Moussa Diaby

Delphinho123

13 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Tielemans, Pau and potentially Diaby as first three signings would be a sensational start to the transfer window, certainly quality over quantity at long last.

Then we can spend August leisurely adding depth so at least one new FB, new sub keeper and perhaps another forward but no rush on that one as would be giving Cam serious minutes in August and see how he does.

I think a second attacking player will follow Diaby (assuming it happens) through the door pretty quickly.  I think we've spoken to a few and they'll be looking at Pau and Diaby coming in and thinking "OK, these guys really seem to be walking the walk now" (or whatever a similar phrase might be in French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese) and following up on everything they spoke about before. 

I think with two new attacking players we're in a much better position to be able to give Archer a crack without him being under immediate pressure to deliver.  Plus of course he'll be supported by a stronger front line and so is likely to have more time and space and have better balls coming into him.

Edited by allani
  • Like 2

I've not seen loads of Diaby, but might we be looking to deploy him as a centre forward from time to time, instead of signing an outright alternative to Watkins? Not saying it's what we should be doing, but it's not like we've been linked with an abundance of centre forwards.

Just watched some highlights, there's definitely a 'decisive' element about him when it comes to finishing or his final ball. Something I think was lacking at times for us last season. 

Could see him crushing a lot of opposition fans hearts in tight games coming on for the last 20 and banging in a few goals or laying on assists after beating a few players.

Get him in!

• Like 1

Outrageous if we pull this off. 

Digne for Johnson swap too? Hi Champions league, been a while, we're looking to do another update on our badge and two stars would look lovely. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

We have Archer and Duran, of course, who can fill in at CF this season.

I wouldn’t trust either of them to play a load of full games in a row if Watkins was out for a few weeks.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KMitch said:

I mean he plays the same position, has the same build/attributes, and also had 1 huge breakout season for the same club as Bailey.  It's hard to not make the comparison.  

They don't play the same position. They both played in the same Leverkusen team at the same time and were very effective together.

Also  Diaby has had 3 seasons with similar stats, so not really one breakout season.

Whether that means we want to keep Bailey to play with him or not I'm not also sure, but they definitely can play with each other, and Diaby has a more consistent performance history. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, ender4 said:

I wouldn’t trust either of them to play a load of full games in a row if Watkins was out for a few weeks.  

Archer or Duran playing alongside Diaby and Ferran (or similar level players) for a few weeks is a VERY different prospect to having them supported by Buendia / Bailey.  Obviously we'd also have other options - especially when Ramsey is back fit and assuming that Tielemans is back to his best.  I'd be a lot less anxious if we have credible goal threats on either side so that we aren't so dependent on the CF scoring.

Â