Ratings & Reactions: Newcastle v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

187 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 14/08/23 at 22:59

1 hour ago, Leeroy said:

Still can't believe we've lost 5-1 to Newcastle, what an absolute bunch of losers we are.

I’m so tired of this “loser” rhetoric that gets thrown around. The same losers that finished 7th in the premier league? That beat this same lot 4-0 last season? That are in Europe?

It’s a game of fine margins. And that’s multiplied by a lot when you’re playing (like or not) a champions league team who will be right up there this season. A fully fit Villa would be lucky to get a point at St James’ Park. Instead we have a Villa who lose a key player just before the first game, have another key player out injured and lose another key player and our absolute rock to a serious injury about 28 mins in. Then we miss a few sitters, concede a dodgy goal and that’s it. You have that kind of shit luck and poor finishing against an elite team and you get punished, and we were. 

This game just needs to be forgotten about. Everything that could have gone wrong did, the players lost their heads and we got punished by one of the best teams in the league. It’s shit but it happens. Move on. 

• Like 1

While not quite as bad as opening day last season - Newcastle are actually a good side - the scoreline and manner of defeat has tempered my expectations somewhat.

3 things I learned:

• We already miss Buendia
  • Without Mings or McGinn we are leaderless
  • Digne and Cash < Moreno and Young
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Bailey was decent, you're just wrong here. He got some rough stuff, and didn't get protection, when he tried to do the same to Gordan as Gordan was doing to him the ref blew. Bailey wasn't at fault for the goals. We got penned in by the high press  for much of the first half. The defense and midfield did a poor job of playing through them. Bailey had bugger all to work with. 

Bailey was decent?   I'm far from his biggest critic but all I saw from him was giving the ball away, being challenged and losing it, or falling over and failing to  get a free kick.  Can you name one genuinely decent thing he did? I can think of one ok cross and that's it.  In fact can you name one notable contribution he's made in an away game ever? I honestly struggle to think of anything since he's been with us.   Inconsistent at VP, usually anonymous away from home.  

Been a horrible day for the club and it’s easy to go in on the players and manager. One thing I will say if you’ve ever played on a team where someone suffers a serious injury it does have an effect on you mentally. Not using Mings injury as an excuse as they are all professionals but when you see a mate clearly upset, it’s bound to effect you. 

• Like 2

I actually didn’t criticise Leon for his defending or specific mistakes in that sense… he didn’t affect the game positively in any sense really… giving possession away cheaply and contributing next to nothing…

But the whole team was poor…

McGinn was almost absent… and he’s usually the one to drive us on…

Always wanted Leon to do well but I have to admit that I am running out of patience… he was poor vs Valencia too and didn’t look right…

What’s been most concerning is his body language… he looks exhausted and not “mentally right” if that makes sense, almost defeated…

But… it doesn’t feel right to single out individuals at/for this game… everyone was so off it, and I was just asking the question - why?

Players must have been affected by Emi’s injury beforehand but I wouldn’t have thought that would have affected today’s performance…

I’ve no doubt that they were shaken by Ty’s injury… just watching footage of it made me distressed and upset… imagine watching it all unfold…

I’m not looking for any excuses… just genuinely wondering why we played so poorly… what were the reasons or causes?

For everyone saying this is an overreaction you are wrong, this was a humiliation, despite Mings injury. Emery and the team will be in shock, this was never on the agenda and Emery plans in a big way, he is not complacent. Hopefully it’s a one off, but the scoreline didn’t flatter Newcastle, at 3-1 many called more goals, it was a collapse.

Edited by thunderball
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Another thing I notice.

Whenever we are the " Feature " game of the evening, we tend to be absolutely shite.

Ensuring that it gets maximum exposure and that we are trolled by opposition fans non stop.

And whenever the media start to big us up - we always **** it up as well. I was out today and missed the game on tv. Unfortunately i was out with my bestie and her partner is a Newcastle fan🙄

• Sad 1

38 minutes ago, WHY said:

Been a horrible day for the club and it’s easy to go in on the players and manager. One thing I will say if you’ve ever played on a team where someone suffers a serious injury it does have an effect on you mentally. Not using Mings injury as an excuse as they are all professionals but when you see a mate clearly upset, it’s bound to effect you. 

