Nicolò Zaniolo

Delphinho123

30 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

I'd be interested to see if he looks any different with Moreno behind him. A totally different kind of full back to Digne, really.

I can't really see why it would make that much difference. His first touch is poor, and he gets dispossessed far too easily. 7 times in one half yesterday. That's not going to change just because somebody different is passing him the ball.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Risso said:

I can't really see why it would make that much difference. His first touch is poor, and he gets dispossessed far too easily. 7 times in one half yesterday. That's not going to change just because somebody different is passing him the ball.

Moreno is quicker and gets up to support and even beyond the attacker a lot sooner than Digne, which gives the defence more to think about.

Zaniolo's passing can be quite cute and I think Moreno would benefit from that.

The first touch and being dispossessed thing, I can't make an argument. It's strange though, because from what I've seen of him elsewhere he looks really polished.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Philosopher said:

I felt Bailey tried to make thing happen, but he was double teamed most of the time. 

I'd personally have taken off McGinn for Bailey. I felt that although Zaniolo wasn't particularly effective we had zero threat on the right as both McGinn and Cash were totally shut down. It was a poor game from both McGinn and Cash. Bailey at least provide a threat and we were far more dangerous down that side when Bailey came on.

However when McGinn moved to the left it was worse there. Only Digne provided any attacking threat, at least Zaniolo was getting into dangerous positions and asking more questions. 

In hindsight the half time subs should've been Bailey for McGinn, and Carlos for Cash. Then maybe Mangala wouldn't  have even had that shooting chance. Cash was getting murdered by Elanga defensively, and did absolutely nothing offensively.

Theres no way you can call mcginn poor im not sure you have called that one fairly 

9 minutes ago, RicRic said:

Theres no way you can call mcginn poor im not sure you have called that one fairly 

He did have a poor game. He is played in one the creative positions and came nowhere near creating or scoring. Going forward he was impotent yesterday.

Only yesterday mind. But I do find a common theme that whenever he is kept quiet the team tend to lose.

• Like 2

I think the dispossession and misplaced passes is more of a product of Zaniolo still learning his role in an unfamiliar position. It took ages for Bailey to learn it and he’s just now comfortable with it. 

The rest of the team have played their roles for so long that they know when and where the passes are on and off whereas Zaniolo still looks like he needs more time to think where the pass is on. 

• Like 1

Zaniolo is in because there is a weakness on the left with Ramsey's injury.

So he's in at the deep end, he's trying but has missed some very good chances. 

Fans have a right to voice their concerns and the holier than though rhetoric doesn't really help.

Emery wants to win, and if a player like Zaniolo is not doing the business he gets subbed at half-time in consecutive matches. 

• Like 1

And more often than not those players have had poor runs of form.

It’s perfectly reasonable to question Zaniolo at the moment and to want to give Bailey a few games now before Ramsey comes in and makes it his own position again.

The focus will then go to Matty Cash because he is then clearly the weakest member of the XI and the next one that needs to be upgraded. 

Zaniolo is different to our other midfielders - Buendia excepted - in so much as he rarely takes the easy option. Instead, he tries to make things happen and when he is on his game, he breaks the game line and opens up opportunities for our forwards. When he is off his game however, he ends up running down blind alleys and giving the ball away.

I think he has things messing with his head at the moment but I really don't want to see his exuberant style tamed because it is very useful. Maybe he just needs a break and when Ramsey returns, I think he'll get that break. 

Edited by Paul33
  • Like 1

He looks a little fragile at the moment - he started really brightly against Forest, then on five minutes he was pulled back while on a run, struggled through the foul, got pulled back again and found the ref had decided not to give either - you could see his frustration and a moment later the break in his concentration meant that he didn't track a man he should have and we were a goal down - before and after that he was a different player, you could see the life drop out of him.

I just get the feeling he needs one thing to go right at the moment, he's in a new country in difficult circumstances and he wants to succeed - he looks to me to be a confidence player and he could really do with just something going in for him - if it does, then I think he'll really light up.

• Thanks 1

Â