed. But the PL have come up with new rules to slow us down, so why would they help us out with corrupt officiating?

There's no conspiracy for us or against you man, it's just incompetence. 

2 minutes ago, TheFish said:

Like I said to the other lad, the takeover shouldn't have been allowed. But the PL have come up with new rules to slow us down, so why would they help us out with corrupt officiating?

There's no conspiracy for us or against you man, it's just incompetence. 

I think someone has already asked.  But what are these?

20 hours ago, andym said:

They only lost twice at home last season, and gave out some beatings to some decent sides: beat Brentford 5-1, Spurs 6-1, Brighton 4-1, us 4-0 and also stuck 3 past Man City in a draw.

Weirdly they scored less against the poorer teams like Leeds, Wolves, Leicester etc.

Maybe they just really raise their game in certain situations?

Last season we really struggled to break through teams that came to sit in and hit us on the break. Hopefully now that we've got a little more quality in the middle of the pitch we should be able to unpick those camped in teams. When we face better sides (like you) who are more positive, we've a better chance of playing in the space. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Harkanon said:

I think someone has already asked.  But what are these?

New commercial deals should be independent from the ownership, and if they're not they must be assessed to make sure they're fair market value. (So our owners couldn't sponsor our training ground for millions, like Everton's did theirs.)

Transfers between clubs who have some kind of linked ownership must be assessed to make sure the fees are fair market value. (so no Watford/Udinese or Man City/NYCFC shenanigans for us and the state owned Saudi league clubs)

One member of staff in the technical area at any one time. (brought in to stop Tindall doing what plenty of Assistant Managers have done in the past.)

Don't really have a problem with any of them, but they're 100% been brought in because the PL need to close off any shortcuts our ownership could have used.

17 minutes ago, TheFish said:

New commercial deals should be independent from the ownership, and if they're not they must be assessed to make sure they're fair market value. (So our owners couldn't sponsor our training ground for millions, like Everton's did theirs.)

Transfers between clubs who have some kind of linked ownership must be assessed to make sure the fees are fair market value. (so no Watford/Udinese or Man City/NYCFC shenanigans for us and the state owned Saudi league clubs)

One member of staff in the technical area at any one time. (brought in to stop Tindall doing what plenty of Assistant Managers have done in the past.)

Don't really have a problem with any of them, but they're 100% been brought in because the PL need to close off any shortcuts our ownership could have used.

I think to claim these are brought in to slow down Newcastle has a whiff of victimhood.  The first two have been identified as activities already performed by others and clamped down on.  The last one - are you serious?

7 minutes ago, Harkanon said:

I think to claim these are brought in to slow down Newcastle has a whiff of victimhood.  The first two have been identified as activities already performed by others and clamped down on.  The last one - are you serious?

It's not victimhood mate, those rules were rushed in after the takeover. Which I get, it's an attempt to stop us dropping £500m on transfers every season, funded by a £12m a year training ground sponsorship deal with PIF, to propel us up the league like Man City or Chelsea. I don't think it's victimhood to say that those rules wouldn't have been introduced if we were still owned by Ashley. Though I'm not sure he paid fair market value for stadium naming rights, but that's not really important any more.

It wouldn't be fair or right if we just ignored FFP, and bought up the most expensive players we could, so these rules are justified. But to say they weren't brought in because of us is a little silly, in my opinion.

Apparently, Alex Ferguson thinks we were hard done by the weekend and played some great football. I'm starting to think he's a bit confused and is referring to the time when we played them up there and was all over them, with Big John Carew smashing a few windows with a wayward penalty, and then us going on to get smashed, once again!

There is no way we deserved anything other than what we got last Saturday. 

• Like 1

On 15/08/2023 at 10:19, TheFish said:

**** good

On 13/08/2023 at 16:11, onmeedson said:

We missed the legs of Ramsey and the midfield just watched their new lad, show how it should be done. They were stronger faster and fitter than us in most departments, the high line was suicide on the day and why we never changed it got us a 5-1 drubbing. The way we fold so easily is a worry and until we get stronger, fitter and  players with a mental capacity to fight now and again it will end this way.   Men against boys.

I understand the journey,we are on,  and it’s still WIP, but stronger faster and fitter, is something we need to take in, to pursue more, in recruitment…..we should be applauded for getting good passers of the ball, but we need a bit more than that.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, TRO said:

I understand the journey,we are on,  and it’s still WIP, but stronger faster and fitter, is something we need to take in to pursue more in recruitment…..we should be applauded for getting good passers of the ball, but we need more than that.

You know what we're missing?

A big black CDM

• Haha 1

On 15/08/2023 at 10:14, TheFish said:

Last season we really struggled to break through teams that came to sit in and hit us on the break. Hopefully now that we've got a little more quality in the middle of the pitch we should be able to unpick those camped in teams. When we face better sides (like you) who are more positive, we've a better chance of playing in the space. 

I think that’s right…..I think we played the wrong game……away, first game of the season against a vocal and partisan crowd, with high expectation was naive IMO

We are generally better than that, offering.