Totally agree with what you say other than actually I think it can be used as an excuse. And they should be excused. Seeing two players go out to ACLs puts that element of doubt or hesitation in your head that you just can’t have at this level. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, thunderball said:

For everyone saying this is an overreaction you are wrong, this was a humiliation, despite Mings injury. Emery and the team will be in shock, this was never on the agenda and Emery plans in a big way, he is not complacent. Hopefully 'it’s a one off, but the scoreline didn’t flatter Newcastle, at 3-1 many called more goals, it was a collapse.

I agree. It's not just a let-down from "unrealistic" preseason expectations. There was a punishing and sinister quality to it that I don't think I've really ever experienced as a Villa supporter because of the combination of:

• the Mings' injury
  • AND the abject failure of Leon Bailey
  • AND the weird desperate pathetic shit Martinez did
  • AND Ollie's ridiculous and perfectly typical miss
  • AND Konsa's error
  • AND not getting Philogene on sooner
  • AND Kamara running around like he was playing a completely different match from everyone else

I could go on ... I feel angry about today. We have some serious weaknesses that were exposed, and it's embarrassing. And really, totally unexpected. So yeah, it's humiliating. 

BUT BUT BUT ... it's just football. I don't take it too seriously, I would hope There are children in cancer wards and refugees fleeing wars and people starving to death in the world, and sometimes it's important to remember this is all just entertainment, isn't it.

But yeah, what a shit experience -- in the context. It was, all in all, a very Villa day, I suppose. We'll probably lose to Everton and beat Citeh now, you watch.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

Just now, Zatman said:

Dean Smith schooled Klopp for a 7-2 win. These things happen in football

Exactly. This is being objective. Losing ones head because of today's result isn't.

There are no excuses the players could come up with to excuse that shower, they played like they were still on holiday in America.

It's no good saying that this player or that player had a good pre season so they deserved to get picked, the pre season games were mostly a joke, having 20 players from a team take part in a game turns it into a kick about.

There is no point in having some great summer signings and then starting with the same players in the team that were consistantly useless last season.

There were players who should no have been in the starting 11.

I believe if Emery had put Pau and Tieleymans on from the start they would have gave their all to impress. Can anyone even suggest they would have been worse than Bailey. Cash and a few others.

9 minutes ago, Podster said:

There are no excuses the players could come up with to excuse that shower, they played like they were still on holiday in America.

It's no good saying that this player or that player had a good pre season so they deserved to get picked, the pre season games were mostly a joke, having 20 players from a team take part in a game turns it into a kick about.

There is no point in having some great summer signings and then starting with the same players in the team that were consistantly useless last season.

There were players who should no have been in the starting 11.

I believe if Emery had put Pau and Tieleymans on from the start they would have gave their all to impress. Can anyone even suggest they would have been worse than Bailey. Cash and a few others.

Pretty much this.

Everything that could go wrong did go wrong.

We missed Buendia in the press, which left our high line way more exposed than usual, and then without Mings it became very ragged very quickly, and Newcastle have exactly the kind of players to punish that.

Throw in some very questionable officiating that prevented us from having any meaningful amount of ball and the end result is a bit of a drubbing.

I don't think Newcastle did anything special, nor were they particularly that good, just very ruthless and efficient.

When Mings went off it had a serious effect on the team, and some will scream that it shouldn't that they are professionals yadda yadda, but they are also humans, even Emery seemed in shock as he was stretchered off, and he's seen and done it all.

It's just another bad day in what has been a bad week, not every day will be like this and I trust Mr Emery will be working quadruple time to ensure it doesn't happen again, even though a good portion of this week has been entirely out of his control.

I did very much enjoy Watkins putting Botman on his ass though, small victories eh?

A complete and utter disaster? No.We were out muscled and out fought by a very strong team.

For me the worst thing about today is the loss of Mings.Many opposing fans and some Villa fans criticise him but to me he has been a rock in defence and we always seem weaker without him.

We need to stay loyal to the general direction of travel and not shit the bed.

• Like 1