I take no credit away from Newcastle’s performance,but don’t expect such benevolence in future fixtures.

23 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Apparently, Alex Ferguson thinks we were hard done by the weekend and played some great football. I'm starting to think he's a bit confused and is referring to the time when we played them up there and was all over them, with Big John Carew smashing a few windows with a wayward penalty, and then us going on to get smashed, once again!

There is no way we deserved anything other than what we got last Saturday. 

I agree with you sheepy….we played the wrong game.it’s hard to say UE Got it wrong,but I Believe he did….I also thought too many of our players were off it, maybe compounded by the way we approached the game.

We should have been more like we was away to Spurs.  We cannot always be eye candy, we have to respect the ability of opposing teams and stay tighter…..giving up space is a killer to good teams.

On 15/08/2023 at 10:54, TheFish said:

It's not victimhood mate, those rules were rushed in after the takeover. Which I get, it's an attempt to stop us dropping £500m on transfers every season, funded by a £12m a year training ground sponsorship deal with PIF, to propel us up the league like Man City or Chelsea. I don't think it's victimhood to say that those rules wouldn't have been introduced if we were still owned by Ashley. Though I'm not sure he paid fair market value for stadium naming rights, but that's not really important any more.

It wouldn't be fair or right if we just ignored FFP, and bought up the most expensive players we could, so these rules are justified. But to say they weren't brought in because of us is a little silly, in my opinion.

The Unfair ownership malarkey/narrative was started with Chelsea and Man City, so its hot air for me....Good luck to Newky in that respect.....What your owners stand for, is a bit complex for me, too many twists and turns of political opinion.

Personally, I am happy to see Newcastle and Villa to challenge the big boys.

22 hours ago, TRO said:

I think that’s right…..I think we played the wrong game……away, first game of the season against a vocal and partisan crowd, with high expectation was naive IMO

We are generally better than that, offering.

I take no credit away from Newcastle’s performance,but don’t expect such benevolence in future fixtures.

Before Mings went off I think it was a close game, but once you lost him to injury the game got away from you. Then as the game went on you seemed to tire and we got stronger. I don't think that result/performance is indicative of how either team will play the rest of the season. You'll still have a very good season, you're too good not to. 

I wouldn't be shocked to see us lose the return leg at Villa Park.

1 hour ago, TheFish said:

Before Mings went off I think it was a close game, but once you lost him to injury the game got away from you. Then as the game went on you seemed to tire and we got stronger. I don't think that result/performance is indicative of how either team will play the rest of the season. You'll still have a very good season, you're too good not to. 

I wouldn't be shocked to see us lose the return leg at Villa Park.

Losing three first teamers is never good, Buendia is crucial to how Villa press.

Moreno had Trippier on toast and is the better player too; he was a major factor for Villa too.

Then Jacob Ramsey is a massive miss to how Villa play.

Then Mings, just a bad day all round...

14 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Losing three first teamers is never good, Buendia is crucial to how Villa press.

Moreno had Trippier on toast and is the better player too; he was a major factor for Villa too.

Then Jacob Ramsey is a massive miss to how Villa play.

Then Mings, just a bad day all round...

Forgive me, is this an in joke or something? I don't get it.

2 minutes ago, TheFish said:

Forgive me, is this an in joke or something? I don't get it.

In the 3-0 at Villa Park...

Bested him on every exchange, pre-match I remember saying that would be a weak point for you. It turned out exactly that...

Pity Moreno was missing last week.

10 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

In the 3-0 at Villa Park...

Bested him on every exchange, pre-match I remember saying that would be a weak point for you. It turned out exactly that...

Pity Moreno was missing last week.

Ahh, fair enough, yeah we were terrible that game and you were absolutely deserved winners. I don't think any of our lot got the better of their counterpart.

Moreno's not better than Trippier overall though. Don't want to get into a spat or anything, but I have to stick up for him.

I rewatched the match yesterday with all the emotion out of it.  We were well and truly still in the game until Newcastle scored their 3rd then it all fell apart and they dominated the rest of the match.  Newcastle's fans really make St. James Park the worst place to play in the Prem for us.  We really missed Ramsey and Buendia because McGinn was completely anonymous the first half trying to fill in on that role on the left.  Diaby is a player...  Can't wait to see more of him.  Ollie was unlucky to not score, same with Cash.  Konsa's horrific error really personified how unfocused our backline became after Tyrone was stretchered off.  Kamara also had a mare, which needs to be addressed going forward. 

On the positive side, I'm glad we got all these issues out in the first game of the season because it highlighted how weak we are on the left side of the pitch without Buendia, Ramsey, and Moreno and we need to reshuffle the backline without Mings.  Looks like Monchi has sprung into action to get Zaniolo and Acuna in before the weekend and I trust Emery will make serious adjustments in our defensive shape.  Hoping to see us batter Everton in response this weekend with Villa Park in full voice. 

• Like 1

Â